• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drilling an easy out

Dodge Ram

Expert
Just need some help. Anybody have a easy way to drill an easyout. Broke an exhaust bolt off in the head. Not much room in there to get a regular drill bit. Was thinking of pulling the head off or pulling the engine next.

Any help would be great.

Easy outs are a joke. I usually weld a nut to broken studs. stuff a damp rag in the ports when you are welding to keep slag out. I just did a head gasket in my nytro. It took me 5hrs to pull the engine and get the head off and another 10hrs to put it all back togeather. You have to pull the engine to take off the head.

Did the bolt snap at or near the surface of the head? Is there anything left that you clamp a vise-grip on and apply some heat?

Those are not large bolts - 8mm - the easyout route is going to be tough to do without securing the head and drilling precisely.

Note for next time - use hi-temp antiseize compound when you reinstall.

Depending on the brand sometimes you can melt them out with a torch

Not enough metal for a vise grip. Broke off flush with head. Both bolt and easy out are in there. Going to try and use my buddy's Mig to weld a bolt on there. And use more heat. Ya never seize would have been nice if the factory put it on the bolts. Currently making a new plug for my generator to plug into his welder. 4 plug into 3 plug. I use to wled for a living years ago so we sholud be able to get this down. The easy out was from O riley's. Can't remember company name. But I was sure pissed off when it snapped off. Gonna remove other heat shield (lower one) so I can get an andled drill in there. Not much room for drill and bit.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will let every one know if I get it out incase somebody else has a broken flex pipe and ends up in my situation.

Get yourself a good sharp pointed carbide burr and grind it out with that. One of the few things that will cut a easy out. Be prepard to spend a few bucks on it though.. Once you start to grind it out you can usually get in and chip away at the surrounding area and break out some peices as you go..

For easy out(or extractors) we bought a set from Mac tools that works pretty good. You have to use moderation with them too but they do work pretty good. There's a set it almost every mechanics tool box around here.. reasonlably priced too. 110 dollars for a set that gose from 1/8" to 7/8" if I remember correctly. Been a bit since I looked at it so can't say for sure..

I don't konw how much room you have or what all is surounding it but heat is definatley your friend if you can safely do it without heating anything else up to hot..

Good luck. It's a frustrating job to say the least..

Ryan

Weld a nut on. Find on the same size as what your trying to remove and weld up the middle. The heat will break it loose. Wait for it to cool and turn it out. Have done lots this way. If you don't let it cool enough you will have to weld a new nut on and try again

Easy outs do work on some things rather well, not the tapered rectangled ones with the sharp edge but the cone shape ones with the spiral twist.....they work so much better.

Forget about drilling those things out if you break one :o|

Your right welding a nut over it most often works the best
:sled1:

Proper Screw Extractor, Cle-Line are made in the USA

Attachments

• screw_extractor.jpg
    screw_extractor.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 49
Weld a nut to it we have run into it more than once at my shop with harleys and numerous different cars. Use an impact when trying to remove as the heat from the weld and the vibration from the impact work very well together. It may take a few tries but it does work have done it many many times

All Great Ideas :Rockon: and I am going to get my buddies mig this am. Then to Home DP to get a grade 8 bolt to weld onto the broken one. I will try everthing before I pull the head. Just won't be going sledding till I get this thing done. Hindle should be here today and skid plate.

Back