• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

disappointed with yamaha & warranty coverage (resolved)

I don't appreciate the foul inferred language. Be professional, please. No, I don't check those items on my car prior to every drive, nor does my owner's manual tell me to. The powersports one's do.

I hope you get it covered. But you should also understand that it's clearly defined that you may not.

Good luck.

I am pro manufacturer and put more accountability on consumers then lawyers to but this isnt a isolated incident and I dont know a single person in the snowmobiling world that has ever checked thier steering linkage and a arms before every ride.

My only beef is not that its 'improperly engineered' but the fact that he has a Y.E.S warranty on it and they still denied it! If it wont cover that what the heck does it cover????

ecopter said:
I don't appreciate the foul inferred language. Be professional, please. No, I don't check those items on my car prior to every drive, nor does my owner's manual tell me to. The powersports one's do.

I hope you get it covered. But you should also understand that it's clearly defined that you may not.

Good luck.
you end your post by taking a deliberate poke at me by saying sure hope u dont fly helicopters. Nowing full well u meant it as a jab at me. Then u tell me to be professional. Hello pot meet kettle.

berge75 said:
Rtx , Has the owner contacted customer service, at yamaha? Allot of times if you call they will work with you.
yes he has been in touch with customer service. Im in maine sledding right now and cant really get into it on my phone but im going to update the end result sunday when i get home

RTX said:
ecopter said:

Good luck.
you end your post by taking a deliberate poke at me by saying sure hope u dont fly helicopters. Nowing full well u meant it as a jab at me. Then u tell me to be professional. Hello pot meet kettle.

There's a reason the military let's enlisted men fly copters. :flag:

RTX said:
berge75 said:
Rtx , Has the owner contacted customer service, at yamaha? Allot of times if you call they will work with you.
yes he has been in touch with customer service. Im in maine sledding right now and cant really get into it on my phone but im going to update the end result sunday when i get home

Long story short....are they going to help him out

IAVECTORGT said:
RTX said:
Blu2U2 said:
Not sure if this is what happened or not but I started the following thread last year when I had some issues....

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... le&start=0

Blu2U2
yes this is the exact same problem as you had. infact after comming across your post i became so furious i decided to write this post.

to anyone that is confused on which bolt came loose. it is the allen head bolt that bolts through the top balljoint/swivel and attaches the top a-arm to the aluminum spindle. this IS NOT the safety recall thay yamaha issued

the dealer is woodys in topsham maine. normally i have found them to be a reputable bunch of guys but right now im a bit disgusted with them. They should have went to bat for my friend but they didn't and in my opinion i blame them just as much as i blame yamaha.
woodys told my friend that the hole was egged/ovaled and the bolt had to be loose for a long time and he should have noticed it and tightened the bolt. basically agreeing with yamaha decision.
The problem is that we lost the bolt 25 miles from home. in order to get the broken sled home we were forced to install an allen wrench through the balljoint and the spindle and clamp it with a pair of vise grips to keep it from falling off. we then called the dealer from the trail to arrange a drop off on a monday, while the dealer was closed. We left the sled infront of the dealership without speaking to anyone and with the allenwrench and visegrips still holding the spindle and a arm together so the dealer would actually see what we had to do to get it home. Driving the sled 25 miles with an allenwrench being used as a bolt is what ovaled/egged the hole so bad. unfortunately woodys and yamaha disagree.

I am going to do the same fix that boat.man did to his spindles for my buddy and i guarantee this issue will never happen again.

what really irks me is that this sled is in mint condition with low miles. it should be brutally obvious to any intelegent dealer this sled is not abused and is very well maintained. it should also be brutally obvious to any human being that deals with motorized vehicles that steering components should not come loose on thier own and if there is any god d4m chance of them ever ever ever comming loose they should have a retainer such as a cotter pin through them.
yamaha blew it big time on this and its only a matter of time before this design causes a crippling injury or a death
" They should have went to bat for my friend but they didn't and in my opinion i blame them just as much as i blame yamaha." I am going to chime in on this! First off, how can you blame the dealer????? Do they do the maintenance on the sled???? Does your buddy do the maintenance???? Why is this a yamaha issue???? Should've went to bat but didn't?????? How can you say they didn't go to bat for him if they said Yamaha isn't going to cover it!!!! That tells me someone had to make a call to Yamaha!!!! I work at a Yamaha dealership as a service manager and if something like this happens that causes consequential damage, a dealer needs prior approval for these damaging types of repair! Which means a phone call! If your buddy has the dealer do the maintenance, is it done by the maintenance schedule that yamaha publishes in your OWNERS MANUAL or is it just an oil change and doesn't want anything else done?? There is a HUGE difference here! His owners manual, should he have one, clearly states the following: Fittings and fasteners: make sure that ALL nuts, bolts, and screws are properly tightened. Tighten if necessary after the first month of use or 500 miles which ever occurs first. Than check them seasonally. You said you check them, with your eyes, fingers, or with actual tools? Do you know what the torque specs are?? If not, your dealer has all the information he needs to know if he performs his own maintenance. This clearly is not a Yamaha issue, just negligence on the owner's part if he does his own work on the sled! Or negligence on the dealer's part if your buddy has his maintenance done by the book at the dealer!

That is so much crap I ever heard of. I seen that on two different Doo dealers there one picks up and the other leave. The same on two different Yammie dealers. The Doo: Pumping in Diesel on an SDI and a fix, the me and my Doo buddy goes out for riding and his machine blows a piston and then the classic bearing problem in the crank. What happens, one dealer tells BRP about the Diesel and BRP backs off. The other dealer is smarter and have my buddy as a customer now. So even after the engine warrenty (2 months) BRP paid 80 percent of the parts. Both Cylinders, two pistons, yeah you get it. Expensive.

If Yamaha or for that mather any OEM are putting that responsibility on Me and my machine why dont they give me a complete service manual and real tools.

ecopter said:

Good luck.

The funniest about this is that you are not checking vitals on your car because of lack of instructions. Glad that you are not my helicopter driver. Bad things can happens to a car to... You know!

pwa said:
ecopter said:

Good luck.

The funniest about this is that you are not checking vitals on your car because of lack of instructions. Glad that you are not my helicopter driver. Bad things can happens to a car to... You know!

Are you really failing to see the intent here? Obviously. This is about warranty coverage with regards to the "small print" and how it relates to certain issues. If the owner's manual requires the owners to inspect things, thus possibly affecting whether or not something is covered, then the owner ought to be out there performing "said" maintenance. Yes, I would be inspecting certain car parts if the manufacturer felt it necessary to place such a clause in their consumer information.

And since it seems many of you involved in this post lack the comprehension required to understand some "between the lines" sarcasim, I'm going to refrain from any explantion. I'd be wasting my precious energy typing...

so we picked up the sled friday and the dealer was extremely polite and professional. They offered to give my friend 20% off on any parts he purchased. My friend declined and we just picked up the sled. there was no charge for anything. no diagnostic fee, nothing. my friend was very pleased with this but also was prepared to pay if there was a fee.
Upon leaving the dealer he reviewed his story with us.
He had spoke with the dealer on tuesday morning and said that when the bolt fell out of the balljoint the spindle smashed his shock breaking the adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock.
the dealer informed him that there is not knobs available. To fix it he would need to replace the entire shock and he should probably replace the balljoint at the same time. My friend said go ahead and submit the claim. trusting the dealers judgement. The dealer called yamaha then called my friend and said yamaha refused the claim. some calls went back and forth between my friend, the dealer , yamaha. Being that my friend was busy working he ended up getting frustrated with the yamaha reps answer of they dont cover loose bolts under warranty (even though a full contradiction of this is that they did a full blown recall for a loose bolt on the right upper a arm) and he gave up on yamaha.
He called the dealer back and found out that the dealer "accidentaly" submitted a claim for 2 front shocks a ball joint and a spindle. the total for parts and labor was $1300.00 if i remember correctly. Now to clarify this, the sled NEEDED 1 right side spindle only. The damaged shock was usable and the ball joint was also usable. In our opinion we think that it should have been presented to yamaha that there was a damaged knob on the shock and the shock could still be used without fear of it failing, but inorder to bring it to "like new" condition it would need to be replaced.
the ball joint was also not a necessity but the dealer felt it should be replaced. the dealer explained that he accidentally clicked on 2 shocks instead of 1. We feel that the dealer made the mistake of trying to claim 2 shocks and a ball joint that were not needed.
All my friend really wanted was a spindle.
we think that when yamaha heard all these parts and this price and looked at the parts being ordered they saw that things did not add up and refused the claim.
In my opinion the dealer should have recognised they made an error on the quantity of shocks and also that the 1 damaged shock was not a necessity. they should have stepped up to straighten out the claim and explain thier error to yamaha.
The dealer also made statements about him not buying the sled there and also about him not ever buying parts there because his name was not in the computer. This info was incorrect because he has been purchasing parts from them in the past he just always pays cash for them. I was there, i have witnessed it.
i feel like they viewed him as not a "regular" customer and because of that didnt help him out. oh well lesson learned. Ive seen this reaction before and im sure i will see it again.
i dont understand why dealerships see different customers as having different values but they do and i cant change that.
treat a guy right and you have him as a customer for life. treat him wrong and you will probably never see him again.

i had some of this information when i first posted, but i was not perfectly clear on it so i didnt want to post it. this is why i was making the statement that i hold the dealer just as responsible as i hold yamaha but i couldn't get into specifics untill i knew exactly what happened.

we installed a longer bolt through the ball joint and the spindle with some washers and used red loctite on the nut. 100 miles on it this weekend and it held up great. I will fix the spindle properly this summer

pwa said:
ecopter said:

Good luck.

pwa
please dont waste anymore time debating this with him.
he has his opinion which he is entitled to. the problem is that his demeaning undertones and negative comments at people that dont agree with him dont belong in this thread or on this stite.
Each time he posts there are inferred statements that people responding to this thread are dumb or he is smarter than them. just let him have his say. hopefully at some point a moderator will step in and get him out of here.

forgot to mention he also filed a claim with the cpsc. consumer products safety commission.
They will be investigating at some point and he will be providing them with the multiple pages of links on here stating over 30 people had the same issue. hopefully they can resolve this

you can just replace the knob on the shock if the dealer would look in the tech books he would see the part number for that good luck with the other problems but this should be covered under the warranty in my opinion.

ecopter said:
pwa said:
ecopter said:

Good luck.

Are you really failing to see the intent here? Obviously. This is about warranty coverage with regards to the "small print" and how it relates to certain issues. If the owner's manual requires the owners to inspect things, thus possibly affecting whether or not something is covered, then the owner ought to be out there performing "said" maintenance. Yes, I would be inspecting certain car parts if the manufacturer felt it necessary to place such a clause in their consumer information.

And since it seems many of you involved in this post lack the comprehension required to understand some "between the lines" sarcasim, I'm going to refrain from any explantion. I'd be wasting my precious energy typing...

Yes it was sarcasm from my side but I agree with you on what you are saying. Basic maintenance and look it over so everything seems to be in order and Yes read the manual from time to time.

But I think that OEM's should have visual seals on vital parts or pins trough the bolt because lots of ppl does not check their sled not even after a lighter three hit.

Back