• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro overheating

Daranello said:
How and where does that MTX cooler mount???

It mounts up in the right upper corner of the tunnel. They call it a rear cooler, but its actually towards the front of the tunnel.

My XTX does overheat at times. Usually at slower speeds, slow tight boondocking in temps above freezing, or on hard pack, (even with the ice scratchers down). Draw back with this sled is, if there is no loose snow to ride through its not as easy to cool her down. Can't just pile snow on the running boards like I could on the old trailing arm chasis sleds. Which is why I'm adding the MTX cooler for additional cooling. ;)!

Daranello said:
Maybe this will help? http://www.brtechracing.com/DetailsList ... RO-SCREENS

I'm also wondering if the trailtanks are restricting airflow thru the rad??

Bingo. I've been saying this all winter. In marginal snow or snow that blocks up the tunnel, the lack of air flow due to the increased capacity TrailTank has been causing me heating.

Winter is over for me locally but in the off season, I'll be fully venting my machine to get the hot air out from behind the radiator.

Have you ever open a door front door in your house on a windy day...feel nothing then walk to the back of the house and open the back door??? Once both door are open its like a huricain in your house!!!! It like the trail tank is closing the back door....I wonder if we can add vents up around the gauge pod?

bagadonitz said:
Daranello said:
Maybe this will help? http://www.brtechracing.com/DetailsList ... RO-SCREENS

I'm also wondering if the trailtanks are restricting airflow thru the rad??

Bingo. I've been saying this all winter. In marginal snow or snow that blocks up the tunnel, the lack of air flow due to the increased capacity TrailTank has been causing me heating.

Winter is over for me locally but in the off season, I'll be fully venting my machine to get the hot air out from behind the radiator.

Around the gauge pod is what I was thinking too. The only thing I'm weary of in doing it is giving a path for cool air to get out other than through the radiator giving the opposite outcome of what I want, if you know what I mean. In your analogy, put a flag by the back door, open it and then put a door sized hole in your ceiling. Instead of drafting through and out the back door causing the flag to flap, everything comes in the front door and out the roof with the flag hanging limp by the open back door.

I'm going to install the tunnel heat exchanger first and cut second (if need be). The problem is at slower speed when there is a lack of flow. Heat rises so it makes sense to cut openings high to let heat escape. To get the optimal flow, much testing would need to be done. You'd think Yamaha would have done this. Do you think they were more concerned with looks.

Yamaha made this mistake several years ago with the 660 Grizzly. They enclosed the engine to the point were it built enough heat to boil the gas in the tank. When mine did this the engine would spit and sputter. Because it was a safety issue they corrected the problem with louvered side panels. Anyone think their gas is getting hot or noticed a sputter while running hot.

What if you put a ruber flap from the rad to the pod screen, this way it could only suck its air from the rad?

bagadonitz said:
Around the gauge pod is what I was thinking too. The only thing I'm weary of in doing it is giving a path for cool air to get out other than through the radiator giving the opposite outcome of what I want, if you know what I mean. In your analogy, put a flag by the back door, open it and then put a door sized hole in your ceiling. Instead of drafting through and out the back door causing the flag to flap, everything comes in the front door and out the roof with the flag hanging limp by the open back door.

Can I jump in here and ask a noob question. We were in marginal snow conditions this weekend, 40* and hard packed frozen snow with zero powder. Sled overheated twice when I got into some serious woops that I didnt want to throttle through. Here is my question can someone explain to me the fundamentals behind a snowmobile cooling system and a bike system or a car? Not complaining just trying to learn, why is it that a bike or a car 4 stroke can operate in summer and not a sled? The only thing I can think of is the fan on the rad? Just curious also why my buddies 2 stroke can go farther then I can as well?

I am assuming that the vents help a lot to get that air flow going but if you are riding slow for some reason do they help a lot? Also what is the negative part to the vents?

why can a street bike like the r1 have cooling in the hot summer?and a nytro not in the cold winter?
thanks

Are you guys using bottom protection plastic? I had heat problem with my XTX last week in powder snow. I was able to drove only 5 km when heat light comes on. It happens couple of times and thought that something have to be wrong. Then I just turn sled to the left side and take a closer look to the heat exhanger. My plastic bottom protector was too long and it makes like a visor under the heat exghanger. So wet snow was not able to drop down so this makes like a air pocket between track and heat exchanger. I just take 10 mm away from plastic and it was really solution for that problem in powder snow. I don't have any heat problems on hard or packed trail.

I know that you gus know this issue but I was so surprised how easy fix can be. My local dealer didn't know this issue;) Now they know...

I guess I didn't dilute my coolant enough or add enough water wetter. I saw my light for about 15 seconds the other day when crossing an icy section. She'll be getting a little more water wetter before next trip.

I’ve done the obvious thing (antifreeze ratio, water wetter, purge the system) but none of them have cured the problem. This is what I think:

These engines produce a lot of heat compared to other 4 strokes. If you ran your car at the rpm’s theses things turn it would also overheat. Most cars run in the low 2000 rpm’s down the highway. So the problem with the Nytro is it can’t dissipate the heat being produced. I think there are two reasons:
1) The engine compartment is too confined. Heat can’t escape and air flow trough the compartment is restricted. Most liquid cooled engines have a radiator and fan mounted in front of the engine so air is forced through the radiator and across the engine. The fan pulls air through the radiator then back across the engine and runs only if additional cooling is needed. The Nytro’s engine has very little air flow across it due to its low placement. The radiator and fan is mounted above the engine so the fan pulls air through the radiator but not across the engine. The only way to get adequate air flow is to increase your speed which is not always an option.
2) The cooling system capacity is undersized which reduces its ability to dissipate the heat being produced. A bigger radiator and heat exchanger(s) would have added weight which the Yamaha engineers definitely were trying to avoid (7.4 gal fuel tank?)

The fix is to increase air flow or increase coolant capacity. I’m going to install the tunnel heat exchanger to increase capacity before I make my hood look like swish cheese.

I'm thinking of opening up the area in front of the speedo....this way hot air can escape...thru the rad. cause if ya look at the rad I see where the wind comes in but where can it escape???

Daranello said:
I'm thinking of opening up the area in front of the speedo....this way hot air can escape...thru the rad. cause if ya look at the rad I see where the wind comes in but where can it escape???

All the heat comes out from the vents behind the clutch guard. Why do you think your left leg gets so warm? Thats where the wet left foot thing came from. Its the same on my 1200 Doo, my left leg gets very warm and my wife says her left leg get real warm too. Thats where all the underhood heat comes out and the spinning secondary clutch acts like a big fan and pumps all that heat on your left leg.

If you open up the area in front of the speedometer you're going to get wet when snow comes thru the radiator and melts. Most people, I think, would find this sucks the fun out of a ride.

Back