• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DMC top gear wear (good things)

Huh, always hearing something new on this site, but the fact that a plastic type bushing, when compared to other materials, including metal, seems to work on some applications! Per say, primary clutch roller bushings! My stock roller bushings lasted 5500 miles, other material bushings tried are not doing so well! Maybe a new tight clutch had something to do with it, but Yamaha has been using those for many years, and this Sidewinder is the only Yamaha sled throughout the years, that is hard on them.

Ok, I'll ask.... Where can we buy these plastic bushings?

Some amazing plastics/composites these days compared to years ago. Is it possible that the chain case fluid sticks or stays on this plastic better then say a bushing material? Hell maybe it(plastic) even very slightly absorbs a small amount of fluid.

Some amazing plastics/composites these days compared to years ago. Is it possible that the chain case fluid sticks or stays on this plastic better then say a bushing material? Hell maybe it(plastic) even very slightly absorbs a small amount of fluid.

Interesting for sure. I looked at some plastic sleeve bearings of different materials and they are rated in a matrix of load/rpm/temperature and its typically pick two and the third is always a compromise (like cheaper/faster/better). Maybe a winder/cat owner somewhere works in an industry where they make specialized or works with specialized manufacturing of these bearings. But, I don't see the benefit really as there are lots of cheap sources of sleeve bearings/bushings out there and we know they work. Would be nice to know the source though as it is always good to have more choice.

These are made out of Nyloil

Description

Nyloil® is an oil-filled self-lubricating bearing grade material that offers many advantages over comparable materials. Nyloil® exhibits approximately 25% lower friction than other nylon grades and outperforms in corrosive environments where external lubrication is difficult or impossible.

Nyloil® operates quietly and with long part life in nearly any environment, even those that put the plastic in direct contact with abrasive sludge and slurry. Near zero water absorption (less than half versus unfilled nylon) gives way to a high dimensional stability and crystallinity, and Nyloil® machines as easily as brass metal. Nyloil®’s internal lubrication will not spin off at high speeds and won’t drain out in dry or hot conditions.

These are made out of Nyloil

Description

Nyloil® is an oil-filled self-lubricating bearing grade material that offers many advantages over comparable materials. Nyloil® exhibits approximately 25% lower friction than other nylon grades and outperforms in corrosive environments where external lubrication is difficult or impossible.

Nyloil® operates quietly and with long part life in nearly any environment, even those that put the plastic in direct contact with abrasive sludge and slurry. Near zero water absorption (less than half versus unfilled nylon) gives way to a high dimensional stability and crystallinity, and Nyloil® machines as easily as brass metal. Nyloil®’s internal lubrication will not spin off at high speeds and won’t drain out in dry or hot conditions.
Ok, Available where?

Ok, Available where?

Its available where bulk plastics are sold, . It machines easily or you can go to one of the many manufacturers and give them a ID/OD and length. It isn't very expensive but has little advantage over traditional bearing material in this application.

You could start by calling cast nylons who makes it.

or Boedeker

If I remember right, the one knock on nylons is that it is hygroscopic (it attracts and holds water). When it does so, it swells.

M.02c
The plastic bushing is interesting but for me I will stick with the top gear bushing solutions that, on this forum, we have all experience, researched, experimented, and determined to be viable...there are more then one.

Agreed, I was replacing with the bronze bushings till I clearance them a little tight and they would spin inside the gear. I then started using the Hurricane roller gears and never looked back.

We’ve been using a bushing since 2018 that we haven’t seen a failure yet, one guy has 30000 Kim’s on one and still no play in it.

No, I service a pile of sleds and never seen this plastic bushing

Its available where bulk plastics are sold, . It machines easily or you can go to one of the many manufacturers and give them a ID/OD and length. It isn't very expensive but has little advantage over traditional bearing material in this application.

You could start by calling cast nylons who makes it.

or Boedeker

If I remember right, the one knock on nylons is that it is hygroscopic (it attracts and holds water). When it does so, it swells.
It has my curiosity more than anything.
There are many amazing types of plastics these days.
Again, however, I don't know the miles on it or how long they will last.
Since it was tight I left it in this particular machine.

Back