• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro overheating

steveg

I was wondering if anyone has run into a problem with their Nytro overheating when not riding in powder snow. I recently drove on packed snow and every few miles my snowmobile would over heat. Did not know if anyone else ran into this problem or if it was just mine.

My son and I had the same problem in Montana 2 weeks ago. His is an 08 RTX and mine 09 XTX. This was in powder, they both over heated, and no ice build up by exchanger. If you stood up and rode the coolant light went out.

I had this problem last weekend. The temps were a bit warmer, but I didn't think that the light should have been coming on. So we bought a coolant tester and it showed that I hadn't diluted the mixture enough. We took almost all of the coolant out of the radiator and replaced it with water and it seemed to do the trick.

I would remove the coolant a little at a time.

I removed about a liter and then put the hose back on. I added one litre of deionized water, ran the sled and then checked the coolant again with the guage. After removing one liter, the coolant was still good to - 58 Celcius so I removed another liter and replaced it with another liter of deionized water. After testing again it was only good to -40 celcius which I thought was adequate based on where I live.

In regards to the water wetter I used only a couple of ounces. I followed the recommendations on the bottle.

I'm running a 50/50 coolant mixture and water wetter. If the temperature is above freezing and I'm running a bit slower due to tight trail in the hills the temp light still comes on. I've also had it come on while climbing steep hard pack trails in 15 F weather. Unfortunately the trails in this area are in the hills and it’s hard to find powder or a field to cool the engine. If you go off the trail you’re taking a chance on hitting something. I've already bent one subframe. I'm planning on installing the tunnel heat exchanger before next season. $300+, hope it helps.

My 08 Nytro overheated a lot. I installed 1/2 bottle of redline water wetter in my 09 xtx. I have ridden in way worse conditions & have had no overheating at all!!!

Turk, did you run water wetter in your 08? if so why no problem with the 09 xtx. Is the cooling system the same (tunnel heat exchanger added, bigger rad, dual cooling fans)? What is the coolant capacity on the xtx? I'm wondering if it holds more than an 08 rtx.

I never tried ww in the 08 & had the light come on a lot plus the sled actually shut down a few times.
The 09 is just a so much better sled.I can run it to the pin on marginal snow & overheat light never ever comes on

This is a problem i have had from day 1 whenever riding on hardpack and trust me i am going fast enough :Rockon: I even open up the cooling vents behind the headlight. The next step is to try running a differant coolant

Are there any changes that you can see between the 08 09 cooling wise?

I assume you have an XTX. Does it have the extra cooler like the MTX?

I have an 08. It didn't overheat once last year in all kinds of conditions over 2600 km.

This year, after thinning my coolant, I had nothing but problems. I attribute some of that to a bigger track I added and I have since removed tunnel protectors which helped it. It still runs hot. The only other difference from last year is the TrailTank I added.

Back