• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LED Headlights

I just got my sled last year and the lights are brighter than the OEM lights. They have a bluish tint to them. Is there any chance that they are HID's and if so how would I tell ?

Great question. The blue tint would lead you to believe that it is aftermarket. It could be just a third party lamp. But an HID, you can tell by taking the shrouds off. The wires from the back of the lamps will need to run to ballasts, and they will be boxes about the dimension of a pack of "american" cigarettes, only half as thick.

There will be one ballast per lamp burried within 10" or so from the back of the lamp depending on the kit installed. If you just see factory wiring to the factory harness, then someone changed the lamps only. None of the factory lamps should have a blue tint to them.

Sorry about my last post. I didn't notic
Great question. The blue tint would lead you to believe that it is aftermarket. It could be just a third party lamp. But an HID, you can tell by taking the shrouds off. The wires from the back of the lamps will need to run to ballasts, and they will be boxes about the dimension of a pack of "american" cigarettes, only half as thick.

There will be one ballast per lamp burried within 10" or so from the back of the lamp depending on the kit installed. If you just see factory wiring to the factory harness, then someone changed the lamps only. None of the factory lamps should have a blue tint to them.

Okay that makes sense. If I remember correctly there are no other wires in that area. I guess that that is another option for someone who wants better lighting without spending much money. They can buy better bulbs which will help over stock, but wont be as good as HID. It will be somewhere in the middle I guess. Thanx for the advice.

There are lots of opinions on third party options. And a quick search will show a number of "lamp-only" options for more light. And even in this thread, you will find opinions on the temperature (color) of HID's that are better or worse.

It's all a matter of opinion. I thought about a couple lamp-only options, but the gain was minimal. So I never did it. Then purchased a used sled with Sledstart HID's installed. It was amazing the difference over stock. That made it much easier to justify it for my daughters sled, and my new Apex. It takes more than a lamp to produce more light. But a different lamp can help. It's a minimal investment to test if you care to try, but I think a search of the site will give you some answers.

Light quality is relative, and hard to verbalize, so doing it may be the only way to experience it and then justify the cost.

on the whole blue tint one in our group got a new headlight pod after a dissagreement with a gate and the chrome around the bulbs was a shade of blue on his new pod. just a thought. most after market bulbs that produce more light draw more watts and extra strain on the stator. also they wear out faster then oem as well and the price of them is almost half the cost of a set of sled start hids that will out last any standard bulb and draw less power from the sled as well. just get the darn things you will thank us.

I just got my sled last year and the lights are brighter than the OEM lights. They have a bluish tint to them. Is there any chance that they are HID's and if so how would I tell ?

sounds like my sleds. i put in xenon stock style bulbs in all my sleds. i favor the yellowish tint ones but the blue ones are good as well. hoping for a set of rocks hid once he gets some time to send my my other set.

sounds like my sleds. i put in xenon stock style bulbs in all my sleds. i favor the yellowish tint ones but the blue ones are good as well. hoping for a set of rocks hid once he gets some time to send my my other set.

I bet your right on and the xenon bulbs are what's in my sled. They a seem better than stock, but maybe I'll upgrade to HID someday. You can never have too much light, right ? :)

If you are going to spend 30-50 bucks on a pair of "super bulbs" you can get HIDs from ddm (been around for years) or ebay (take your chances) for the same money.

Sure a $200.00+ set should be better - and if you can afford it go for it.

The first two "high dollar" sets I bought - one was from Yamaha the other was sylvania - failed within two years. Both sets were replaced by sets from ddm and they are still going strong after 5 years. I could get 5 sets from ddm for the same money as a single set from sylvania at the time. Most sets regardless of the name on the box come from china. Ask your vendor if they are made in china or elsewhere.

Regardless of what brand you pick, they are worth the money and effort to install and way better than a "bulb upgrade".

HID's aren't just good at night, they make day riding safer as well. You can see them from a mile away and the light is just "unnatural" for a lack of better term - because they are so out of place in the woods, they really stand out.

Back