• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Low boost Apex

Thanks guys for the info. I'll contact you Dave if I decide to go with a 2871 :)

powder muncher said:
Who is interested in a low boost Apex kit?

Small turbo 6 to 8 pounds of boost around 200 HP no engine mods no intercooler stock fuel pump and injectors and rb3 controller.
The aim is stock bottom end response with sustained 200 hp to altitude.

I did some pricing , it should come in just under $4000 and the installation time should be between 4 and 8 hours depending one proficiency with a wrench.

I have looked around for 2 years now and none of the regular turbo shops are interested to do a basic low boost kit for the apex.

If there is enough interest I will have a low production run of a very basic kit done for next fall.

I know that all the regular turbo guys are going to cry but this product just does not exist and there is 0 interest by any of them to do this ( I did approach them --- They all try to sell me $7000 kits and turn down the boost).
So if you are interested please let me know. If I get 20 guys together it will make sense do do it . I will have the Headers and Intake manifolds build by a reputable shop --- Not reinventing the wheel there all the rest is of the shelf items.
If you have any Ideas or comments please PM me.
If any of the Turbo Guys are reconsidering and will build this for us I will put my money down right now.
I sent a PM and got no response so i will try it here. I have a Yam-Charger and i am satisfied with the power gain/dollar but of course a little more power with out the risk's would be nice. What i have learned though is going much higher than two lb of boost you start increasing charge air temp's and that brings on detonation even with good fuel. When the first Turbo kit's came out for the RX there was a couple low boost kit's with out cooler's that were being tried but they never took off for some reason. A friend of mine built his own kit with no cooler for his RX and ran it at five lb with 91 octane fuel and by 3,500 mi it was sucking oil and had cylinder's egg shaped from detonation, This is probably why the other Turbo guy's still want to run the full system with cooler. My question is do you have a plan for lowering charge air temp's? kviper

rxrider said:
Thanks guys for the info. I'll contact you Dave if I decide to go with a 2871 :)

I put a 2871 w/0.64 housing on this year, I didnt notice anymore lag, seems to pull much harder through the mid to top end. Feels smoother too.

kviper said:
powder muncher said:
Who is interested in a low boost Apex kit?

Small turbo 6 to 8 pounds of boost around 200 HP no engine mods no intercooler stock fuel pump and injectors and rb3 controller.
The aim is stock bottom end response with sustained 200 hp to altitude.

I did some pricing , it should come in just under $4000 and the installation time should be between 4 and 8 hours depending one proficiency with a wrench.

I have looked around for 2 years now and none of the regular turbo shops are interested to do a basic low boost kit for the apex.

If there is enough interest I will have a low production run of a very basic kit done for next fall.

I know that all the regular turbo guys are going to cry but this product just does not exist and there is 0 interest by any of them to do this ( I did approach them --- They all try to sell me $7000 kits and turn down the boost).
So if you are interested please let me know. If I get 20 guys together it will make sense do do it . I will have the Headers and Intake manifolds build by a reputable shop --- Not reinventing the wheel there all the rest is of the shelf items.
If you have any Ideas or comments please PM me.
If any of the Turbo Guys are reconsidering and will build this for us I will put my money down right now.
I sent a PM and got no response so i will try it here. I have a Yam-Charger and i am satisfied with the power gain/dollar but of course a little more power with out the risk's would be nice. What i have learned though is going much higher than two lb of boost you start increasing charge air temp's and that brings on detonation even with good fuel. When the first Turbo kit's came out for the RX there was a couple low boost kit's with out cooler's that were being tried but they never took off for some reason. A friend of mine built his own kit with no cooler for his RX and ran it at five lb with 91 octane fuel and by 3,500 mi it was sucking oil and had cylinder's egg shaped from detonation, This is probably why the other Turbo guy's still want to run the full system with cooler. My question is do you have a plan for lowering charge air temp's? kviper

Did send you a PM

With 6 to 10 pounds of boost a intercooler is more of a restriction in flow than benefit with cooling.
Charge temps become a real issue at high boost below 10 pounds it is a none issue. Obviously MCX agrees with me on that , they do not use one on there 180 hp Nytro kit. I have over 6000 k on my RX1 without a intercooler running as high as 18 pounds on Av gas without any problems.
Good Gas is way more important than a intercooler
At 18 pounds on long pulls I use alcohol for cooling.
This is a mood point at low boost.

powder muncher said:
With 6 to 10 pounds of boost a intercooler is more of a restriction in flow than benefit with cooling.
Charge temps become a real issue at high boost below 10 pounds it is a none issue. Obviously MCX agrees with me on that , they do not use one on there 180 hp Nytro kit. I have over 6000 k on my RX1 without a intercooler running as high as 18 pounds on Av gas without any problems.
Good Gas is way more important than a intercooler
At 18 pounds on long pulls I use alcohol for cooling.
This is a mood point at low boost.
I disagree on your intercooler restriction opinion. If an Apex intercooler is sized correctly, then it shouldn't be a restriction for a kit designed to run under 10 psi.
And charge temp will be an issue, especially at anything above 5 psi boost on a stock motor at lower elevations with stock fuel pump on pump gas for WOT blasts longer then a few seconds. This also due to the fact you'll likely be using a smaller turbo to get your low end response too, because the RB3 can only help so much with this.
It does add cost to the kit, no arguement, but still always going to be better then nothing when it comes to reliability with varying fuel quality in different regions.

I do think there is a market for a low cost low boost Apex kit (hence the YamaCharger), so I am not intending to discourage you AT ALL so don't take this the wrong way, but what is the point of having to run high octane AV or race gas in a "low boost" turbo kit?
Words like "Race or AV gas" and "low boost turbo kit" shouldn't even be used in the same topic... when all I hear is demand for pump gas, pump gas, pump gas...
Most who are willing to burn Race or AV fuel (or propane) do so because they are running bigger boost & HP, not just to compensate for lack of an adaquate intake charge cooling. Low boost kits should not be on the ragged edge that rely on fuel like that.
For 99% of buyers, who would even consider a low boost setup, would only because they are looking for something low cost & trail friendly with the ability to run pump gas due to fuel cost and availability when racking 200+ miles a day, etc... so you'd want to target that customer base.
Of course, water meth injection is a viable option but that adds cost and complexity too...

If you are looking to market, what most consider to be a true bolt-on low boost kit, and are targeting low cost as well, (because if not, then once again what is the point...) then using MCX kits as a reason not to run an intercooler is a conflicting example because they are not, by any means, low cost.
There are other low boost pump gas kits out there (with intercoolers and the ability to turn up the boost) that are very comparable to MCX's ability for a lot less $$$.

Cutting corners on components to keep cost down is never a winning plan. The kit has to be affordable AND reliable, or it can easily be more expensive in the long run...

Just my $0.02

You are on the right track.

Low boost Apex kits

Well we only built one rear mount and it seem to work very well right from the time we turn the key.
We are looking at low boost and all new kits for Apex's with even a full race kit that get's it done.
It's time to make something new that works better then all the old kits out there for easyer install and better fit and finish.
Will keep you guys posted with the latest.
http://www.powderlites.com
250-836-4422

Attachments

• IMGP1543a.jpg
    IMGP1543a.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 90
on my RX i am running 10# with no intercooler and a 16g mitsu turbo, not a huge turbo, but its barely working at 10#... lots of guys run em in cars in the high teens an 20's. I only run 91 shimmed at 4k and up. seems to be working awsome... I just feel like if your goal isnt huge power on 91... there are better options then cooling the air, a properly sized turbo should really barely be heating the air at those boost levels if done right, obviously you always get some, but the benefits of an intercooler are less as there mounting on sleds also makes them less then ideal for efficiency.

Both of you have good points here. At 6 pounds ( sea level ) with proper sized turbo there is little issue with heat( Just My Opinion and experience over the last 3 seasons running one with 0 Problems) . On the rear mount set up like Dave is showing the charge tube alone will reduce intake temps Better than the real poorly vented Intercoolers used on most Apex kits.. The Av Gas would only come into play if someone would want to up the boost to 10 pounds without head shim. There is always someone who will want to do this.

Sounds like a good option for guys wanting to have a boost in power without a bomb to the wallet!
Just keep in mind - If you are putting the feelers out for perspective buyers, thats ok, but be ready to talk to Mr Sled about advertising on the site if you intend to sell here. Its only fair to give back to the site that offers so many prospective customers in one spot!
Have to keep the paying vendors (and the boss) happy.
Thx

Back