• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EPS Conversion?

Anyone with a Sidewinder and a Viper can tell me if the Viper air box is going to be a problem either for the steering unit or the upper steering shaft ? Seriously thinking of putting this on my 7000.

The "how to" is very involved. If I do another conversion, I'll take some pics and measurements to post. Sorry guys...

eachQtyextended
1705-667EPS
1235.16​
1​
1235.16​
1605-211plate
15.82​
1​
15.82​
1705-616coupling
102.81​
1​
102.81​
1705-614post
88.16​
1​
88.16​
1605-226stop, post
9.87​
2​
19.74​
1605-154block, mounting
4.35​
1​
4.35​
1605-212bracket
16.80​
1​
16.80​
1686-927harness
567.67​
1​
567.67​
0423-577u-nut
0.55​
4​
2.20​
2623-063screw
2.07​
4​
8.28​
8409-026screw
1.96​
4​
7.84​
8020-045screw
1.23​
2​
2.46​
8047-366nut
0.55​
2​
1.10​
2623-202nut
1.52​
1​
1.52​
2073.91​
Folks there is one more part that is important. It stops the steering post from over turning (and straining the EPS). It goes under the 1605-154 new shorter block and the steering post bottoms out on it.

Folks there is one more part that is important. It stops the steering post from over turning (and straining the EPS). It goes under the 1605-154 new shorter block and the steering post bottoms out on it.
Tcat i just looked up that part and it shows that only one is needed but your parts list shows qty of 2 ?

Anyone with a Sidewinder and a Viper can tell me if the Viper air box is going to be a problem either for the steering unit or the upper steering shaft ? Seriously thinking of putting this on my 7000.
I will be installing factory SW eps on my Viper, so I've studied both sleds very closely, and it looks to me like everything should just clear the airbox. I believe that, at the very most, the front RH corner of the airbox edge may need to be trimmed slightly to clear the eps motor, but I don't think so.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I will be installing factory SW eps on my Viper, so I've studied both sleds very closely, and it looks to me like everything should just clear the airbox. I believe that, at the very most, the front RH corner of the airbox edge may need to be trimmed slightly to clear the eps motor, but I don't think so.
Fingers crossed!
Please take some pictures of the brackets in the chassis without the steering booster and also get good hole drilling measurements and/or a drill template. I will have the sled apart this summer to have the driveshaft spray welded for a bearing press fit. Going to make installation puller to get it together

Started the EPS install on my 18 Sidewinder. I'm about 8 hours in and have the EPS unit, steering coupling, drag link, steering post, steering stop and joint/handlebars installed/back together. I've taken my time on this part of the install and glad I did. Read Tcats tips on what needs to be removed to make room in the tub for this install...it is tight. Next mark location for the 3 holes that need to be drilled using Tcats template. Nope not gonna work, after double checking measurements are correct, I had 5 13/16" heavy center to center for the mounting plate and center to center on the mounting plate is 5 3/8". What I figured out is the 18 lower panel is slightly different causing issues using Tcats measurements. So, I got some nuts and bolts (tight fitting) and assembled the plate and bracket, put the spring nut on the bracket for left side mount. Put the assembly in the tub and installed left side bolt. Its tight but using a punch I was able to mark each location one at a time. To make sure I had the correct location I drilled a 1/16" pilot hole from inside the tub, put the spring nut on, put the plate and bracket back in, installed the left side bolt, pulled the assembly tight to the tub and from the outside of the tub sent the drill bit back through to verify it came up through the spring nut. Took a little more time but it was worth the effort getting those holes drilled correctly. I will take some measurements when I have a minute to share. Next is the wiring, I have all the connectors just waiting on the twisted wire that I just ordered from McMaster Carr to make the jumper harness. I think Richard rated this a 9/10 on the difficulty scale, I'm going to put it at a 6/10. If you have ever replaced a front heat exchanger you know what a 9/10 on the difficulty scale is. Overall, it's not hard just tight working quarters.

Back