• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many are happy with thier Viper?

Are you happy with your Viper?

• Yes

Votes: 92 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
Love the sled and the hurricane turbo works like a dream. Other than my tunnel cracking and some clutching that took a while to figure out, and my 1.7 inch track that's falling apart (have a 1.5 ripsaw in the garage for next year). Also will get a new tunnel after the riding season is over so overall not a big deal. It is a pain to do some some stuff on it but what new sled now a days is easy to work on really. Sled always starts and has never left me stranded knock on wood. I have 2800 miles on it now. 2015 rtx le

My 16 ltx LE (mpi turbo) is an incredible bump machine. Being a lifelong Yamaha rider I've never experienced hitting the bumps with a full mitt. Very cool! The handy pouch behind the steering post is great for keeping my phone warm which I use as my trail map. The power is absurd in the trails. I have a slight lag on the turbo but when it hits, my arms stretch....love it!! The riding position and comfort is very good and the heated seat is a perfect addition for cold days. Hoping my gas consumption improves when I get some more Kms on. I'm just around 500 right now due to the terrible snow in southern Ont.

Most of my concerns can be fixed with the help of the TY group and all they have to offer on viper talk ( thnx and keep up the good work). I'm looking forward to tinkering with suspension and clutching to really make this a perfect machine.

Most of my disappointment comes from the fit and finish that I'm used to. Having to trim my own sled platics and having to drive my sled 2 hrs back to the dealer I purchased it from to replace the stickers that are falling off is bothersome but I can handle it. And that hex nut that holds the seat down is a joke. It's a small thing but to me it looks like something is missing. Yes, I know I can buy decorative chrome finger nut for $35 which makes the bad joke even worse.

The only think that really bothers me is riding with "rod anxiety "! Otherwise I'm more than happy to put in the time to make this sled perfect.

Thanks to postings on TY, for the past two years I have lived with nagging fears in the back of my head: will my 8jp belt self destruct; will my muffler blow; will my chaincase fail; will my tri-hub make it through the weekend, or leave me stranded 100 miles from the trailer; and worst of all, is my next "start" my last before the starter tanks? There are probably a few other "viper-phobias" that have popped up from time to time after reading the forums here, but those are the ones that come to mind, off the top of my head.

The truth is that I loved my sled last year, and this year I added some SLP Mohawk skis with Bergstrom skegs; a J&T 4th wheel kit; and an OSP adjuster. Despite a terrible snow year in Maine, I managed to put in about 1,700 miles, loving every one of them. None of my fears have materialized, at least not yet. I got off my sled yesterday after 350 miles this weekend with flat groomed trails, sno-cross bumps, and one last run across the lake at 96 mph (GPS), and thought to myself: "I LOVE THIS SLED!"

Thanks to postings on TY, for the past two years I have lived with nagging fears in the back of my head: will my 8jp belt self destruct; will my muffler blow; will my chaincase fail; will my tri-hub make it through the weekend, or leave me stranded 100 miles from the trailer; and worst of all, is my next "start" my last before the starter tanks? There are probably a few other "viper-phobias" that have popped up from time to time after reading the forums here, but those are the ones that come to mind, off the top of my head.

The truth is that I loved my sled last year, and this year I added some SLP Mohawk skis with Bergstrom skegs; a J&T 4th wheel kit; and an OSP adjuster. Despite a terrible snow year in Maine, I managed to put in about 1,700 miles, loving every one of them. None of my fears have materialized, at least not yet. I got off my sled yesterday after 350 miles this weekend with flat groomed trails, sno-cross bumps, and one last run across the lake at 96 mph (GPS), and thought to myself: "I LOVE THIS SLED!"
Same here with my xtx. 400 miles this weekend in the county and had a permagrin the whole time. The only odd thing that happened was 3 times when I started the sled it idled and then stalled. Cranked it back up and no issues. I got mine dialed in for the trail turns awesome with the hygear progressive linkage. Absolutely love my sled the faster you go on the studder bumps the more stable. Not once did the back end come out from under me.

Where there is snow. I hope

Two additional points following my last ride in Cadillac Michigan this weekend.

First of all, the Curve ski works very good on my sled, far better than the stock tuners.

Secondly, the 8jp belt is worth 3-4mph over the 8dn, opposite of what you may have read before. It also accelerates harder. (I have shimmed my secondary to allow full shift out. I also ran the 8dn since new because of the direction here on TY. I only put the 8jp on to test it given that I was at the end of the weekend and wanted to at least try the belt. Low and behold, a pretty good improvement over the 8dn!)

Now I can do about 86/87 mph (in the snow) , but still too slow for 140hp in a light weight chassis.

First of all, the Curve ski works very good on my sled, far better than the stock tuners.

Secondly, the 8jp belt is worth 3-4mph over the 8dn, opposite of what you may have read before. It also accelerates harder. (I have shimmed my secondary to allow full shift out. I also ran the 8dn since new because of the direction here on TY. I only put the 8jp on to test it given that I was at the end of the weekend and wanted to at least try the belt. Low and behold, a pretty good improvement over the 8dn!)

Now I can do about 86/87 mph (in the snow) , but still too slow for 140hp in a light weight chassis.

I am sure the Curves are great on the Viper; I love my Mohawks more and more everytime I ride. I think the moral of the story is that this sled performs best with a good single keel ski. I also agree with you on the 8jp belt; I have the OSP adjuster and put on an 8dn, but really preferred my 8jp and took the 8dn right off. I realize it makes a little dust, but overall, I couldn't be happier.

I think that we Viper owners should go back to the old Yamaha speedometers. The Viper speedo is spot on with the GPS, so if you are doing 86/87 according to your speedo, you really are doing 86/87. Last year I was doing 94 on my speedo and the GPS and pulling away from my buddy on his Vector, and his speedo said 102-104. I think that if we had the old style speedos, we would be bragging about how fast our sleds were instead of complaining!

I was in Maine from Wednesday night 3/2/16 thru Monday morning. My 14 SR Viper RT-X was right at home. Trail conditions went from almost perfect Wednesday night and Thursday to really beat up in Fort Kent Friday night and Saturday. ITS 105 was very nice, well groomed with little traffic. Eagle lake area was very ruff in spots but over all fast. The ride back to Van Buren from Lake View restaurant Sunday night was all groomed, awesome ride at night. I have always had it in my head that something is going to fail on my sled only because of all the issues with the SR-Vipers reported on the internet. Rogers Sport Center has taken care of any recalls and installed a few modifications, the sled is amazing. I have had non of the issues yet, over 2000 hard miles riding with Apexes at speed for long runs, banging thru non-groomed trails. -18 degrees in Jackman Maine over night and Started up no problem, other sleds were having trouble. I do have a couple upgrades to the sled as anyone will. The beast upgrade was the MPI turbo w/gears and clutching done by Danny at Rogers Sport Center in Fort Kent. I had the turbo put in at just over 300 miles and it made the difference. I run with Apexes all the time, how fast it goes strait is only part of the package. The speed I can carry into and thru the corners is great, "I LOVE THIS SLED".

I ran both the 8JP & 8DN belts. I also feel that the 8JP is more responsive then the 8DN.
I never had 8JP belt problems but I never ran stock clutching in my sled.

MPH between the two belts seems to be a wash. Snow conditions really affects this sled for MPH.
Max speed I've gotten between 102 & 104 MPH on ideal perfect conditions with both belts.

I removed the springs from both my clutches and measured belt travel with and w/o shimmed secondary.
With the secondary shimmed the 8JP belt does ride higher on the primary.
I plan on running a shimmed secondary next season and see how it works.

Gentlemen
I traded my 14 Viper in on the 16 RTXSE.
I installed my MBRP Trail can,
Removed washers from secondary, New 8DN belt with OSP adjuster sitting perfect,
Ulmer Primary /Secondary clutch kits set up with 2 weights on tip, 2 on Keel and Stock spring on Secondary set to 3/3.
I absolutely Love the Pull off the start. I LOve how it handels. I Love the new quick adjust shock package and dual runner skis. BUT I am getting my #*$&@ kicked on the lake? Even by a totally stock 16 Viper? 143km/hr is tops!
Any Help Dialling this in would be appreciated!
Barney

Gentlemen
I traded my 14 Viper in on the 16 RTXSE.
I installed my MBRP Trail can,
Removed washers from secondary, New 8DN belt with OSP adjuster sitting perfect,
Ulmer Primary /Secondary clutch kits set up with 2 weights on tip, 2 on Keel and Stock spring on Secondary set to 3/3.
I absolutely Love the Pull off the start. I LOve how it handels. I Love the new quick adjust shock package and dual runner skis. BUT I am getting my #*$&@ kicked on the lake? Even by a totally stock 16 Viper? 143km/hr is tops!
Any Help Dialling this in would be appreciated!
Barney
You may need a gear change

I hate to be one of the Debbie Downers; I like the sled for the most part, but my Viper will probably get sold. ~2000 miles on it now and with the motor broken in, the "burble" is getting much worse. So bad, it can't be driven slow and the motor is hard on plugs. Earlier this season, it died on me in the woods and had to get towed out. It was fouled plugs. Last trip up with my wife, it tried to do the same thing after a trail side break. It only had about 100 miles on those plugs. I know some have done the aftermarket tuner and fixed this but I am NOT going to spend money to fix a factory running issue. I would rather switch brands. Harsh but this sled is in its 3rd year. NO reason this bug should not be fixed by now. I don't care about "Cat electronics", it says Yamaha on the side panels and that's what it is.

2014 xtx with mpi turbo....1200 miles with the turbo and ZERO issues ..put guages on just recently so I can tweek the settings....would love a sw but I'm not going to rush as mine is almost same

via big bad phone

2016 rtx dx completly stock, 6,410 miles to date original belt, original hyfax, 2nd set of runners no problems at all excellent handling sled. I have done nothing but change fluids as needed, set the suspension as needed and rode the hell out of it.

2016 L-TX-LE: SRX to RX-1 to APEX to Viper--> The Viper is fantastic in my opinion. Ease of riding and no punishment to the body on trails that are tore up.

Back