• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this what a bent subframe looks like?

sd5500

Expert
If it is then WOW, b/c I can tell you that I never hit a single thing. Not to mention I don't ride very aggressive at all. Shock on Right side is pretty well centered and Left side is not.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 195

Sorry about your misfortune.

It certainly is a symptom...did you take a real close look at the frame? Check the metal plate with the circle cut out of it and see if there is a ripple in the metal there. How about the skis? Is one ski further forward than another? Check the spindles versus each other to see if one is more vertical than the other.

Also, keep an eye on your ski toe in/out, else your ride will get squirrelly. Also, make sure that the tie rods aren't binding.

Take it to the Dealer right away, don't bend things back (a mistake that I did), and they should warranty it.

Oh yeah, add your name to the "Bent Subframe" poll:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=subframe

This is one indication that you have a bent sub. You or your dealer will need to pull the panels to know for sure if it's jacked.

Because other folks have had sub-frames replaced under warranty, I'd let your dealer check it out –especially if there are no impact scars.

The shocks are not perfectly centered in the a-arms in stock form. You need to look closer and compare spindle angles and ski tip alignment. Also check a-arm bushings and ball joints. Each item allows a bit of play which when added up can make the front seem out of alignment. At first clance I think yours looks O.K. but it's hard to tell with out being there in person. If you haven't had a hard hit, slide into a corner and bounce off a tree with the ski or what ever I would say it's unlikely that your's is bent. I've put her through some decent stuff and mine seems fine. One strange off camber landing can do some damage though.

Like LJ 452 said, the shocks are not perfectly centered in stock form (I know that they are little bit off because I cross measured my chassis before I even rode it...). Though, I have to admit that yours looks little bit too off to be within tolerances...
The distance between your left side shock and the backside of the upper A-arm looks a bit smaller than standard. This indicates that something forced your left ski backwards, bending the lower A-arm backwards OR the upper A-arm forward. Check both A-arms and the subframe for visible damage.

I took a pretty good look and I do not see anything bent or rippled. I can say that the Left shock has not looked like that until I just noticed it, and I look at them ALL the time. Man I can't believe how weak these sub frames are. Makes you wonder if the overall design of this chassis is flawed.

My friend look at your A arms in your pics I can even see the upper A arm is ahead of the lower on the bent side. The straight side they are almost parallel to eachother. You have a bent subframe. Take it to the dealer hopefully they warranty it. Don't listen to the "I ride the crap out of mine and its not bent". Even if they do and theirs is not Yours is.

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 146
sd5500 said:
Its really Hard to tell man....... When mine was tweaked i had a ski that was about 4 inches infront of the other although both of my A arms were bent. Sory to change the subject did u ever ride with the stock skis???? how do u like theCurves UBER SORRY ABOUT UR MISFORTUNE IF ITS BENT

Either way, I'm riding it for the rest of the season unless I see it getting worse. It doesn't look that bad, and I might now get it warrantied right now.

I still think its almost impossible to bend the sub frame without any kind of impact at all. 3000 miles plus on my 08 mostly aggressive riding with no sub frame issues. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Alatalo

Alatalo,

Just out of curiosity what measurements did you take and how far out were they from the factory?

I hit a rock under the snow hard enough to bend my wearbar. The front end looked alright afterward, but I thought one shock was a little off from the other. I got home and measured the top a-arm and then the bottom a-arm back to the foot hold on the running board. The top was the exact distance, the bottom was an 1/8 of a inch back from one side to the other. I also took a digital angle finder to the spindle. The outside angles were equal and the front to back angles were off about 1.7 degrees. My dealer told be this was within spec. but I just wondered if it came from the factory that way or I tweaked it.

Thanks
LeeKo

I think your a-arms twisted a bit on the side where the shock sits further back towards the a-arm. Your subframe is probably fine.

Back