• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

installing OFT steering relocator

BakersRX1

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Nytro XTX
I have a question for all you who have done this ,

I have installed the kit but haven't quit finished yet my question is and it may be just me but my steering feels a little bit
tight after wrench tightening the the steering blocks and tightening down the upper relocator bracket that goes around the
steering shaft.
How tight should the upper relocator bracket be tightened?
i wiped clean the steering shaft to get all the grease off like they say but just want to make sure i have done this right before i put the sled all back together

Also when realigning the skies has anyone had any trouble loosening the nut on the steering relay rod? I found the thread that talks about getting to it , its not getting to it thats the trouble its just so darn tight i don't want to strip the nut with the opened end of my wrench, i put some WD40 on it to see if that would loosen it up

thanks for the Help All

OFT

My OFT works real easy side to side. I think the biggest thing I remember is getting the bottom mount bolts bent just right to get the correct angle. Also make sure you have the bottom mount installed as shown on the directions otherwise it will bind and cause hard steering.

Good luck

Pete

I had a similar issue. After I installed the top post I noticed the steering shaft was binding. Here's what I did. Loosen(don't remove) the bolts attaching the steering gate to the frame indicated as No. 4 on the drawing 4ea. This allowed the OFT top post the "wiggle room" it needed so it was at the same angle as the shaft. I then tightened up the top split block and then tightened up the rest of the hardware. As mentioned make sure you have properly manipulated the bottom mount! Keep all the upper post hardware loose until it's lined up and the split block is tight.

Hope this helps. Scott

Attachments

• 176357_STEERINGGATE (Medium).gif
    176357_STEERINGGATE (Medium).gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 178
Mine was a little tight after install too. I removed the top blocks and bushings and noticed the lower Mount was pushing the steering shaft a little high. With the upper parts removed I pulled down on the handle bars a little until it was resting exactly where it needs to be. Then I reassembled the top Mount parts again and it steered very easy. It all comes down to have the lower Mount bent exactly in the he right place like already said.

Im having the same issue with adjusting the steering. I just put on the relocator recently. Any suggestions?

Did you bend the bottom bracket up as explained in the directions and are the blocks in the proper position, they are slightly angled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed the oft kit last year and it was tight at first too. I bent the bolts on the lower mount and it made no difference. It did loosen up after a bit.
This is just my opinion but why couldn't the bottom billet piece be machined to the correct angle to fit the bracket? I'm tired of fixing Yamaha's issues, shouldn't have to do it with an aftermarket part that's supposed to fix an issue.

Wrt to loosening the nut on the steering relay rod, I had a heck of time and ended up buying/using stubby wrenches. After the fact, I read a post about crows foot wrenches which appear to be the easiest. I've since bought a cheap set from princess auto...wish I had them when I installed the oft relocator.

I have crows feet wrenches......I wish I would of tried that. I got it done but man were those nuts tight!

loosening the steering linkage lock nuts is easy if you unbolt and move the cpu unit and turn the skis all the way to the left to push the linkage forward towards you. A couple min of prep and the task goes easy.

Yeah, that's what I did for a little more room in there. That definitely halps.

Got the hard steering issue solved by beiter01's suggestions wasn't able to that damn lower lock nut loose last winter so rode with the steering a couple degrees of centre . I am going to try getting some of those crows feet wrenches and giving it another try before this riding season

BDX re-locator...no bushings (bearings) and no bending studs...works awesome...just saying. Do a search

radian guy. the bottom studs have to be bent otherwise the bottom aluminum block which is machined to the correct angle wont sit correctly and your shaft will be pointed somewere into the headlights. its not OFT fault the bolts are at the angle they are. its a 10 sec fix and made my steering smooth as butter. if you put the blocks on the bottom w/o the shaft its easy to see if they are bent the correct amount or not. just takes a little more patience than i know most ppl care to give.

Sorry you're not going to sell me on this! It would have been better and made more sense if the block was machined to the same angle as the mount on the sled.
Other than that detail I am pleased with the relocator!

Back