• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone changed their center shock?

MitchRS

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 RS Venture GT
I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the center shock on their RS? As I'm putting my sled back together I was checking to adjust my center shock but I'm not certain I have the correct one. As per the owner's manual, it states that the measurement from the adjustment nut to the center of the mounting point should be 4.81 inches for Soft and Standard Setting and 5.20 inches for Hard. I don't even have 5 inches between the top of the threads and the center mounting hole so I don't understand how this can be the settings in the manual..

If you've upgraded or changed yours, what have you gone with?

Shock adjustment.PNG

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the center shock on their RS? As I'm putting my sled back together I was checking to adjust my center shock but I'm not certain I have the correct one. As per the owner's manual, it states that the measurement from the adjustment nut to the center of the mounting point should be 4.81 inches for Soft and Standard Setting and 5.20 inches for Hard. I don't even have 5 inches between the top of the threads and the center mounting hole so I don't understand how this can be the settings in the manual..

If you've upgraded or changed yours, what have you gone with?

View attachment 169195

Thanks
Can you post a picture of your current shock?

If Limiter is shortened all the Preload dimensions will need to be less to get same effect. Definitely refresh the shock if not done recently. Nows the time. Call me.

That shock sure looks beat up. What happened?

I have no idea, definitely work from the previous owner. It's been quite a mess.

If Limiter is shortened all the Preload dimensions will need to be less to get same effect. Definitely refresh the shock if not done recently. Nows the time. Call me.

My limiter straps are set to the second hole from the bottom, so I guess that it's set a little tight? The shock seems to function properly once I tightened the adjusting nut. My concern was that with the measurements mentioned in the owners manual doesn't match up with the shock that I have.

I have no idea, definitely work from the previous owner. It's been quite a mess.

My limiter straps are set to the second hole from the bottom, so I guess that it's set a little tight? The shock seems to function properly once I tightened the adjusting nut. My concern was that with the measurements mentioned in the owners manual doesn't match up with the shock that I have.
To check the shock you need to remove the spring and compress it. With spring removed It should compress smoothly and evenly. It should also return to extended position smoothly and on its own. That said for $30 why take a chance on a skipping refresh if you dont know. Dirty oil will not show any signs of issues. The steel sealhead clip corrodes the body if not serviced frequently. Oil especially the original gets burnt and contaminated and will degrade the piston wear band and the body. These shocks and good parts are getting harder and harder to find.
As for the manual it could be wrong. I dont have one to measure but have found multiple mistakes in all the manuals. If you are sure shock is good start with MrSleds advise and set it at just so spring is not wiggling when mounted in skid and limiters set where you prefer. Thats Minimum. Go from there as you test ride it. Obviously tighter only. 1/2 turn even makes a difference you can feel.

To check the shock you need to remove the spring and compress it. With spring removed It should compress smoothly and evenly. It should also return to extended position smoothly and on its own. That said for $30 why take a chance on a skipping refresh if you dont know. Dirty oil will not show any signs of issues. The steel sealhead clip corrodes the body if not serviced frequently. Oil especially the original gets burnt and contaminated and will degrade the piston wear band and the body. These shocks and good parts are getting harder and harder to find.
As for the manual it could be wrong. I dont have one to measure but have found multiple mistakes in all the manuals. If you are sure shock is good start with MrSleds advise and set it at just so spring is not wiggling when mounted in skid and limiters set where you prefer. Thats Minimum. Go from there as you test ride it. Obviously tighter only. 1/2 turn even makes a difference you can feel.

I really do appreciate the offer, I'll remove the spring when I get back to the cottage since I brought it there over the weekend and see how the absorber reacts. I'll keep you posted on how it behaves but I would most likely like to replace it with a unit that has more adjustability options.

As for the limiters, I've never played with them so I'm not certain which setting i prefer yet, I bought the sled last year and rode it for the remainder of the season which I've come to find out that it was a little too stiff for me. I imagine that if the limiters are set to the lower holes that it gives the shock more preload and less sag when the skid is "floating" and the opposite when set closer to the upper holes.

That's what I suspected as well, the manual must be wrong in some areas. I'll definitely be playing with the setting over the winter! Can't wait to get back to riding.

I really do appreciate the offer, I'll remove the spring when I get back to the cottage since I brought it there over the weekend and see how the absorber reacts. I'll keep you posted on how it behaves but I would most likely like to replace it with a unit that has more adjustability options.

As for the limiters, I've never played with them so I'm not certain which setting i prefer yet, I bought the sled last year and rode it for the remainder of the season which I've come to find out that it was a little too stiff for me. I imagine that if the limiters are set to the lower holes that it gives the shock more preload and less sag when the skid is "floating" and the opposite when set closer to the upper holes.

That's what I suspected as well, the manual must be wrong in some areas. I'll definitely be playing with the setting over the winter! Can't wait to get back to riding.
Right on!

I would set everything up as per the manual and go from there. It would be pointless with worn shocks though. I find limiting weigh transfer helps a lot for safety and steering. I barely have any weight transfer. Hygear torsen spacers are very good upgrade to help prevent bottoming.

I would set everything up as per the manual and go from there. It would be pointless with worn shocks though. I find limiting weigh transfer helps a lot for safety and steering. I barely have any weight transfer. Hygear torsen spacers are very good upgrade to help prevent bottoming.
As cannondale27 mentioned, the manual might be incorrect in some sections which is what I'm running into with the center shock due to length dimensions for the pre-load settings.

- Center shock preload adjustment is on page 27 of the manual
- The rear compression damper they show on page 28 isn't the one I have on my sled; I do not have the adjustable knob on the absorber
- For weight transfer, I have weight transfer adjustments I can make as indicated on page 29 , Does increasing weight transfer bring the weight more towards the front or is it the opposite? Do you believe I would still need the Hygear torsen spacers? They seem useful
- This manual does not illustrate adjustments for the limiter straps

Last edited:
I've been using the manual in the link below and as cannondale27 mentioned, the manual might be incorrect in some sections which is what I'm running into with the center shock due to length dimensions for the pre-load settings.

- Center shock preload adjustment is on page 27 of the manual
- The rear compression damper they show on page 28 isn't the one I have on my sled; I do not have the adjustable knob on the absorber
- For weight transfer, I have weight transfer adjustments I can make as indicated on page 29 , Does increasing weight transfer bring the weight more towards the front or is it the opposite? Do you believe I would still need the Hygear torsen spacers? They seem useful
- This manual does not illustrate adjustments for the limiter straps

Manuals should not be posted in public links.

Back