• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Difference between early ECM and later ECM models?

snowman8

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Viper LTX LE & Phazer GT
I have a 2010 Nytro XTX that I believe the ECM has died.

I've got the dreaded er-1 code and no start. No noise from fuel pump.
Gauge lights up, engine cranks, acts like no fuel.
The code tells me the ECM is not communicating.

I've replaced the 3 relays with the red ones, made no difference.
I don't see any rubbed wires.
Battery new a year ago.
Anything else I should look for before ordering a $500 ECM?

I'm seeing 2 part numbers for Nytro ECMs.
2008-2010 use a 8GL-8591A-00-00
2011-2014 use a 8GL-8591A-10-00

The later models are about $50 cheaper. Any improvements or changes in the later models?
Will they work the same? What's the difference?

Not sure how to verify if the ECU is bad but I would try and get one from a salvage yard and save some cash.

I would verify that the fuel pump is still good and getting power first. Before going down the ecm path.

The only thing I know of is in 2013 the ECU was reprogrammed to have better heated grip output. The ER-1 error has nothing to do with the relays or fuel pump. I believe it's a communication error between the ECU and display unit. So either a bad ECU or Display unit or there is a wire issue between the two. If you could find someone locally that's willing to check your ECU in their Nytro that might save you some money on just swapping parts. If you want to send it to me I'll check it for you.

Not sure how to verify if the ECU is bad but I would try and get one from a salvage yard and save some cash.

X2 no reason to buy new. Check eBay also.

Double check for common rubbed wire areas by steering head and clutch. You can pull the ECU connector on back of gauge display and check and clean pins with alcohol(carefully) plug back on and off several times (sometimes this will clear corrosion and make a better connection)** corrosion can be just a film on connectors and really not visable to you**

Pete
ER1 Fault.PNG

The only thing I know of is in 2013 the ECU was reprogrammed to have better heated grip output. The ER-1 error has nothing to do with the relays or fuel pump. I believe it's a communication error between the ECU and display unit. So either a bad ECU or Display unit or there is a wire issue between the two. If you could find someone locally that's willing to check your ECU in their Nytro that might save you some money on just swapping parts. If you want to send it to me I'll check it for you.

So Grizz this is interesting. How much better is the heated grip output? Is it worth swapping an 09 ecu for a 13?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't really comment on how much better the grips are with the newer ECU because I haven't had any experience with it. Evolution Powersports will flash the ECU to increase grip output for $100 so to me that would be the better way to go.

I can't really comment on how much better the grips are with the newer ECU because I haven't had any experience with it. Evolution Powersports will flash the ECU to increase grip output for $100 so to me that would be the better way to go.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Wonder if anybody has compared a 13 ECU to reflash and if there is more output/better heat with it vs. the 13 ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 13 nytro and the hand warmers are hotter on the 13-14 compared to previous years but still not hot enough, I ended up getting yamaheaters and couldn’t be happier..

Thanks guys. I ended up finding a used ECU on Ebay and installed it. Problem fixed. At least it seems to be. Yes, ER-1 is a lack of communication from the ECU.

I also have the yamaheaters. They actually get too hot when set to high. Can't hold on to the grips with bare hands. Not that you're riding with bare hands, but point is they get hot.

Thanks for the input.

Did you buy the newer or older ecu? Just wonder if the older -08 nytro works with the later ecu.

I am pretty sure low oil pressure limp mode was added on the later year nytros. I'd think that would warrant an ECU change.

That would be a strange way to handle a drop in oil pressure and I haven't heard of this being added but there hasn't been a whole lot of info other than the increase in grip output. If low oil pressure is detected I wouldn't want it to go into a limp mode. It should shut down so no damage occurs.

I don't believe any of the components external to the ECU have changed over the years so there are no new inputs or outputs connected to the ECU. Any change to the ECU most likely is a firmware flash to update the way it processes the signals available. Evolution Powersports offers a flash that updates the grip warmer output so we know it's possible to alter the logic in the ECU with a simple flash. EVO may be the people to ask about any differences in these units.

Last edited:
I tipped an 11 apex one time when we started it back up it would idle and as soon as you gave it gas it would cut rpms. Couldn't even move the sled. had to start and stop sled a few times until it worked air out of system and built pressure again and allowed it to rev up.

Back