• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jackshaft bearing spacer

Paulpolar850

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
I'm in the middle of replacing the bearings on my drive shaft and jackshaft on my 2003 rx1. When I purchased the sled it had a wheel bearing set inside of the jackshaft bearing case on the pto side bearing. I was unaware until I tore it apart, now that I have the new bearing set in its become apparent that I'm missing something...
Fromwhat I've gathered it's a spacer sleeve and nut. I've tried finding this on a microfiche and haven't had any luck, can anyone point me in a direction as to where to find it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Or possibly just a sleeve that goes between the bearing and jackshaft on the pto side to take up the space?

8ed594f8a6051fd55d9e5a97b58978f4.jpg
daef09d937ab2de0783f9462df966b57.jpg

So it is different for the 2003 vs 2004? The 03 has just a shim set and the 2004 and up has the nut set up?

I remember there being some issue with the early models, something coming undone in the jackshaft end with the secondary clutch, and a lock collar was supposed to fix that, or maybe it was the problem, can't remember which.

Okay, shortly after the initial post I ordered all the parts I'm missing from the earlier version. I guess I'll just hope it stays together once I get the parts.

From what I recall, without the new style collar, if you lost your jackshaft bearing, you would blow up your chain case due to misalignment. It was a mid-season update. When you get the new stuff, make sure you tighten that collar nut very tight or it will work it's way loose. Check it frequently. As you tighten it, it disappears into the hole, so it's hard to get a tool on. I take a long screwdriver and smack it tight.

So the early style stuff that I ordered, how do you make sure that is in all the way?

No idea. The right stuff to use is in picture 2 of 3 that you posted earlier. The other setup is flawed and if it fails might cost you a lot more money than just getting the right stuff.

I upgraded to the nut when I did mine and it did come loose once so I'm not sure which is the better set up. I think the nut was added in 2005. In the photos I think the collars are reversed, shouldn't the taper go the other way and the nut goes inboard?

I do plan on doing the nut style next year, but I'd rather run this this year as I've already spent the money on everything I need.
Has anyone ever installed this set up before, I have the bushing about half way in and it's very clear it isn't going any farther.

I have had issues with this collar and nut,when I bought my sled it was loose,so I tightened nut,(was really hard to get channel locks in there,heard shock adjuster works too) found collar was just pulling through bearing.....so long story short,bearing is tapered and find out which way taper is BEFORE pounding in new bearing,collar should slide in till about 3/16 sticking out before its tight and stick out of bearing 1/8 after tight that's why there is a cut out on washer.

Back