• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How BIG of deal will the Sidewinder be to the History of sledding / Yamaha?

HP on sleds cant really be compared to hp on new 4 stroke jet skis. Jet skis have almost no moving parts in the driveline, and its an impeller in water. There is really nothing to break in the driveline unless you suck up rocks in your jet pump or hit bottom. Snowmobile drivelines are a cluster-%&$ comparatively. Lots of things to break, lots of moving parts and they have lots of traction. Plus the fact that jet skis keep getting bigger and bigger. I have a honda aquatrax turbo and my parents have a couple of seadoo sparks. The sparks to me are way more fun, half the weight, they accelerate faster and holeshot way harder.

I dont know how many guys on this forum have rode a legit 200+hp turbo sled. Its no joke, especially when you get that crunchy high traction snow. I trail ride at 11psi, so prob in the 225ish hp range. On days where the trail has good traction, it is downright dangerous. You need to have serious respect for the power and how fast it can get you in trouble. Cruising at 30-40 mph, you smash the throttle and it lifts the skis and youre pulling past the 100mph mark in seconds.
I wonder how many insurance claims will be filed on totaled sidewinders and if that will effect insurance prices in the future? 200+ HP is no joke.

I wonder on the "insurance claims' question. No doubt scary fast can get you into trouble BUT only those who can afford a 16k sled will be purchasing this and hopefully that will select out a more mature less DRUNK rider who respects what he has and rides accordingly.

I know for me when I got my 06 Apex I was a safer driver because I KNEW I could accelerate and out top end the others I was with and did not need to prove it they als0 did not want to push it and LOSE.

We will see.

I'm in my 60s and have a 500ish hp muscle car for 31years. Don't have anything to prove, but wanted a better handling sled with great power. Ordered a ltx-dx. My 11apex was great, but somewhat of a tank
Fairly new to sledding and a lot of my friends have turbo cats. The bench racing has really gotten hot lol. Let's hope for a good snow season.

I don't think it will change much. It doesn't take a 200HP sled to do something stupid. People will do stupid #*$&@ no matter what sled they are on. I'll agree with Yamadoo on this one and say that it might make some people think twice about doing said "stupid #*$&@" while on a $16K sled.

Last winter a fellow I know is lucky to be alive after taking out a ice hut at night after heavy drinking. His machine is a writeoff and he was airlifted to hospital with severe frostbite. On a lighter note, I think that it's a big deal for Yamaha with the introduction of the SW. Good for the sport overall. What else has sparked so much chatter.

I don't think Yamaha will ever buy AC nothing of value for them. If HD buys AC Yamaha will drop AC like a hot potato not going to support a bike competitior. 2017 a telling year for Yamaha sleds if no Vector & Apex replacement it is not going to happen. I'm tired of waiting maybe have to finally look at at doo 4s. No OEM contract extension also very telling Yamaha in no hurry to ink a new agreement with AC. Sure AC workers would luv Yamaha to buy AC but prolly going to the bone pile in 3 years if not bought by someone. Yamaha reorged in Canada so watch what happens from there keep ears pointed to Canada for news.

My experience with insurance on High HP sled, my boosted sled with over $7,000 of goodies added and running about twice the HP as it was stock, and my stock Apexs is only about $50 extra per year for full coverage.

I asked my Ins. Agent twice "are you sure that's right, you know it's capable of twice the HP"
They said that was the correct premium.

I have Natiowide insurance.

I don't think Yamaha will ever buy AC nothing of value for them. If HD buys AC Yamaha will drop AC like a hot potato not going to support a bike competitior. 2017 a telling year for Yamaha sleds if no Vector & Apex replacement it is not going to happen. I'm tired of waiting maybe have to finally look at at doo 4s. No OEM contract extension also very telling Yamaha in no hurry to ink a new agreement with AC. Sure AC workers would luv Yamaha to buy AC but prolly going to the bone pile in 3 years if not bought by someone. Yamaha reorged in Canada so watch what happens from there keep ears pointed to Canada for news.

I too have my fingers crossed for a 100% pure yamaha for 50th. When you you look at the cost of viper parts versus apex/vector parts, yamaha has to be seeing greater profit margins on the cat built sleds since they retail in line with the japan sleds. My hope is the yamacat sleds are funding some new R&D and will allow for a pure japan sled in the near future. It doesn't have to roll off a Japan assembly line....it just has to come off a Yamaha assembly line with the quality Yamaha owners have grown to appreciate.

My experience with insurance on High HP sled, my boosted sled with over $7,000 of goodies added and running about twice the HP as it was stock, and my stock Apexs is only about $50 extra per year for full coverage.

I asked my Ins. Agent twice "are you sure that's right, you know it's capable of twice the HP"
They said that was the correct premium.

I have Natiowide insurance.
My insurance broker said my policy will decrease going from the Viper to the Sidewinder. Due to smaller cc displacement over 1000 is the next bracket up for them I guess. This is State Farm Canada

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I too have my fingers crossed for a 100% pure yamaha for 50th. When you you look at the cost of viper parts versus apex/vector parts, yamaha has to be seeing greater profit margins on the cat built sleds since they retail in line with the japan sleds. My hope is the yamacat sleds are funding some new R&D and will allow for a pure japan sled in the near future. It doesn't have to roll off a Japan assembly line....it just has to come off a Yamaha assembly line with the quality Yamaha owners have grown to appreciate.
Yes I agree new composite sleds could be built in USA & would be engineered by Yamaha. The 50th would be the time for introduction or prolly won't happen ever. Something has to give either renew AC OEM agreement or move on to pure Yamaha sleds. No renewal is indicating it maybe over with AC...5 years and done. Yamaha will still sell them engines but Viper/ Sidewinder mfg maybe done and moving on to new platform. Really no different when moving on to any new product. There will be leaks soon as 2o17 release gets closer or Yamaha will ink a new deal with AC. AC has to be getting very nervous at the top and workers are more stressed not knowing what will happen with their employer. Hostile take over can change everything just need someone to put up the money & done deal....AC sold.

I hope all you guys that are hoping for something big for the 50th anniversary get what your looking for. Personally I went with the new sidewinder, I thought about waiting for something big for the 50th but the more I started thinking about it the more I realized the sidewinder was what I have been waiting for. I wanted a factory built turbo, and I wanted it in an awesome chasis, I love the procross chasis and with these new shocks it should even be better. I have rode the apex and vector, they are great smooth trail machines, but I couldn't stand riding them when the trails got rough. So hopefuly you guys get whatever your looking for and not just some new 50th anniversary colours.

I hope all you guys that are hoping for something big for the 50th anniversary get what your looking for. Personally I went with the new sidewinder, I thought about waiting for something big for the 50th but the more I started thinking about it the more I realized the sidewinder was what I have been waiting for. I wanted a factory built turbo, and I wanted it in an awesome chasis, I love the procross chasis and with these new shocks it should even be better. I have rode the apex and vector, they are great smooth trail machines, but I couldn't stand riding them when the trails got rough. So hopefuly you guys get whatever your looking for and not just some new 50th anniversary colours.
I hear ya ...no Vector or Apex replacement & I'll have to look elsewhere. You are right my 2012 Apex XTX is horrible when I have to ride whoopped out trails...Yamaha has to do better. Maybe a used Sidewinder if I demo one & luv it but I really don't need 200 ponies when 150-160 plenty for me but I do need a better handling sled in the ruff.

Yes I agree new composite sleds could be built in USA & would be engineered by Yamaha. The 50th would be the time for introduction or prolly won't happen ever. Something has to give either renew AC OEM agreement or move on to pure Yamaha sleds. No renewal is indicating it maybe over with AC...5 years and done. Yamaha will still sell them engines but Viper/ Sidewinder mfg maybe done and moving on to new platform. Really no different when moving on to any new product. There will be leaks soon as 2o17 release gets closer or Yamaha will ink a new deal with AC. AC has to be getting very nervous at the top and workers are more stressed not knowing what will happen with their employer. Hostile take over can change everything just need someone to put up the money & done deal....AC sold.
My thoughts are if the Yamaha and Cat deal are done then the Sidewinder would never have been released. No way Yamaha puts a sled out for one yr and then goes with a new chassis. That just wouldn't make sense. Way to many costs and development to do this. I'm starting to think a takeover of Cat is in the works. People say this makes no sense but think about it. First it's much cheaper for Yamaha to produce the sleds here. Yamaha has a new SxS plant in the U.S. but the atv/utv market is booming and there probably isn't excess room for sled production. This is probably why no 800 ctech was released. It would be direct competition for the Sidewinder. We all know Cat faithful have been waiting for it. Also think if Tucker was riding a Blue sled to victory every weekend! Who knows only time will tell.

I really hope Yamaha comes out with something big for their 50th year. I know they have it in them to come out with something crazy. Yeah the sidewinder is an awesome sled but really its just a new motor in the same chassis with some different plastic. I'm waiting for new totally Yamaha built sled.

Back