• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How BIG of deal will the Sidewinder be to the History of sledding / Yamaha?

My thoughts are if the Yamaha and Cat deal are done then the Sidewinder would never have been released. No way Yamaha puts a sled out for one yr and then goes with a new chassis. That just wouldn't make sense. Way to many costs and development to do this. I'm starting to think a takeover of Cat is in the works. People say this makes no sense but think about it. First it's much cheaper for Yamaha to produce the sleds here. Yamaha has a new SxS plant in the U.S. but the atv/utv market is booming and there probably isn't excess room for sled production. This is probably why no 800 ctech was released. It would be direct competition for the Sidewinder. We all know Cat faithful have been waiting for it. Also think if Tucker was riding a Blue sled to victory every weekend! Who knows only time will tell.
I like your thinking!

I said this before my dealer sold tens of Vipers last year 2016 and 1 ONE Vector. Zero Apexes. There is no way the deal is not going to be renewed. They (Yamaha) would have no sleds to sell. That and there's no way the Sidewinder is a one year sled. The Procross is a great handling chassis and the 998 turbo is the baddest bitch ever slapped in a factory sled. Enough said.

As it may or may not have been mentioned a cheaper new sled needs to be made. Talking the $7000-$8000 range.
Polaris addressed this with the Indy but I think a 4 stroke sled can be in the market for this as well.

When comparing jet skies it a bit different because companies are coming back around to the 90's style skies. Standsup skies are being reintroduced by Kawi in 2017 since stopping production some years ago. Yamaha Superjets are climbing in popularity again. Now the Seadoo Spark, a base entry smaller ski is offered. I believe it has the 600 900 ACE engine which is plenty of power for most family target riders. Yamaha is coming out this coming year with a early 90's blaster style ski. Its got a mid range engine like the Spark and is lighter and smaller. Plus its a well proven 4 stroke like all Yamaha engines. More important it will be affordable and fun! People are wanting to go back to the roots of some of the sports and have the sport be affordable and reliable with new equipment.. I can only hope that maybe the Sled market will do the same.

Yes there will be the big number sleds on the market. I think much of this spawned off the huge increase in mountain riding and its popularity with social media. Bigger longer tracks need power esp in elevation. So more powerful engines are required for the average/rookie rider to succeed.

Just my $1.50.....

My thoughts are if the Yamaha and Cat deal are done then the Sidewinder would never have been released. No way Yamaha puts a sled out for one yr and then goes with a new chassis. That just wouldn't make sense. Way to many costs and development to do this. I'm starting to think a takeover of Cat is in the works. People say this makes no sense but think about it. First it's much cheaper for Yamaha to produce the sleds here. Yamaha has a new SxS plant in the U.S. but the atv/utv market is booming and there probably isn't excess room for sled production. This is probably why no 800 ctech was released. It would be direct competition for the Sidewinder. We all know Cat faithful have been waiting for it. Also think if Tucker was riding a Blue sled to victory every weekend! Who knows only time will tell.
I don't think the Sidewinder or Tcat were 1 year sleds. Yamaha must have some legal agreement regarding production time for these sleds including Vipers. New owners will have to know before buying AC of all commitments to Yamaha. Who knows may have queered deal with HD?

I don't think the Sidewinder or Tcat were 1 year sleds. Yamaha must have some legal agreement regarding production time for these sleds including Vipers. New owners will have to know before buying AC of all commitments to Yamaha. Who knows may have queered deal with HD?
You are aware that the "HD" rumor was part of a "crap" stirring thread in the GDF on HCS. The source is some obscure bloggers opinion with zero inside knowledge. Just an FYI. Yamaha is smart to bail on a dying industry. There is next to nothing in it for them. The dream of Yamaha buying Arctic Cat so Yamaha fans can claim they are still making sleds is just silly. There is no money in it, and Yamaha knows it.

You are aware that the "HD" rumor was part of a "crap" stirring thread in the GDF on HCS. The source is some obscure bloggers opinion with zero inside knowledge. Just an FYI. Yamaha is smart to bail on a dying industry. There is next to nothing in it for them. The dream of Yamaha buying Arctic Cat so Yamaha fans can claim they are still making sleds is just silly. There is no money in it, and Yamaha knows it.
Nobody is claiming Yamaha makes the chassis. Just the motor and a drivetrain that works. 2laps if they do buy Cat you are going to eat your words all over the Internet. Such a party pooper you are. Why? What's your motive?

Nobody is claiming Yamaha makes the chassis. Just the motor and a drivetrain that works. 2laps if they do buy Cat you are going to eat your words all over the Internet. Such a party pooper you are. Why? What's your motive?
Not sure what your problem is. The level of misinformation on this website since the clown show began is hilarious. Arctic Cat might go tits up tomorrow. Don't care one way or the other. I am not invested in either company. If Yamaha buys Arctic Cat that would prove that they are even more stupid then they were when they decided four stroke was the only way to go. Try to freaking relax.

Not sure what your problem is. The level of misinformation on this website since the clown show began is hilarious. Arctic Cat might go tits up tomorrow. Don't care one way or the other. I am not invested in either company. If Yamaha buys Arctic Cat that would prove that they are even more stupid then they were when they decided four stroke was the only way to go. Try to freaking relax.
What you fail to realize today in business of all manufactures (auto,motorcycle,marine,trucking and last but not least recreational vehicles)is in fact the truth ,all share some sort of involvement with other makers do to the higher cost of engineering and retooling and so on to help keep the manufacturing costs lower ,in turn many have invested their efforts to specialize and capitalize in certain areas of manufacturing the components to a higher degree to insure its quality rather than spread themselves thin and making the manufacturing more expensive and difficult to manage Never bite more than you can chew.Today's world,business is business,therefore I myself prefer Quality over Quantity.The agreement among both of these companies has proven to be a success and has helped them both regain control to the market share without the high cost of investment to have to independently restructure,so the end result is a Win Win situation.Nothing wrong about that.
A

I hate it when mommy & daddy fight. Mr. Sled, we need a HUG forum. 2slaps, you may be right, you may be wrong. All i know is i'll have between 180-211 horsepower under my sack this year on a very good & dialed in chassis. As long as Yamaha keeps making the 4-stroke motor, i don't care if it's a Yamaha or Cat, i'll buy it. If this new DOO motor turns out to be what they say, maybe i'll change my mind. Until then, calling a VERY successful & huge company "stupid" is a little mean. Do you need a hug?

if you read this month snow tech you'll see there would never be a sw without cat .the cost to develop just the motor was hugh let along making a new chassie .

i think Cat will loose a lot of shares from it's 9000 crowd to the new sidewinder... i don't know it the total of both will increase a lot vs 2016 9000's but the SW is selling and a lot of poeple are waiting and watching...so way to go Yamaha...and keep it coming be it with or wihtout AC i don't care, if it makes the sleds get better then DOO IT....:yam::bump::bump:

i think Cat will loose a lot of shares from it's 9000 crowd to the new sidewinder... i don't know it the total of both will increase a lot vs 2016 9000's but the SW is selling and a lot of poeple are waiting and watching...so way to go Yamaha...and keep it coming be it with or wihtout AC i don't care, if it makes the sleds get better then DOO IT....:yam::bump::bump:

I'm a bit puzzled by Cat loosing shares to the Sidewinder. They have the same sled the T-Cat. How the sales of that sled is doing I don't know but I know one Cat guy here buying a T-Cat. Personally if I had to make a choice between the two I'd buy the T-Cat. I like the looks better and its the same sled.

Back