• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts & Y Pipes....Step by step

I'm going to venture a guess and say you probably got wd-40 or similar on the pipes/sled when you took clamps off and thats whats really doing that??

Now that you mention it I used a fair amount of Sea Foam Deep Creep on all of the bolts holding the exhaust on. When I was looking under the tunnel I did see it pooled up a bit on the Y Pipes. That must be what it is.

Thanks.

POST EDITED BY MODERATOR

ROCKERDAN - I've made your post a sticky, great info for those maintaining their exhaust system, thanks for contributing :)

This post has been modified to reduce redundancy, unneeded posts and off topic posts to keep the thread as clean as possible without loosing the good info the thread holds.

rxrider
TY Management

I was wondering i just did this on my apex and when i put the collors back on the y-pipes to flex pipes i put the allan screws so that they where at the inside so that 2 where rite next to each other is this bad or is it ok.

Did they touch each other? If not - no problems :)

Flange repair plan

I have had issues of the flange on the y-pipe cracking as well.
Issue of having to completely tear down the back half of the sled and removing the complete exhaust system. This process has lead to issues of weld cracks on the main pipe of the exhaust system.
I had a machine shop lathe a replacement flange out of stainless steel and friction fit it on the existing y-pipe (old flange cut off). This way if they continue to crack I only need to remove the flange piece without having to remove all y-pipes.
I figure this will reduce the repair time by half.
I have included pictures.

Attachments

• SAM_0146.pdf
    493.9 KB · Views: 284
  • SAM_0147.pdf
    522.3 KB · Views: 280
I need a little help...

I have the seat and tank off and am trying to take the bolts out of the exhaust under the rubber grommets, I got one of the bolts out, snapped the head off the other and both the allen bolts are so rusted that the second I touched them the head was stripped. If I try to drill the allens out is there anything under them I should worry about or are they in a spot that wont hurt anything. Also since I have one of the bolts out and the head gone on the other shouldn't I be able to pull the rear section of the exhaust out?

Thanks a lot,
pure

Worked perfect

I just used this sticky and it's very easy to follow and best of all it works perfect. I am not a wrench meaniac by any stretch of anyone's imagination. So I can do it anyone can.
Thanks to Rock

The Yamaha scheduled rate plan is ment for a top notch mechanic on Yamaha vehicles, many vell trained mechanics still can't do work in the amount of time on the schedule, it's pretty tight.

I know this cause my friends at the local Yamaha dealership have told me they usually loose money on warranty work because they can't keep the Yamaha schedule, just my 2 cents :-9

Back