• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone changed their center shock?

Thats not serviceable either. Call Travis at Barn of Parts.
How do you identify if an absorber is serviceable or not? I'm new to shock rebuilds and I only have experience with cars, which you basically just replace the shocks. I never have needed to rebuild the shocks on my dirt bikes either.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll give them a shout to see if they would have the better rear absorber with the additional chamber.

For the moment, I went ahead and ordered the kimpex unit from Fortnine. It was fairly inexpensive as well only coming in at $166CDN all in. It'll do the trick for the year while I search for a better unit and possible alterations I may need to do next spring/summer.

Well, go figure lol I received my Kimpex rear shock and I believe there isn't much nitrogen in it, I compressed it down and it takes forever for it to come back up..

Well, go figure lol I received my Kimpex rear shock and I believe there isn't much nitrogen in it, I compressed it down and it takes forever for it to come back up..

Is there a spring on it?

Low pressure gas shocks can take a long time to extend (think minutes), that is by design.
Oh ok, I've never heard of this before, I thought they all rebounded quickly to get the contact back to the ground as quickly as possible.
Wouldn't this slow extension time cause a hang up and less traction for the track!

After looking at Yamaha's micofiche for the model you have in your signature and comparing the image of your shock to it, it appears you do NOT have the 'GT' model but just have the standard 09 RS Venture model. The microfiche for the GT models show an image of a shock with an adjustment knob than just the single shock body like yours.

Venture.JPG

Still neither models have a spring on that shock so as long as the Kimpex shock cross-references with your model, I would think the shock is fine and working as designed.

Oh ok, I've never heard of this before, I thought they all rebounded quickly to get the contact back to the ground as quickly as possible.
Wouldn't this slow extension time cause a hang up and less traction for the track!

I have no idea how the shock in the RS is supposed to work as their are many designs of shocks but the drawing that @RobX-1 posted shows the torsion springs (61,62) whose job it would be to set the ride height (ride-in or sag) and to extend the shocks with no load. It is the job of the spring to keep the sled at ride height, it is the job of the shock to set how fast those transitions happen.

After looking at Yamaha's micofiche for the model you have in your signature and comparing the image of your shock to it, it appears you do NOT have the 'GT' model but just have the standard 09 RS Venture model. The microfiche for the GT models show an image of a shock with an adjustment knob than just the single shock body like yours.

View attachment 169541

Still neither models have a spring on that shock so as long as the Kimpex shock cross-references with your model, I would think the shock is fine and working as designed.

That's exactly the same analogy that I had when looking for parts on partzilla. The rear absorber must have been replaced at some point and they simply threw on a standard RS venture rear shock. The kimpex shock isn't a cross-reference part but had the same dimensions as what I currently have and I ordered it since I couldn't find anything for stock fitment. I'm going to send the Kimpex shock back and I got in touch with Travis frmo barn of parts and he has a stock GT rear shock in stock that I'll order, at least this one is rebuildable so I'll be able to have both refreshed after each season.

It's sad how I'm having trouble finding new parts for an 09 Yamaha yet my buddy has no issues getting parts for his 98 Arctic Cat lol

Last edited:
I have no idea how the shock in the RS is supposed to work as their are many designs of shocks but the drawing that @RobX-1 posted shows the torsion springs (61,62) whose job it would be to set the ride height (ride-in or sag) and to extend the shocks with no load. It is the job of the spring to keep the sled at ride height, it is the job of the shock to set how fast those transitions happen.
Makes sense, I'm learning quite a bit so this is greatly appreciated!

It's sad how I'm having trouble finding new parts for an 09 Yamaha yet my buddy has no issues getting parts for his 98 Arctic Cat lol

Although I agree with you that it is sad, it is also to be expected when the manufacturer of your snowmobile no longer produces snowmobiles. It seems Yamaha has quit stocking their OEM snowmobile parts in the states and they have to ship from Japan. Even if the part is still available, it can come up as Backoreder - no ETA where the part has to be made. That's what happened to my order that I placed back in Feb. Finally received the last items that were on backordered only to have to deal with this (that's a XTX SingleShot rail they forgot to pre-drill the holes for the rail caps):

Rails.JPG

Although I agree with you that it is sad, it is also to be expected when the manufacturer of your snowmobile no longer produces snowmobiles. It seems Yamaha has quit stocking their OEM snowmobile parts in the states and they have to ship from Japan. Even if the part is still available, it can come up as Backoreder - no ETA where the part has to be made. That's what happened to my order that I placed back in Feb. Finally received the last items that were on backordered only to have to deal with this (that's a XTX SingleShot rail they forgot to pre-drill the holes for the rail caps):

View attachment 169543
Wow seriously? I had no idea they were stopping production! How is that even possible, yamaha is a popular brand no? This is the second thing I purchase within a year that's going out of production. I bought and 2018 Nissan Titan in August and shortly after I learned that after 2021 they won't be available in Canada anymore and most likely America either..

I had the same issue, ordered some parts and then eventually I was contacted saying the parts were b/o and may not ever be available so I had to cancel them. So everytime I need something now I call partzilla so they can check their database to see if they can actually get the part.

That's unfortunate about your rail! Good thing it'll be an easy fix.

Last edited:
on my brothers 13 venture gt, i was going to get my set of 11 xtx shocks refreshed and put on the venture but he sold the sled before i did that and i made sure i stripped off the other upgrade parts i has let him borrow while he was riding it.

brother has a spare kimpex rear main shock for a proaction waiting if we need it.

that sucks about the rail robx-1. just started doing pre season on the 11 and have not gotten to the 16 yet. i know it had some rail damage last season that i need to check if i got it cured before this season.

The rail damage unfortunately lies on my shoulders as I had a suspension shaft bolt back out during trip for the TY Give-Away Ride (following week, that is) and did not notice it or damage until I got home and put it on its lift. Fortunately, have a buddy that owns a machine shop and had him install the caps and drill the holes thru the caps and rails all at one...why, because even the caps were not pre-drilled. :oops: At least the one hole that is recessed on the rail cap had a pilot but there was no marking for the second hole on the cap. I knew back in Feb that I needed these parts and good thing I had the foresight to order then instead of waiting until now. I think some guys needing non-Yamacat parts might be SOL if the parts have to ship from Japan or like mine were, still available and still orderable, but just none in stock (ie. have to be produced) and that is why you might see 'Backordered No ETA'.

@MitchRS, To some extent Yamaha will continue to offer parts for yours and mine and others snowmobiles but some items like decals do eventually become 'No Longer Available'. For the most part, you will still be able to order parts for your sled just as I can for my 03 RX-1 or my 89 Sno Scoot. The point I was trying to make is that it just seems more times than not, the part is no longer in stock in any US warehouse and has to come from Japan and we all know too well what a s@#! show the supply chain has been and still is.

Last edited:
i started keeping the rear axle, nut and the spacer washers in stock that fits 3/4 of the sleds i own as i discovered all the xtx skids, proaction, phazer and et410 are all the same part #. need to check the rear axle on mine as it had lost a washer at one point and had weird wear on the one rail at the back. it was tight at beginning of season last year.

scarily the 11-15 xtx front skid shock almost looks to be the same as the pro action one for same location. have to check my spares when i get home.

Back