• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

end of dual underseat rear exiting exhaust

It's just the apex that has a drone. I think its more prevalent when riding tighter trail systems that are not as fast. Clutches can't quite shift out and the motor tachs a little higher. My father runs the apex and if we switch sleds I notice it every time!

What drone? Now my old Pantera had a drone. Side exhaust, triple pipes and the idler wheels started a harmony at 20mp that got into your skull. Hmmm side exhaust and a drone. I've never heard the drone on my Apex or my RX but changing to a side exhaust does not change the harmonics of a four cylinder so the drone may still be there and all you got was a crappy restrictive exhaust system and a more crowded engine bay with more heat trapped in it.

sasquatch, try riding your apex or the rxwar at 50kph. trust me the drone is there. part of why i cruise faster than that.

sasquatch, try riding your apex or the rxwar at 50kph. trust me the drone is there. part of why i cruise faster than that.

Well with 18,000 miles on the RX and 7,000 on the Apex trust me I have spent time at every speed. No drone, remember speed limit in Ontario is 50k or 30mph.

i know lol. i live here. brother bought my 05 rx and he started complaining about the drone and basically told me that he knew why i never drove at 50kph anymore.

Seriously I think the drone is caused by engine harmonics and track harmonics getting in tune with each other. My old Cat would drive you crazy at 20mph. Put new sliders on it and it got quieter till the sliders wore down. One of the reasons Cat went to the quiet track was to stop the drone.

My RX was so quiet that I could hear my track coupler clack going over bumps in the trail and my jacket zipper ticking on the metal tab as it bounced. No drone I remember on that sled and once I installed the Exell that is all I hear till the wind takes over. My Apex all I can hear is the exhaust purring behind me till the wind overpowers. I never put the larger wheels on the skid and run duponts instead so the wheels don't make a lot of noise going over the lugs of the track. Heck the hardly even touch the track.

I sometimes wonder if those who have the drone the worst have the low snow wheels in the bend, purring away as the track lugs go by. Don't know why some complain and other say what drone? As you say go faster or slower used to work for me in the Cat days!

Last year I listened for it because of people telling me the Apex has a drone, I'll do the same this year but I don't think it will change with the Star kit!

I think with my Warrior the track noise is louder than the engine. That might be what people are hearing more that anything.

I can hear the drone or I should say feel it. It's at a certain rpm and or speed combined. Helmet styles or make might play into it allowing it to penetrate more then others. Not sure. Just the nature of the beast. I learned to live with it and or got numb to it long ago. I'm old school were my cars or trucks were very loud at times between mufflers,headers and or just rotted away. That stuff wouldn't pass inspection now. Not to mention the howling from over size aggressive tires on the Interstate on trucks with not much insulation like they have now. Windows open as no A/C and window cranks and or the whistling of the vent windows open.

I can hear the drone or I should say feel it. It's at a certain rpm and or speed combined. Helmet styles or make might play into it allowing it to penetrate more then others. Not sure. Just the nature of the beast. I learned to live with it and or got numb to it long ago. I'm old school were my cars or trucks were very loud at times between mufflers,headers and or just rotted away. That stuff wouldn't pass inspection now. Not to mention the howling from over size aggressive tires on the Interstate on trucks with not much insulation like they have now. Windows open as no A/C and window cranks and or the whistling of the vent windows open.

lol i still have to run with the windows open on the truck. being allergic to ac sucks.

Is it maybe worse with studs? I notice you dont list studs sasquatch and capt caper has them I dont run studs either and I have never heard this droan either. I have started the day with a headach and had it seem to intensify while riding thou.

Warrior is studded and no drone. XTX idlers don't even touch the ground, I can spin them with the sled sitting on the concrete floor. No weight on them.

The drone is from the exhaust resonating in full face helmets. If you mostly lead don't ride in groups in the middle or rarely get stuck behind slower sleds on crowded trails you may never notice it. Also not sure if EXUP helps mitigate it.

You may be right but Cat put out the quiet track to stop the drone. I was always under the impression that the engine and the track together cause it. Cat never had a quiet sled then so the track was in the background but combined with the motor at certain rpms it was mind numbing. I think it takes two sounds to make a harmonic sound as in the drone. When two sounds hit certain frequency they create a harmony where you no longer hear the two sounds separate they become one sound.

Anyway I could be wrong but as per Cats back in the 2000's that was said to be the cause. If there is fresh powder does the noise lessen? Did with my cat. If I had the drone i would remove my idlers and go for a ride to see if it made a difference. I do know that with my Cat as the slides wore down the noise got worse. New slides almost eliminated it.

If no idlers made it go away or lessen significantly I would put on smaller idlers and duponts! If it stays the same then I'm wrong and Apologize for the work of removing and replacing idlers.

Love the rear exhaust and what drone? I keep hearing about a drone but I don't hear one on my sled. I also don't want to be like the rest for the sake of being like the rest. I don't miss underhood pipes and muffler one bit. I always thought the rear exhaust balanced the sled weight better.
I just bought the 2015 apex xtx how many bars or windows are there on the 144 track,sense in a few weeks I may throw a hand full of studs down the middle just for those slippery corners,i heard bare min 107 so does that mean 54 bars. thanks pete

I just bought the 2015 apex xtx how many bars or windows are there on the 144 track,sense in a few weeks I may throw a hand full of studs down the middle just for those slippery corners,i heard bare min 107 so does that mean 54 bars. thanks pete

57 "bars". 144/ 2.52(pitch)=57.14=57

No, 136 has 54, 144 has 57. I'd go with a 4-2 pattern up the middle with the odd lug having 3 studs for a total of 171 or 3per row for a total of 171. I ran 162 on my 136 up the middle and it was a nice grip with no real under steer or over steer with 6 inch carbides.

Back