• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

did i blow the motor...?

Installed the supercharger and thought all was well. ran it hard this weekend for about 20miles and all was ok except what i thought was bogging due to deep powder amd steam in the engine compartment. figuring id need to use a snorkel...

Well i took it out today for a short ride... again the temps have been very cold -10 or so for 2 days after my last ride. well it started fine... And i needed to break off a lot of ice. so started down the trail and anything over 1/4 throttle got me serious bog and it would nearly stalled so i limped along for a few miles thinkn it would clean out... not the case just more bog and it made no boost the entire time.

Well its still flipn cold and im pissed and dont want tlo start tearing in... any thoughts of were to start?

Sounds like what just happened to me only mine was a turbo.

It looks like the valves are toast and maybe the entire engine. I didn't have high enough octane in the tank and pushed it too hard. We dumped in some 102 octane but didn't account for the old fuel that was in the tank from last year. It was also really cold and I should have known better.

The turbo on mine is also shot. The bearing let go and ruined the turbo. It got so hot that it cooked all the oil out of the turbo and melted the plastics around it.

I hope you lucked out but my guess is that you are in for a complete rebuild. Good luck.

We will probably be parting our sled out.

i dont have a lot of experience with turbo sleds, but i've had some experience with turbocharged vehicles.

If it was me, I'd start with the piping. Check all connections for leaks, both exhaust and charge piping. From there i would a plug chop. Go as fast and steady as you can, then hit the kill switch and pull/analyze the plugs. Regardless of those results, I'd do a compression test, then depending on the results a leak down test. If all those are fine, you know its not a rings/valve issue, and you can look at fuel mapping or other tuning issues.

As a last step, start looking at the turbo, they are not that hard to split apart and check. One thing I've never understood is seeing people run turbo selds hard and then shut the key off. That just fries the hell out of the bearings in the turbo, even the ballbearing style GT turbos. Granted, if you did this in 20 miles there is something else really wrong, but I had to mention it as a last resort?

I hope you find a solution!

Dumb question,but did you break a blower belt? When mine broke it acted just like yours. You dump a lot of fuel but no air. What are you a/f numbers?

Well I didn't sleep much last night... Here's a little more background I stated I ran the sled hard a few days before for 20 miles that was total miles in and out of a few play areas. The running hard was more like short burst for small climbs and it ran flawless till the snow got real deep and it started to bog real bad. but once we got back on the trail heading back to the trucks and air was moving around it ran strong, and yes I let it ideal down prior to loading, again my initial thought was it's starving for air? My fuel mixture was most likely around 98 octane at 5lbs of boost, I feel like i was being conservative.

So in essence i loaded the sled thinking it was running fine, next time out it started fine and warmed up but never ran well once off the trailer.

Is it possible the steam and moisture from the days before which turned to ice could be causing me problems? or am i just being hopeful? The temps are suppose to warm up today and I can most likely start looking into it this evening.

Forgot to mention that...

A/F= around 10.2 at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle on the trail,

and yes it felt like it was starving for air, similar to when the carb heater is to hot or the air intake is clogged.

I would check your belt. That is way rich. Mine hit 10 on decel one time and I went over the handle bars. It is something to do with air. Even when your rich it will show boost under throttle. If your belt is ok, see if you can spin it by hand. You also may have lost a key on a pulley. You should be in the 12's at that throttle.

Im assuming your talking about the RXM in your signature?

Sounds like you got the carb settings screwed up under load. Do you have a under tunnel exhaust?

Do you have carb caps, stuff like that to keep it sealed?

If you are too rich on the top end it will really stumble,miss and quit when you go to give it throttle. Check your gems settings,I had this one time and thought something was really wrong 1.5 adustment on the altitude setting and it ran like a dream.

The RX-1 is a carbed sled, no GEMS box.

Do you recall your AFRs at WOT when it ran OK?

With yor octane and boost level I don't think you have broken your motor as long as you did not run it WOT way too lean.

Hope you can figure it out.

Back