• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I called Yamaha

There is a "fix" to get it to start but not prevent it... If it happens to you... You turn the key to on position (do not try an start it) then hold the throttle to atleast half throttle or little more (this releases air build up in air box) count to 3 Mississippi's while holding throttle there ... Now release throttle an turn key to off, then start your sled. Yamaha is aware of the problem, how an why it happens but they are trying to finalize a solution for it. But this will get your sled to start.

Guys you are really helping me out with making a decision aboat buying a different brand of sled next season, i love the red and white viper, and would like to show it off next winter, but will it do any good if it is in shop all the time? i really want to spring order a viper, but information on any updates will probably first come after snow check time, Has any of the magizines that were at snowshoot said anything aboat these issues being corrected or going to be corrected, with all the magizine test riders out there someone has to know something.

rough rider said:
Guys you are really helping me out with making a decision aboat buying a different brand of sled next season, i love the red and white viper, and would like to show it off next winter, but will it do any good if it is in shop all the time? i really want to spring order a viper, but information on any updates will probably first come after snow check time, Has any of the magizines that were at snowshoot said anything aboat these issues being corrected or going to be corrected, with all the magizine test riders out there someone has to know something.

Don't base any of your decision making on what a magazine says about a sled..they all say the same thing every single year. I personally have 2200 problem free miles on my viper with the exception on a blown shock. $100 revalve and rebuild and I'm back riding and sled handles much better now. I do have the hot start issue.. Had it right from day one..I've got used to it and the sled starts for me every time. It is a known issue by most all of the owners and yamaha..all yamaha dealers know it..there will be a fix..just have patience guys, yamaha isn't going to leave you hanging on this. I'm sorry to the OP for his very bad experience with this, would be very frustrating to have my sled not start but I don't foresee it being an issue because I'm familiar with my sled and how it works best in starting and it fires every time.

Yep were told Yamaha is working on it and everyone is overreacting. I hope we see some progress soon. Starting with all who bought 2014 units. How can spend this amount of money on a product after hearing so many issues. I believe its a lack of R&D and a rushed project that lead to a long list of issues. No wonder dealers still have these in the showroom and crates. I am not going to buy a viper when there is a good chance it will be at the dealer more then the 3 weeks out of the year I get to use it. The lack of avail replacement parts and accessories just adds to it. This sled should have never made it to the dealers if they cant do any better than this.

Sure would have hated to spend another year when my apex..especially knowing how much I've enjoyed my viper this year! The hot start issues is most certainly the most well known issue with the sled but I can bet that less than half the vipers out there have the issue. A riding buddy has 4800 miles on his viper and never once had a starting issue. Someone else has a topic having to do with that he switched to LED lights and hasn't had any starting issue since..sounds like there's a good chance it could simply be lack of voltage.

fxnytrortxkid said:
There is a "fix" to get it to start but not prevent it... If it happens to you... You turn the key to on position (do not try an start it) then hold the throttle to atleast half throttle or little more (this releases air build up in air box) count to 3 Mississippi's while holding throttle there ... Now release throttle an turn key to off, then start your sled. Yamaha is aware of the problem, how an why it happens but they are trying to finalize a solution for it. But this will get your sled to start.

Ironically enough this is what I do on our Phazers and have for some time.

It is a good thing to call customer service. But don't be to hard on them. The person I talked to has NOT EVER ridden a sled. She did NOT even know what snow is like. Isn't that crazy.

Any way. Get your dealer involved. They in turn will call a Yamaha Rep.

My dealer tells me they are currently working on a fix. Yamaha will NOT give Artic Cat the fuel mapping for this motor--because Yamaha will be coming out with there own chasis a few years. You would NOT want to give up all your secrets would you?

rough rider said:

I would say if the 15's have the same issues we have had yamaha might as well get out of snowmobiles all together since they won't be able to see out of that black eye. My point is I think the 15's will be good and they know that they better be.

wheel41 said:
It is a good thing to call customer service. But don't be to hard on them. The person I talked to has NOT EVER ridden a sled. She did NOT even know what snow is like. Isn't that crazy.

Any way. Get your dealer involved. They in turn will call a Yamaha Rep.

My dealer tells me they are currently working on a fix. Yamaha will NOT give Artic Cat the fuel mapping for this motor--because Yamaha will be coming out with there own chasis a few years. You would NOT want to give up all your secrets would you?
Your dealer is just as clueless, as the "Yamaha reps" that were quoted last year. That will be an exciting product launch....here is a 10+ year old motor, from a company that last gave you the phazer and the Nytro....a decade ago. oh, and sorry for all the Yamaha faithful we screwed over in the meantime....Nice business plan...

fxnytrortxkid said:

This worked on my buddies 7000 saturday. Instantly started once we followed that procedure. If it makes you all feel better it goes to show the Cats have that curse also.

I read the other day, don't stop your sled with the kill switch. When stopping for fuel or what ever reason to use the key. Something to do with the ecu staying in the wrong mode when using the kill switch. I have never had the hot start issue ever since i installed the turbo and power commander V.

yamyfreak said:
I read the other day, don't stop your sled with the kill switch. When stopping for fuel or what ever reason to use the key. Something to do with the ecu staying in the wrong mode when using the kill switch. I have never had the hot start issue ever since i installed the turbo and power commander V.

I agree I never use the kill switch.

But don't you think that's crazy! I mean 12,000+ dollars and can't use the kill switch?? :o|

cannondale27 said:
fxnytrortxkid said:

This worked on my buddies 7000 saturday. Instantly started once we followed that procedure. If it makes you all feel better it goes to show the Cats have that curse also.
Couldn't get a 7000 started at the Detroit Lakes XC race after it won and had to go through tech, a person that worked on the sled told me the same thing. AC was well aware of the problem months ago.

fxnytrortxkid said:

The RedsSounds like baloney to me.

There is no such thing as air build up in an airbox. Stock Engines suck air.

Not saying the method does not work, but the reason it works as told to you is false IMHO.

coldstarts I use the boot over the exhaust and warm never the kill, forget to turn off the key and you are walking

Back