• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone changed their center shock?

Regarding the manual possibly containing incorrect information, I'm not sure your particular model's manual but the one for my 08 Apex actually contains numerous different models with some having different suspensions so that would be something to confirm:

Manual.JPG

Regarding the manual possibly containing incorrect information, I'm not sure your particular model's manual but the one for my 08 Apex actually contains numerous different models with some having different suspensions so that would be something to confirm:

View attachment 169292
Maybe it's the manual that I'm using then. Because it doesn't list other models like you're showing here.

Right on!
Alright I finally got around to get back at the cottage. I took the center shock back off and removed the spring. It compresses nice and straight and extends back by itself but slowly. How fast are these supposed to rebound?

I also removed the rear absorber and it behaves in the same fashion which has me thinking these are either both really worn or they're operating normally.

As you stated, these parts hard to come by, there's actually none available at the moment, I can't find any anywhere and the last thing I want to do is modify some in place.

Let me know what you think

Alright I finally got around to get back at the cottage. I took the center shock back off and removed the spring. It compresses nice and straight and extends back by itself but slowly. How fast are these supposed to rebound?

I also removed the rear absorber and it behaves in the same fashion which has me thinking these are either both really worn or they're operating normally.

As you stated, these parts hard to come by, there's actually none available at the moment, I can't find any anywhere and the last thing I want to do is modify some in place.

I think something that is rare should be taken care of so I would personally not risk the shock by skipping the refresh. They are rebuildable for a reason. Has to be places near you that do this service. Or someone you know who could bring them over the border for service.

Get them redone. Its a waste otherwise. Its costs very little in the grand scheme of things. I waited way too long. Everything else takes a beating. The machine rides so much better. Handles so much better. I'm going replace the track next year and ill have the shocks redone then too.

Dean @ Peak Velocity in Clairmont, ON or John @ Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, On

Dean is a machinist and suspension guy, avid rider although no accounting for his taste in snowmobile brands, John is a suspension guy and former motorcycle racer. I use Dean because he is closer, and he does great work. Also, as a machinist and fabricator he can make parts or fix parts and does a lot of custom work.

I think something that is rare should be taken care of so I would personally not risk the shock by skipping the refresh. They are rebuildable for a reason. Has to be places near you that do this service. Or someone you know who could bring them over the border for service.
I completely agree. I found some places in my province and reached out to Chris and Frank at Shocktec. If I were in the states, I would have sent them your way.

Get them redone. Its a waste otherwise. Its costs very little in the grand scheme of things. I waited way too long. Everything else takes a beating. The machine rides so much better. Handles so much better. I'm going replace the track next year and ill have the shocks redone then too.
I will have them redone, especially after all the work and money that I've put into the sled this summer. I can't wait to see the difference in handling as well as knowing it's put back together correctly. The things I have came across on this machine are astonishing..

Dean @ Peak Velocity in Clairmont, ON or John @ Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, On

Dean is a machinist and suspension guy, avid rider although no accounting for his taste in snowmobile brands, John is a suspension guy and former motorcycle racer. I use Dean because he is closer, and he does great work. Also, as a machinist and fabricator he can make parts or fix parts and does a lot of custom work.

I reached out to Chris and Frank over at shocktec so I'll await their reply and most likely ship them that way. If not I will take your considerations, thank you for providing me with more vendor options.

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance, I really do appreciate it.

I completely agree. I found some places in my province and reached out to Chris and Frank at Shocktec. If I were in the states, I would have sent them your way.

I will have them redone, especially after all the work and money that I've put into the sled this summer. I can't wait to see the difference in handling as well as knowing it's put back together correctly. The things I have came across on this machine are astonishing..

I reached out to Chris and Frank over at shocktec so I'll await their reply and most likely ship them that way. If not I will take your considerations, thank you for providing me with more vendor options.

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance, I really do appreciate it.
Great to hear. When on trail or in the Bush you will be riding knowing you did the best you can. Its a good feeling!

Great to hear. When on trail or in the Bush you will be riding knowing you did the best you can. Its a good feeling!
I sure will, now we just need some snow to come down.
Do you happen to know if the rear absorber is rebuildable or do I have to find a new one?

Thanks again for any insight.
20221113_191207.jpg

20221113_191145.jpg

Last edited:
That one is not rebuildable.
Dang, I was afraid of that. Now it's on the hunt to try and find one.

Pardon my noob question, but how do they get the nitrogen into these if there's no hyperscrew at the base of the shock?

Dang, I was afraid of that. Now it's on the hunt to try and find one.

Pardon my noob question, but how do they get the nitrogen into these if there's no hyperscrew at the base of the shock?
Maybe in a pressurized chamber or they weld a hole?

Maybe in a pressurized chamber or they weld a hole?
Interesting, I do not believe they would be able to weld it shut with the gas trying to escape. It would be interesting to see how they assemble these.

I think I was able to find something that will fit, I'll have to make sure that it's the same dimensions as mine. Measurements are 17.25 in length and 18mm for top and bottom ID. Seems to be the correct dimensions from one for sale on Ebay but I'd rather order it from Fortnine if I can.

https://fortnine.ca/en/kimpex-gas-shock-332500 - This one also seems serviceable..

Interesting, I do not believe they would be able to weld it shut with the gas trying to escape. It would be interesting to see how they assemble these.

I think I was able to find something that will fit, I'll have to make sure that it's the same dimensions as mine. Measurements are 17.25 in length and 18mm for top and bottom ID. Seems to be the correct dimensions from one for sale on Ebay but I'd rather order it from Fortnine if I can.

https://fortnine.ca/en/kimpex-gas-shock-332500 - This one also seems serviceable..
Thats not serviceable either. Call Travis at Barn of Parts.

Back