• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Misfire - UPDATE - Over Rev

Well. I got the sled back from the dealer and they were not able to fix the problem. They are not sure why. They replaced the pickup on the chain case and it still does the hick up when you get on it.

It is really noticeable when you hit a drift and nail the throttle. It cuts out twice in a row.

The dealer had a long talk with both yamaha and cat and neither had an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Mine does the same. Im thinking it ether over revs, or could be the way the ecu is tuned? We definitely need a some sort of a reflash from yamaha, and if it's the clutch they also need to fix that. That being said im not taking my sled to the dealer, that will be unnecessary down time for me. Our season here isn't that long so im going to ride as much as possible!

That is good to know. I thought about over rev being the problem too. I'm glad others are experiencing the same and I'm not losing my mind.

I can say that I love the sled and the way it pulls. It is fast and super responsive when one is already cruising along. It does not hiccup at all if you are cruising and nail it. It is only when the sled takes flight and there is no resistance on the track. It does is on the jack stand as well.

Our trails took a beating in the last warm up we had so riding is not marginal at best. If I was getting the snow you guys have I would be riding too.

I will let the dealer use my sled to figure out the issue since it is just sitting in the garage. I rode it home from the dealer tonight and the trails were frozen dirt and the lake was full of slush tracks that were frozen solid and rough as he11.

I have noticed on a 7000 that right around clutch engagement it sounds like it misses a bit. It's only at this point. I can make it do this by slowly getting into the throttle in this spot when it's about ready to grip the belt. Normal or abrupt throttle and it's not noticed. Different clutches than your Viper so I don't know if that's long the same lines as to what your are experiencing or not.

Watch the tach and see if its near the limiter when you get on it. I had ours do it one time and it was hitting the limiter when screwing with clutching. My guess is your hitting the limiter. Also the gauge lags, the motor will hit the limiter before the gauge catches up to display it.

TurboJamie,

Yes, the gage lags and takes a second to catch up and that is when the sled hiccups. What is up with that?

What is the limit at?

I think it's between 9200-9300 but I'm not positive. Sounds like you are hitting the limiter. Is your sled stock?

Complete stock. Any ideas you can share? Would love to smooth out the hiccup.

Im going to try 14.5 rollers and a s-w-s primary spring from my nytro and see how that works out. Just not sure yet when.

MNUser said:
Complete stock. Any ideas you can share? Would love to smooth out the hiccup.

Well lets run a scenerio, maybe you have a strong one, or perhapse a glazed belt, or sticky clutch bushings, you see it could be many things or 1 simple thing. I would start by changing the belt, if you have a spare run it. Maybe you got a goofy belt on my 1200 turbo doo one belt is on the limiter another is not its worth a try.

Say you watch the tach and you think its the limiter a softer finish rate primary spring could fix it or extra weight in your clutch arms.

What you need to do is confirm the rpm, then proceed from there, we never ran our ltx stock, however when hitting the limiter during testing its quite obvious.

TurboJamie,

Not sure how I can thank you but I think you may have fixed it for me via the internet.

I went out and replaced the belt with one I bought last week and put the sled on the jack stand. No hiccup. I will know once I get it out on the lake and have a chance to really put it to the test.

Explain to me how that simple change can fix that? The speed does take a second to catch up. There is a delay. Are you seeing that too? I think it was an over rev issue but how does the belt play into that?

Belt size changes the ratios as it shifts you were definitly over reving. Nice call Turbo! Hope you are well under 9000rpm on the snow. 8900 or even less stock. Let the motor use its torque.

cannondale27 said:
Belt size changes the ratios as it shifts you were definitly over reving. Nice call Turbo! Hope you are well under 9000rpm on the snow. 8900 or even less stock. Let the motor use its torque.

Correct! I have had belts do goofy things brand new. Sometimes its a who knows why deal. So keep an eye on the belt now. Have a good look at your used one under the light twist and tilt it. Does it look shiney? If so take a scotchbrite pad (green one) and svuff the sides up to remove the glaze. Wash it with simple green and let it dry a few days.

I believe if it does it now, i would guess you have an overly powerful engine, or sticky clutches making the rpm spike, its the rev limiter by the sounds of it.

Keep us posted, happy to help.

Here is the morning update:

I took it out on the lake and it still does it with the new belt on. I can see on the tach that when in soft snow and the track has little to no resistance it hits 9100 on the tach and that is only after the tach catches up because remember there is that delay on the tach and speedo. My guess it is actually higher so that is causes it to over rev and that is the two hiccups you feel when you nail it.

So, when you are flat out cruising around 40 or so and you nail it the track can't free spin like before and the highest I saw the speedo read was 85ish and there is zero hiccup. The tach was at about 8400 then.

Now, I'm guessing the clutching is the problem and it is causing it to over rev. So, to really address it a person might need to change out the weights or the primary spring. I wonder if Ulmer Racing has been seeing this and messing around with it?

Any suggestions now?

Back