• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I'm Confused??

Maybe it is just "seat of the pants" but I do think my Phazer is snappier with 92 than it is with 87. MPG seems about the same. If I know I am going to be riding hard I go for premium.

E10 is regular 87 gas. Usually, regular is 10% ethanol, mid-grade is 5% and premium is 0% (E10, E5 and E0) unless it's a particular brand (i.e. Petro-Canada) that uses ethanol in all their grades to boost the octane.

I try to avoid it as much as I can as it attracts water/phase separates in the presence of moisture and I also believe that it is the root of 2 strokes blowing up due to a leaner mixture. It has a lower burn rate (burns cooler) and therefore produces less power. Before it was mandated, I saw a difference in mileage between E0 and E10 87 octane where I got consistently lower mileage with E10 in my truck. With smaller engines, the difference may not be noticeable enough but I consider ethanol an evil product for all internal combustion engines. You'll also notice that gas with ethanol does not store as long.

And hold on to your hats because the US gov't is looking at mandating E15! And whatever the US does, we usually follow suit. Boat manufacturers are already warning their customers to stay away from E15 and they already have issues with E10.

pat the rat said:
In 30000 km,not once did i use premium,yes,you can run 87

That could be but apparently northern Ontario is exempt from mandatory ethanol, at least as far as McEwen gas is concerned. Found that out from one of their truck drivers. Only way to be sure is to test the gas for ethanol. This test at BITOG uses a syringe and should be easy to do.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ost1159734

There are also test kits available online.

It will only cut if it detects knock or detonation. If it runs fine on 87, then theoretically it should have full power.

Back