• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knockout kit

cheaper, easier to install, and more reliable
1710520957744.jpeg

The only thing the "kockout kit" managed to do for me was knock $60 out of my wallet.
It has failed twice.
I will remove it from the crank, again, and put it on my bench to use as a spacer in my press.
why don't you just install hurricane's quite ring and be done with it

why don't you just install hurricane's quite ring and be done with it
I was hoping the $50 kit would work. It was a gamble I know, and one I lost.
The clutch rattle doesn't bother me enough to spend $329 on the Hurricane quite ring.

Well I only have roughly 40 mi on this but its still in place (no locktite either) . Not sure if I should just remove it or leave it in. I think the rattle Im hearing is my clutch weights as it only happens at idle

Attachments

• SNUB SHAFT.jpeg
    SNUB SHAFT.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I am glad I didn't jump on this right away like some others things I have purchased for mine. It appears that it is just...

snake-oil-snake-oil-cd.jpg

I have had the Hurricane noise reduction shaft on my sled since new with no issues and it is quieter then all the other SWs in our group or any other one I have encountered. One of the bonuses I have noticed with the Hurricane shaft is that my primary clutch and components are not wearing at all and are maintaining like new tolerances.

I haven't got enough miles on as this winter hasn't been good.
I've put this on about 10-12 other machines so far, and positive feed back so far, but again not huge miles.
The logic certainly makes sense in that if there is grease on the splines it will reduce metal to metal contact.
I can't emphasize enough to make sure to properly loctite it in.
Also, don't expect to put it on a worn clutch and have all the noise go away. Won't happen.
Therefore, my only concern will be will the loctite let go with miles and let the ring push out...?
Time will tell.

I have had the Hurricane noise reduction shaft on my sled since new with no issues and it is quieter then all the other SWs in our group or any other one I have encountered. One of the bonuses I have noticed with the Hurricane shaft is that my primary clutch and components are not wearing at all and are maintaining like new tolerances.
I have no doubt that it works Bob, but I just hate adding any weight if I don't have to. It's not cheap either.

I recently had difficulty removing a stub shaft. Once it did come, there was a surprising amount of rust on the splines.
It's really to bad Yamaha hadn't routed an oil passage to feed this area with a steady flow of oil.
If they had, this thread probably wouldn't exist.

I haven't got enough miles on as this winter hasn't been good.
I've put this on about 10-12 other machines so far, and positive feed back so far, but again not huge miles.
The logic certainly makes sense in that if there is grease on the splines it will reduce metal to metal contact.
I can't emphasize enough to make sure to properly loctite it in.
Also, don't expect to put it on a worn clutch and have all the noise go away. Won't happen.
Therefore, my only concern will be will the loctite let go with miles and let the ring push out...?
Time will tell.
ya wish they would have said to locktite it in the instructions. Mine pressed in and there’s no way I can see to get it out being a blind hole.
In my case the clutch is a pro 4 billet with low miles so nothing is worn. The belt clearance adjustment on the clutch is adjusted in to proper belt to clutch clearance which drives the sheaves together which makes clearance between the weights and rollers until it starts to engage. I believe that is the rattling I’m hearing at idle. If I back the adjuster out it opens and the weights touch the rollers and there’s no rattling

Last edited:
I recently had difficulty removing a stub shaft. Once it did come, there was a surprising amount of rust on the splines.
It's really to bad Yamaha hadn't routed an oil passage to feed this area with a steady flow of oil.
If they had, this thread probably wouldn't exist.

If the noise is coming from the interference fit of the splines, I would be concerned about aeration of any oil moving through there. For the price of the noise reduction ring I think a PB80 might be a good choice for a lot of guys running stock to moderately tuned sleds.

If the noise is coming from the interference fit of the splines, I would be concerned about aeration of any oil moving through there. For the price of the noise reduction ring I think a PB80 might be a good choice for a lot of guys running stock to moderately tuned sleds.
But there isn't any oil running through there.

It's physics - balance/harmonics/resonance. Unlike the "Knockout kit", what you're running actually changes (in a favorable way) the harmonics at play with the primary.

Back