• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hard to move

Mooserut

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha vkpro 2006, skandik wt 1998 500f
is it just me or the vk has a tendancy to freeze after it's been parked....

PLayed with it today...stopped for lunch and when i came back had a hard to move forward and backward....and it wasn't -20.....
Even parked in my barn I have to work hard to get it going.........

Not a complaint!!! just wondering???

if it was warm out , low snow or hardpack conditions, you may have melted the slides to the track clips.

I always either pick up and slam the rear of the sled down or use a track stand and spin the track after my sled has been parked. It can break up large ice chunks which can bind up things. Slides sticking to the track clips is common too.

Mine is an MP, not a VK, but I always lift the track off the ground overnight and let it spin free before I head out. I don't like burning up my belt to break her free everyday.

alright thanks to you guys for those hints.....
I'll check an try that...

By the way I want to prove to my buddy that a vkpro can be a trail opening machine ..... I know you're gonna tell me I'm dreaming ....but I pretty sure some of them will be surprised.....

I'm never going to say that you are dreaming, I'm going to say GO FOR IT. We don't know the limits until we find them.

I had a 06 vk pro that I had for 18,000 km, I opened up many trails here in my area, a lot of times with a two person sno coach in tow with two daughters aboard! no problem I'm talking snow upon the bonnet! It depends on a few things, first ski skins are a must! not to wide, 9in work good and second is the crappy rip saw is not a off trail track, I had the excavator 1.5 lug track, it totally changed the machine. Last, is driver knowing the feel of a fourstroke, i.e the instant torque and when to let off the throttle when the machine is losing forward momentum! Stopping, back up a few feet and then carry on. You will be surprized how many people tend to bury their machines when they lose momentum! Vk pro is totally underated! Go for it! you will be surprised!

Man ..you make me happy.....what you wrote is just music to my ear....

I was able to have a test ride last year before buying it.....I went in large farm field with unpacked snow....and i could enjoy tilting the monster on the both side sinking and loving the snow with no problem...
I went up a 900m hill with a good slope that nobody had riden....man that engine sure has horses under the bonnet.....there was roughly 3 feet of snow, could not see the bottom ...i was standing up with the back end so low that the windshield was almost a problem ......and it was so demanding that sometime I would stall and had to back up like 30 feet and give it a swing to keep climbing.......I was amazed......

Now I will rely on you experienced guys to learn the best set-up possible for soft snow...suspension wise.....on the track frame and the front suspension too.....and how to increase the reverse ability of this indcredible machine.....beside lifting the rear pad......looking to put the 11 inc ski skins.....

you just made my day.....

About your inquiry the vk freezing on, they do accumulate a little ice in the tunnel, but not enough to make it difficult to move, is the little yellow triangle light gone out in the dash before you drive away? If not the machine should not be moved until the light is out, also if parked outside lift skis as to break free of ground and as I drive away I rock the machine gently to break free the track. Hope this helps!

well I always wait for the light to go out.....and i move the skis and once straddling it i shake it a bit but it doesn't make a difference...so today i lifted the back end....the track was way easier to turn.....

thanks.....

By the way...since the 2006 doesn't have a high and low range..... did you ever felt it was a problem????

Sometimes when i do back and forth in soft snow ....like turning around in a small trail.....i can get the smell of the belt like it's not holding on...I know it could be a little loose but the machine had a tune-up and we only rode it for about 200km.....

never had a problem with belts, backing up or forward. usually got about 6000 kms out of a belt, that's a combination of trail breaking, trail riding and hauling firewood. The newer ones with low and high range are easier to burn a belt if not used in low range in difficult areas. Then the low range is too torquey and makes the track spin, low range is for hard packed trails hauling heavy loads, is the only advantage! I never felt like I needed more pulling power with my 06! I sold my pro and now I miss it for its traction and flotation. cheers!

Back