• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Found a new snowmobile patent from yamaha?

The linkage on pg. 12 , 13 looks like a nice spot for EPS. A carbon fiber, eps, turbo would cost more then a pickup but if its 50th anniversary I'll have one!

how much weight could be saved using this carbon fiber plastic in the whole sled vs. current materials? does anyone have a current weight of a procross chassis without the motor? this has the potential to end the 2 stroke vs, 4 stroke weight bashing if its light enough. and if its patented than the other players cant use it. it could mean yamaha 4 strokes will be the same weight as others 2 strokes, and cats 2 strokes will be the lightest sleds made. that would be a game changer. the others could use carbon fiber, but the price would be out of reach for most people.

The linkage on pg. 12 , 13 looks like a nice spot for EPS. A carbon fiber, eps, turbo would cost more then a pickup but if its 50th anniversary I'll have one!

If this is true mine might have to be use or held over at that price... but at least I'll have one !!!

how much weight could be saved using this carbon fiber plastic in the whole sled vs. current materials? does anyone have a current weight of a procross chassis without the motor? this has the potential to end the 2 stroke vs, 4 stroke weight bashing if its light enough. and if its patented than the other players cant use it. it could mean yamaha 4 strokes will be the same weight as others 2 strokes, and cats 2 strokes will be the lightest sleds made. that would be a game changer. the others could use carbon fiber, but the price would be out of reach for most people.

What would AC have to provide for the use of the patent because it won't be cheap!!! Minimal production costs to manufacture Yamaha sleds (like substantially less then the Viper agreement)... I will say the new sidewinder looks like a Yamaha engineered sled... I wonder what the cost to Yamaha to for AC to produce the SW... I'm thinking less then the Viper because it seems the only thing AC provided on the SW is the chassis geometry and production capibality... Yamaha has been way more involved with this build then the Vipers

Most of us think Yamaha is leaving the game... but maybe it's AC circling the drain and Yamaha saving them :O

Last edited:
Cat needs Yamaha and Yamaha needs Cat if the 2 ever want to take down BRP or Polaris and lead the industry again. The Viper/7000 was the crawl stage, The Sidewinder/9000 walk stage... but I want to see the run stage because it could be pretty exciting.

The biggest issue is Cats shaky financial footing right now. The Sidewinder/9000 would have never happened without Yamaha, but by sharing engineering costs they were able to pull off this technological marvel.

The snowmobile industry is getting too small to make money if you have to go alone. What I'd like to see is the next Cat/Yamaha project to be a true cooperative project. At some point Yamaha Motor Corp might need too evaluate if a purchase of Arctic Cat makes sense to build their North American manufacturing base while acquiring a brand name with a lot of loyalty. I don't believe AC can survive as an independent for much longer.

Back