• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EPS retrofit

Yeah I agree everyone that doesn't have it says they dont need it, everyone that does have it cant live without LOL!

From purely a engineering perspective I love the idea of running big carbides, lots of ski pressure and not having to factor in hard steering into your calculations or balancing act.

In the spring or when the show is wet...the difference is HUGE... until you ride one for more than just a spin you don't know what you are missing.

VectorLTX2012 said:
Super Sled said:
I'd be nice if they could but I don't see how they would. That EPS sytme is huge, weighs like 27 pounds, and would take up a lot of space. Just don't see how any company would make one fit. And Yamaha has a great reason to not want a retro kit ever built -- they want you to buy a new Apex.

Or they want you to buy a new Vector.

Chester

:jump:

you get any miles on that yet Chester?

Wer'e getting snow now so I may run mine down the road tomorrow

I used to think PS in an atv was over board as well. But a couple of months ago, at low speed my wheel hit a root and the feedback thru the bars broke my left hand. A fluke accident, but it likely wouldnt have happened if I rode a machine with PS..

Now I know a snowmobile doesn't take the jarring an atv does over rocks and ruts.. But it likely has a place in the market all the same.

kinger said:
Yeah I agree everyone that doesn't have it says they dont need it, everyone that does have it cant live without LOL!

From purely a engineering perspective I love the idea of running big carbides, lots of ski pressure and not having to factor in hard steering into your calculations or balancing act.

Kinger hit it on the nose. This opens up a whole new game for future sleds.

Exactly, I'd love to have the power steering so I could put my C&A's with big carbides back on. They're sitting in the box, switched to Slydogs because they steer easier.

I had a 700 Grizzly without PS and forget turning that thing on a solid surface with it in 4x4. My new outlander has it and wow, no effort at all. I would love to try it on a sled.

Ill tell you, I had my first ride on a nytro xtx last weekend. It was fun as hell, felt alot lighter than my '11apex xtx and with it having a 1.75" backcountry it hooked up like a beast. The only thing I didnt like about the nytro was NO POWERSTEERING. This confirms I will never ever buy a yamaha without powersteering. Its great on my grizzly and even better on the sled. You hardly get any negative response from the bars and that is worth every penny. Barely any weight added maybe 3 lbs so dont be surprised if you see this on all Yamahas in the future. Laugh at the bandaid but it sure beats fighting the machine to make a slow u turn

Re: power steering

srx900 said:
Just put ski doo pilot skis on and you wont need power steering.

X2 on the Pilot skis.

Even if you added PS to your sled, it is not going to steer like a new one. I am pretty sure Yamaha changed the front end geometry when they added the PS. They did not just throw PS on a current or carryover sled and call it good. G.B.

I don't know where everyone is coming up with the weight of the power steering unit, but I did find this.
Spring 2010 Issue of American Snowmobiler, has this in their write up of the new 2011 Apex. " There are also new steering components to compliment the EPS and the Total System weighs about 18 lbs."

Back