• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am surprised by some of you (though...not really)

i have no prob with them using the cat chassi but i have big issue with the same look,i dont want a ac i want a yammi.the other thing is all this build up & secrecy for a 2 year old chassi ;):D this does not make me want to go buy one + another year the mountain guys get slapped in the face,snowest wont even inclued the yammi mtn sled in the shootout because the wont even compete in stock for.this is just my opinion of course i have only owned yammi sleds for 20years so i think my opinion is valid. ;)!

What's funny is when I first seen the Procross I thought it looked more "yamaha" then "Arctic cat" to me. Now in BLUE it definately looks more yamaha to me. If I was purchasing a new sled this year it would be a Viper 141". I went to buy a left over Nytro in 10' and came home with a Phazer instead as the nytro was too much for me to man handle and the phazer responded a lot better to my body English. I really would have be happy with a 95-100hp Venom if it was offered, especially if it had a MSRP 1500$ cheaper.

I think blueiron makes a good point about the look of a yamaha, has the thought come to anyone that maybe yamaha has had their fingers in the development of the procross chassis form the begging. I'm just thinking that the machining and tooling of that chassis to fit the Nytro motor didn't happen over night. Maybe it looks like a yamaha because it has some yamaha blood in its original roots?

I have to laugh at all the "diehards" who are threatening to jump to doo. On the Cat websites they are saying the same thing. .. Just tooooo funny.
News to anyone that thinks their present Nytro handles as well as all the other brands.... Your dreaming or looking at the world with rose coloured glasses.
End result of this "marriage" is a sled that will have to make both sides hold their noses but it won't matter, the grin on your face will be frozen in place. Heritage and AK you're dead on. ;)!

Mazz said:
I think blueiron makes a good point about the look of a yamaha, has the thought come to anyone that maybe yamaha has had their fingers in the development of the procross chassis form the begging. I'm just thinking that the machining and tooling of that chassis to fit the Nytro motor didn't happen over night. Maybe it looks like a yamaha because it has some yamaha blood in its original roots?
That's what I have been saying......yamaha had there fingers in this since the beginning

When the Nytro came out, Yamaha said over and over that they went with a triple because it was lighter than a twin since it didn't need balance shafts. The procross 1100NA was just about the same weight as a Nytro. I believe the Viper will be lighter than the Nytro. The great thing about the procross is it hides its weight much better than any Yamaha. If you haven't ridden one you must. You simply can't pass judgement without riding one.

Basically, before a guy goes crazy mail ordering bolt on parts, ride a Viper or Procross and then go back and ride your Nytro. If you are honest with yourself, you will be much happier cutting your losses and moving on if you are a performance rider who bought your sled for ride and handling qualities. If you just like to putt around than it doesn't matter. For that kind of riding I'd rather have a Vector. Its a much nicer and more versatile sled for trail cruising.

I'm copy/pasting this from another thread because that's basically what the name callers are also doing. BTW I'm not a cry-baby.. I'm tentatively hopeful.

I REALLY like this sled, everything about it is begging for me to buy it!! but.. then I talked to 3 of my friends who have purchased this chassis from Cat this year (2x 1100T and one 800) and of the three, two have bent their rails, two have replaced their chaincases and all three chew through $200.00 belts like they're candy. Hopefully they do some strengthening on the rails and chaincase and we all know Yamaha clutches are solid. I'm in for an XTX SE.. but not the first year model.

I'll let the 'eager beavers' (you know the ones calling the nay-sayers crybabies) go through the inevitable teething and quality control problems that AC brings into the mix for at least the first year to see if Yamaha can teach them fellers in Thief River Falls how to manufacture.

p.s. Each of my friends said something along the lines of, 'best sled I've ever ridden for the two weeks that it lasted until I had to fix something..' One has already gone back to Doo.

AKrider said:
The great thing about the procross is it hides its weight much better than any Yamaha. If you haven't ridden one you must. You simply can't pass judgement without riding one.

Basically, before a guy goes crazy mail ordering bolt on parts, ride a Viper or Procross and then go back and ride your Nytro. If you are honest with yourself, you will be much happier cutting your losses and moving on if you are a performance rider who bought your sled for ride and handling qualities. If you just like to putt around than it doesn't matter. For that kind of riding I'd rather have a Vector. Its a much nicer and more versatile sled for trail cruising.

This is def a positive for yamaha. Yes it might hurt the diehard yamaha guys' pride but think about it. You now have a excellent chasis and suspension (which yamaha needed and everyone was asking for) and an excellent motor. This is what were looking for!

I was seriously considering getting a new sled. I almost bought a new renegade backcountry on monday. However, I couldn't justify spending that much money for 3-4 months of the year. If I needed it yes I would buy one.

I wont be trying out the new viper because I know for a fact that it is going to be an awesome handling machine and is going to be alot better than my nytro. Simply said, if I drive a viper I will probably be buying one and I my bank account needs to do some catching up lately!

For those guys that are all pissed off with yamaha taking the procross chasis, think about the advantages! This is what everyone was crying for and now its here. This is a good thing!

Duey782 said:
I'm copy/pasting this from another thread because that's basically what the name callers are also doing. BTW I'm not a cry-baby.. I'm tentatively hopeful.

I REALLY like this sled, everything about it is begging for me to buy it!! but.. then I talked to 3 of my friends who have purchased this chassis from Cat this year (2x 1100T and one 800) and of the three, two have bent their rails, two have replaced their chaincases and all three chew through $200.00 belts like they're candy. Hopefully they do some strengthening on the rails and chaincase and we all know Yamaha clutches are solid. I'm in for an XTX SE.. but not the first year model.

I'll let the 'eager beavers' (you know the ones calling the nay-sayers crybabies) go through the inevitable teething and quality control problems that AC brings into the mix for at least the first year to see if Yamaha can teach them fellers in Thief River Falls how to manufacture.

p.s. Each of my friends said something along the lines of, 'best sled I've ever ridden for the two weeks that it lasted until I had to fix something..' One has already gone back to Doo.

I'm probably more excited about the Viper than most because my buddies switched to Cat after all the Polaris 800 motor problems. Now three of them are riding turbo proclimbs. After years of giving me crap for riding a heavy 4 stroke now they are one. The huge difference is they didn't have to give up ride and handling for their 4 stroke. They not had all the belt issues you read about. If you are worried about your rails the Cat race Dept offers rail stiffeners. The Cat bashing is overblown on the Internet. If a guy has half a brain you can make these sleds work. AND...AND.. Yamaha just did a bunch of the work for you! The Yamaha clutches are going to eliminate the issues some Cat guys had with their poorly set up secondaries.

AKrider said:
If you are worried about your rails the Cat race Dept offers rail stiffeners.

Actually that is EXACTLY what I'm worried about.......I'm a big guy (I come by my "handle" honestly) and I wonder how you would go about ordering Cat stiffeners for a Yamaha......other than that, if only I can make the finances work.......

Just get them from Cat if Yamaha doesn't offer them. You will find Cat to be a lot more interested in making your sled more durable and faster than what Yamaha has offered in the past. For a performance orientated rider, this new Viper is going to offer far more options to taylor the sled to your liking than any Yamaha in recent memory. The more popular the sled the bigger the aftermarket and factory support. Viper riders will be able to use many of the products offered for the Procross sleds.

AKrider said:
When the Nytro came out, Yamaha said over and over that they went with a triple because it was lighter than a twin since it didn't need balance shafts. The procross 1100NA was just about the same weight as a Nytro. I believe the Viper will be lighter than the Nytro. The great thing about the procross is it hides its weight much better than any Yamaha. If you haven't ridden one you must. You simply can't pass judgement without riding one.

We have a few nytros in my garage,one is the xtx 144x1.75 and it does ride and handle a little better than our shorty,but he took my 13 procross lxr turbo for a rip and just could not believe how good it rode and handled compared to his,and mine is boosted up so power wise it is sick compared to his.

This Viper is probably nothing more than a transition sled until Yamaha and Cat figure out how to get completely undressed in public before finally getting into bed together. If it ends up being a great sled and nobody is complaining about blown belts, weight or hyfax issues, the only ones it will bother are the die hard brand loyalists pissed that their favorite sled maker is sleeping with the other. In the meantime, I'm going to be cruising by the dealers on my new Apex for the next few years until the dust settles and they figure out which one will survive.

mx1500 said:
Everyone on this site ahs the right to their own opinion. some people just cant handle others opinion. im not going to ride an arctic cat(viper) wearing my yamaha gear. i dont liek what yamaha did with basically re-badging the cat, and making a few changes. see my personal opinion. yamaha has totally different sleds than cat, polaris or ski-doo. it sounds different, looks different, handles different, and has a totally different powerband than any of them. each and every sled is different for different riding styles, just dont bash the poop out of everyones opinion. cuz every one, like everysled is different
I don't mind what Yamaha has done here one bit; I think it is an interesting deveopment and gives riders more options to suit their riding style...but I agree with you wholeheartedly, everyone is entitled to their point of view. ;)!

And it seems the driveline is not all Yamaha as claimed in the OP:
yamahas said:
I asked the same question on the blog this morning here was the answer:

"It has our clutches belt and new jack-shaft, the rest of the system, chaincase to skid is AC, there are updates and changes from what is on the market today. I will update the specs moving forward..
cheers cr"

The drive train was/is a big question mark for me...
I know its a different chassis but my father T660's chain case leaves a lot to be desired.

Back