• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Long time no see!!

Irv

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 40th Anniversary Vector.
1995 XLT SP (Son's)
It's been a while but hopefully I am back for good?
Last year, with my son playing Rep hockey and the lack of snow around these parts, neither sled even got fired up.
My son decided to go back to house league this year so hopefully the weather co-operates as we will definitely have more time this year. (Rep hockey is crazy busy!!)

Anyways, after a long sleep, 18-19 months, I put my battery back in and buttoned everything up but get no dash lights or anything when I turn the key on?
The motor will crank (haven't added gas yet to fire it) but nothing on my dash?
I did the hold down the thumb warmer/turn the key on trick and everything lit up like usual?
After I did that I figured problem solved as I figured it was just due to lack of use, but turning the key on, as to start it, I get nothing?

I have Yamaheaters so I turned it on and got the red light right away so I know that is working?
Seems very odd to me I get power to the dash doing the thumb warmer trick but nothing when I just turn the key on?

I am not an electrical guy by any stretch so any info would be great.

Thanks............Irv

Attachments

• Walker's Rep A Hockey pic (Large).jpg
    Walker's Rep A Hockey pic (Large).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 87

Welcome back Irv! The display doesn't normally light up unless the sled is actually running I believe. You still have the 2008, right? When I turn my key on there is nothing until the sled starts.

Nothing will come on on the Vector unless it is running or you do the handle bar thing. Not sure about the injected 1049 but the carbed sleds have no dash till you start it. Sounds like nothing wrong.

What they said. Nothing came alive on my Vector until it fired up. Always screwed my up if I was on the Attak and then went to the Vector. I would look for the tach sweep on the Vector and when it didn't move I would start to worry.
Then I would remember it was the Vector not the Attak. :o|

I remember when I helped out coaching with my two boys in league hockey on separate teams. 2 practises a week for each kid and then all weekend long in arenas. Never got lucky that their teams would play in the same town.
And if that wasn't enough I spent a couple of weekends upgrading/maintaining my coaching levels as they got older. If it wasn't for a buddy that could sled during the week day with me I probably would have shelved the sport for those years.
Oh, the stuff we do for our kids..........:eek:

Its good to see you back.;)!

Well, this is embarrassing!! Go away for a while, miss a year sledding and forget how my machine works! :oops:

As soon as I read the first post, it struck me. Of course it doesn't light up, that is why we do the thumb/key trick!! DOH!

Thanks guys, and thanks for going easy on me and not calling me any names! lol ;)!

It's good to be back!

Permits are on and my sled fired right up after pressurizing the gas tank. It took quite a few cranks and took quite a while to warm up before I could give it any gas to spin the track. I was afraid of fouling a plug(s) but got lucky.

10-15 cm's of snow beginning this morning around 10 am. Looking like a good start to the season, as long as we don't get the rain they say come Monday morning as it warms up a bit.

Curious, anything special you guys would do if your sled sat for almost 2 yrs? I put the sled away all summerized/looked after/cleaned , etc, so I am not too worried about anything, but would like to hear if I am missing something? The oil/filter was changed when I summerized almost 2 years ago so I am not too concerned about those either, but being anal, I am curious if I should change it out again just to be sure?

I would change the oil. 2yrs is a long time for oil to just sit in the crankcase, I would also do the gear oil.
Check all the bearings. Even if you repacked them before allowing the machine to sit. Humid air and steel still fight with each other.

I would change the oil. 2yrs is a long time for oil to just sit in the crankcase, I would also do the gear oil.
Check all the bearings. Even if you repacked them before allowing the machine to sit. Humid air and steel still fight with each other.

I hear ya, Steiner, but the oil/filter was brand new when I stored it in the spring of 2015. I only briefly ran the sled to circulate the oil and to check the level. I never fired it once until this past week-end. (It is stored, like always, in my garage year round)
Not saying you are wrong as I may change it to alleviate my OCD, but it is clean as a whistle and has zero odor to it. It is also Synthetic, Mobil-1 0W-40, European formula.

I am going to educate myself further before I decide to or not?

Appreciate your reply.

Last edited:

Back