• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Internal horsepower???

jeffT

Pro
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket cam kits or internal mods that will really wake this beast up? other than a $6000 turbo kit that is.
I'm thinking if someone could change the fuel delivery and change the camshafts would give an easy 30-40hp more.

jeff you could checkout nw turbos they are out of montana. they have a plug and play turbo for 4500 with one of the best exhaust manifold set up available to snowmobiliers. no need to spend 8000 on a turbo. mt dream has one on his nytro and is a tester for NW. easy straightforward, no nonsense turbo yields over 200 hp. just a thought. ski

2008 Nytro RTX said:
stopdropanroll said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:
I don't think it would be that easy,If it was I think Yamaha would of done it and made 175hp Nytro at 1049cc

Thats a very untrue statement!
Ok,So show me cams that will get me 175hp and I will buy them tonight!

He obviously never said that just cams would do it. Simply stated that Yamaha would not do it and I happen to agree!

skidooboy said:
jeff you could checkout nw turbos they are out of montana. they have a plug and play turbo for 4500 with one of the best exhaust manifold set up available to snowmobiliers. no need to spend 8000 on a turbo. mt dream has one on his nytro and is a tester for NW. easy straightforward, no nonsense turbo yields over 200 hp. just a thought. ski

Thats great....is it easy to install??? I was considering Skidoo 1200 cause there turbo is $3500 and a piece of cake to install, dont even need to open up the motor ;)!

no4smoke said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:
stopdropanroll said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:
I don't think it would be that easy,If it was I think Yamaha would of done it and made 175hp Nytro at 1049cc

He obviously never said that just cams would do it. Simply stated that Yamaha would not do it and I happen to agree!
Why wouldn't they? They would be making the same HP as a 1000cc two stroke with the same CC. Why not do it?

2008 Nytro RTX said:
no4smoke said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:
stopdropanroll said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:

Why wouldn't they? They would be making the same HP as a 1000cc two stroke with the same CC. Why not do it?

epa regulations. and emmission specifications. ski

Daranello said:
skidooboy said:

Thats great....is it easy to install??? I was considering Skidoo 1200 cause there turbo is $3500 and a piece of cake to install, dont even need to open up the motor ;)!
Just remember that on the Doo 1200 you have to replace the primary clutch with something that wont blow into a million pieces. MCX uses a Comet primary.

skidooboy said:
That's not bad but i was still looking at camshafts and getting the cost under $3000 (which shouldnt be hard to do if you just change the fuel setup and camshafts). Would also be pretty cool to have a sled that "loped" :jump: Now that would be bad #*$&@ as well

Personally i would say that 175 hp from this motor would be quite easy for yamaha but then they would probally come up against reliability issues and long term maintenance.

jeffT said:
I'm thinking if someone could change the fuel delivery and change the camshafts would give an easy 30-40hp more.
If you want to squeeze 160-170 naturally aspirated hp out of this engine you will need a considerable increase in operating rpm.
Not a good idea considering clutch efficency and the 1:1 ratio between engine and clutch rpm...

There's a stroker kit out there from Hauck that gets you in the 170 range. Fundy performance is doing porting and cams in the 165 range.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
There's a stroker kit out there from Hauck that gets you in the 170 range. Fundy performance is doing porting and cams in the 165 range.

Rx1M5
what's the cost? where is it at on their website? To be honest, im not totally sold on hauck's stuff. I think there are better products out there but,......... im not a professional and that is only my opinion.

Back