• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is changing to a 23T top worth the effort

Phazernut

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
04 Viper ER.
96 V-Max 4
Before I get into a major project, I was wondering if changing to a 23T gear really gives that much noticable difference. Seems like a fair amount of work to change it out.

I think it's worth it.
There's not that much work involved.Once you do if once it's a breeze after that.There's enough of us on her ethat could walk you through any questions too well your doing it.

I was thinking about getting it over the summer and doing it in the warmer weather at the same time I'm gonna do the remote oil filter change.

There is a noticeable difference through the bottom and mid range Should be no difference on topend or very minimal Takes about 1 to 2 hrs to swap out. Prob 2 of youv never done it

A benefit, but I didn't notice a big difference. My friends GT stays within a sled length in abot 1,500ft. I have yet to test it on top end, I tried today buy ice wasn't perfect(bumpy) but I did get 112 gps. my previous best was 120 radar(137speedo) with the 24 top on glare smooth ice 1 mile run.
I hope to be able to try it in the next couple weeks if the ice gets smooth again on a local 1 mile lake.

I noticed a definite difference. Not all that hard either. I don't know about top end, I did it for low and mid.
Need good traction.

A buddy of mine has a 2008 Apex which he claims is stock but he's a liar. I've got a Ulmers Stage 2 and an Airbox and 10's. From a slow rolling start (30kph) we're side by side. From a stop I usually take him but from a fast roll (100 kph +) he kills me. What has he done or what should I do. Is that gearing? Or maybe a O/D clutch?

I think I'll give it a go. I also have 192 1.450 studs as well to go in so hookup should not be an issue.

RTX Rox said:
A buddy of mine has a 2008 Apex which he claims is stock but he's a liar. I've got a Ulmers Stage 2 and an Airbox and 10's. From a slow rolling start (30kph) we're side by side. From a stop I usually take him but from a fast roll (100 kph +) he kills me. What has he done or what should I do. Is that gearing? Or maybe a O/D clutch?

When it comes to anything with an engine whether it be Snowmobiles, Bikes, Boats, Cars etc., you will always have some that perform better or worse then others. Some engines may be as close to spec's as possible, almost as if they were blue printed. The timing could be just perfect and the fuel map right on the money, the clutching perfect, crank and cam shaft bearing and wrist pin clearance right on the money, perfect compression, timing right on etc. The engine components could be balanced, everything could be as close to spec as possible and the sled will beat every model like it. Some may be way out of tolerance and not perform well at all. Your buddy may have snuck in some mods that you’re not aware of or he may just have a good running sled.

Phazernut said:
Before I get into a major project, I was wondering if changing to a 23T gear really gives that much noticable difference. Seems like a fair amount of work to change it out.

I have a 24-40, same as 23-38 and it works well in my sled. It’s definitely worth it, go for it. . It's about a 60 minute job and make sure you use Synthetic Gear lube when refilling your chain case, it helps keep the chain case cooler.

Is there any info on here on how to change out the top sprocket. Been looking through the service manual and all I get is more confused.

cool thanks.....now where do I get that 36mm tool...or is a 36mm socket good enough.

Back