• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hygear VS. Ohlins

I doubt it. I run Ohlins all around, they work fine, but I think hygear will completely match the shocks to you and your riding style. My ultimate choice would be to trailer my sled to hygear and just let them tune to me. You know, just try this, and then try that, and etc...

I have the trail pro(I think!) package among a whole bunch of other mods, and love what Ross did with the revalving. But I don't think the triple rate spring on the fronts are the way to go. They seem to allow the front to roll to much for my liking. The revalve made the ride so much better, but will be two weeks before I can go back to the stock front springs and retry those. This season, I can actually say I love my RTX, its a great sled after alot of tweaking. YMMV

My fronts with Hygear TR spings stock valving do not keep up with my Ohlins rears. I will have hygear revalve them in the summer to see what happens. I have had 4 sleds with Ohlins and can't say enough good stuff about them. To this date I have not tried anything that works as good as the Ohlins. I liked the idea of the TR springs so I tried them and saved some money. They helped my handling appreciably over stock springs.

Shocks for the most part are only as good as they are valved.

gormleyflyer2002 said:
I have Ohlins on mine.....IMO, save the money and get him to revalve and tune yours, front and rear.

I agree...

daranello

i have a complete set of hygear shocks from my 08 rtx, trail pro set up with resevoirs on front,torsion spacers that i used for a little last season. i am going to sell my sled and would be willing to sell these seperately....give me a pm and we can talk if you are interested...they were great the way they were set up and turned the rtx into a whole different sled

I will be able to give you way more feedback in December once I get to try the Hygear works(trail-pro) fronts.

I am partial to Ohlins because I have them other sleds and have had great luck. I have seen Ohlins transform a sled from average to awesome. But, I chose the Hygear front setup because I think the triple rate springs is the hot ticket to improving the handling of this sled. I noticed that when I softened the front end of the nytro the handling improved as the front travel was further engaged.

I chose Ohlins for the rear because I always wanted 46mm shock bodies, I like that they had rebound, Hi/lo speed compression adjustments and I think they are the best.

I put a lot of thought in to this decision and that was my conclusion. I can tell you that the Ohlins rear setup just plain kicks butt, however I haven't tried a Hygear rear skid to compare. The triple rate springs on the xtx made a huge handling improvement, but couldn't keep up with the Ohlins. I can't wait to try them now that they have been reworked. I hope relaying my thought process may help you.

LeeKo

You can't just change springs.... You need to do both. Doing one is like a bandaid..

SledFreak said:
You can't just change springs.... You need to do both. Doing one is like a bandaid..

Exactly.
Just a thought, but IMHO, a good valve stack may make multi stage spring setups unnecessary? Not saying they aren't any good, just that tuning a multi progressive spring setup is going to take some experience, not to mention a collection of springs - and STILL depend on a well calibrated valve stack? A single straight rate spring that holds the front end height where you want it, along with a valve stack that's been dialed in to your riding style, can be just as effective for most people, not to mention simpler to tune. Those are my thoughts anyway....

ahicks,
You make valid points. However, I think that it may be difficult to get a straight rate spring to give you the proper ride height along with enough overall spring rate. The top spring in the triple stack is a tender spring that just controls ride height. In my opinion you would need at least a dual rate setup to get the sled to handle the best it can be. In my experience the lowered front end really helps the handling of this sled.

Back