• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

idle squeal

mooseflyer

Expert
Hi all,
My Venture squeals when I'm sitting at idle, which I assume is the belt. I did a search, and came up with some info. However, most of the info related to a squeal problem with a NEW belt, and the advise was to change shims/washers or ride a few hundred miles and let the problem fix itself.

My situation is slightly different, in that I DON'T have a new belt - I haven't touched the clutch/belt since last year, and I didn't have the problem last year. Why should this pop up now?

Following advice I found while searching, I plan to rub the inside faces of the secondary with a scotch brite pad and wash the belt with some soapy water and give it a good rinse. Any other area I should look at? Again, this is NOT a new belt (it has 1200 miles on it). Thanks!

When is the last time you took your secondary apart? The sliders inside the secondary could be excessively worn, especially if you've never replaced them on your 06 Venture. The spring could be tired as well.

Take the one shim washer out of each of the three screws on the back of the secondary... Your squeel will not come back nor will you notice a performance difference... Both my ventures were quiet out of the box then developed the squeel after a few miles then went away after 1500...

I have the same squeal on my vector! I plan to remove shims from the screws on the back of the secondary also. It even creeps forward a little so I think my belt is a little too high in the secondary which is causing this. Funny thing I don't remember it being this way when I put it away last year.

RSVECTORFREAK said:
I have the same squeal on my vector! I plan to remove shims from the screws on the back of the secondary also. It even creeps forward a little so I think my belt is a little too high in the secondary which is causing this. Funny thing I don't remember it being this way when I put it away last year.

If it is creeping forward it may be a busted spring. The last sled that I had that creeped forward the spring was broke.

RSVECTORFREAK said:

If it is creeping forward it may be a busted spring. The last sled that I had that creeped forward the spring was broke. It would only creep forward on the pavement.

Back