• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GYTR Front Shock preload

I just changed out my floats for the clicker front shocks and took a ton of preload out of them but now it seems like the front end is slammed. I was just wondering what everyone else is running for preload? and how little can I go before I harm the handling and or sled?

stopdropanroll said:
I think I ran mine last year with 2.25-2.75 of pre-load. You may want to check the set up chart sticky, there maybe more info on there.

your measuring the threads on the shock body I'm guessing right.........and not the actual spring pre load.

If you take the weight of the front of the sled and measured actual spring preload ?

The best pre-load I've found for me is to lift the front of the sled up far enough so the skis are off the ground - then set the collars so that the springs can just turn when ya twist em hard enough but not enough that they move freely or can "shake"

gormleyflyer2002 said:
stopdropanroll said:
I think I ran mine last year with 2.25-2.75 of pre-load. You may want to check the set up chart sticky, there maybe more info on there.

your measuring the threads on the shock body I'm guessing right.........and not the actual spring pre load.

If you take the weight of the front of the sled and measured actual spring preload ?

You are correct, I make adjustment on the fly so lifting a sled on the trail is not a option, great for preseason setup in the shop but thats about it, I just messure the distance on the shock bodys and keep going till it feels right.

Sticks in the Face said:
The best pre-load I've found for me is to lift the front of the sled up far enough so the skis are off the ground - then set the collars so that the springs can just turn when ya twist em hard enough but not enough that they move freely or can "shake"

does you sled looked slammed in the front? The A arms are parallel

Sorry about the image quality and positioning - best I could do with my camera phone and where it's currently sitting. . . .

Attachments

• Front end.jpg
    Front end.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for the picture. I set my preload way wrong I will do it using the method that you explained

The correct definition of spring preload is the free length of the spring minus the installed, unloaded length of the spring.
The free length of the spring is preferably measured with the spring out of the sled, off the shock and flat on the workbench OR with the front end lifted off the ground and the preload fully backed off to enable a length measurement of the free spring.
The installed length of the spring is preferably measured with the shock out of the sled (with the spring installed, of course...), flat on the workbench and fully extended OR with the front end lifted off the ground to enable a length measurement of the installed spring.
This definition of preload is used by every snowmobile and shock absorber manufacturer and this is for sure the way the preload number listed in the manuals has been measured. I am not using this type of shock absorber, but according to this definition, I am using zero preload which means the free length of my spring is the same as the installed, unloaded length of my spring.

Back