• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heard a little 09 rumor yesterday.....

QCRider said:
sniperviper said:
rs engine 53kg/116,6lbs
apex 54kg/118,8lbs
phazer 34kg/75,5lbs

The question is whether the Apex engined weight includes the reduction gears. I suspect it does not, no more than any of them include the clutch.
I've seen numbers around 54-55 kg for the Apex motor, including everything, except exhaust and clutch. The weight of the reduction gears can't be much, 1-2 kg:s, maybe?

Was some swedish guys that last year weight those engines and published the numbers in a thread on a forum. In snowtech magazine (december) you can read that the new 130hp nytro engine is 5kg/11lbs lighter than the 120hp rs engine so if this numbers are correct the nytro engine should be 48kg/105,6lbs.

Now we're getting somewhere. If the Nytro is around 105 lbs, and the Apex WITH reduction gears is around 121 lbs, that is not insignificant. So if they could get the 3 cylinder motor to something in the 160 hp range it would be possible to drop 50 pounds or so from the whole Apex package in the process. 160hp and less than 500 lbs dry weight would be pretty sick.

grader said:
what is so great about the zx2 boivin skid? maybe the ride but certainly not the weight. that thing weighs within 2 pounds of the mono and its all plastic. it should weigh 30-35 lbs. yamaha could take the nytro engine and bore/stroke it out to about 1200cc and give an easy 170plus hp and the new nytro engine is 32lbs lighter than the rx engine, so theres a good weight loss to start with.

The ride is great for one.

Also hear a rumor, no big changes for 2009. No new 4 cylinder sled. FX Nytro going 136 and 144. Minor tweaks to the rest of the fleet. That's all. I've put my plans on hold back in 2005 on the rumors of the 2009 sleds talking to a Yamaha sales representative. No new 4 cyl from Yamaha = I'm ont buying a new sled for next season either.

Yamaha will release of a new apex in march. It will have a 4cyl engine with 160-170hp and a little bit lighter than todays apex but no where near a weight loss in 50-100lbs that someone is hoping for.

This from a well informed yamaha guy. Guess we all have to wait to march to see if this guy is as well informed as he claims but I really hope so!

Personally I dont care about a huge weight loss. If you want a ditch banger, why not only buy the new nytro or a xp if you not are addicted to 4strokers? I dont think it is possible to build a sled that will forfill everyones wishes.

sniperviper said:
Yamaha will release of a new apex in march. It will have a 4cyl engine with 160-170hp and a little bit lighter than todays apex but no where near a weight loss in 50-100lbs that someone is hoping for.

This from a well informed yamaha guy. Guess we all have to wait to march to see if this guy is as well informed as he claims but I really hope so!

Personally I dont care about a huge weight loss. If you want a ditch banger, why not only buy the new nytro or a xp if you not are addicted to 4strokers? I dont think it is possible to build a sled that will forfill everyones wishes.

I completely agree about not being able to build one sled that will satisfy everybody. They have a new ditch banger, so I hope that they don't go any more extreme with the rider forward on the Apex than they already have. Those two chassis' should pretty much cover everything they need. Especially if they move the Venture to the DBII chassis.

Heres a little note to Yamaha that I like them to read.

Dear Yamaha,

Please remember when you are building your future sleds that I would prefer a heavy sled that I can ride over a light sled I have to tow.. Oh and thank you for 4strokes.

Thank you
06RSRAGE

:rules

:) sure they will :)

Apex going XTX ?

Most 600 cc class sleds are putting out around 120 hp,
Most open class sleds ( 800-1000 cc ) are putting out around 150 hp.
Seems like that is what the public wants.
Do you really think they'll get into a hp war?
160 hp, 170 hp, 180 hp?
The average rider wont want to pay the insurance premiums on these type of sleds.

id just like to see a 136 nytro.....not that i could afford it but they shoulda released one when they first came out...also a lighter apex would be nice....

Back