• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LTX Guys - Check your limiter straps

SnoNinja

aka "Plan B"
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX-LE
2016 Vector LE For my Bride
2007 Phazer GT, 136" Stretch.
2002 SXR600 (still own)
1997 SX600 (sold)
1997 XT500 (sold)
2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000XRS
2006 Dodge Charger RT - Top Banana Daytona
I just pulled my skid to swap tracks and noticed damage to both limiter straps. The damage lines up with the drive nubs on the track. Must be enough track slap allowing the drive nubs to hit the limiters tearing them. Take at look at yours as you do not want your limiter straps to break........

I have 2800 mile on the sled.

Not sure if this effects RTX, but they share a similar skid.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nothing on my Rtx like new yet. Are the guides on the sides of the arm worn? They should keep track off the straps. You can see in your pic track wasn't hitting on shock mounts. That is twice as tall as straps. Only thing I can think of is strap is curling upward when suspension is compressed and hitting then. Maybe a larger washer would help keep it down?

Nothing on my Rtx like new yet. Are the guides on the sides of the arm worn? They should keep track off the straps. You can see in your pic track wasn't hitting on shock mounts. That is twice as tall as straps. Only thing I can think of is strap is curling upward when suspension is compressed and hitting then. Maybe a larger washer would help keep it down?
Yes, guides are worn. You can see a flat spot the size of a quarter on the top. I agree that the top of the straps is flexing upward. The adjustment holes in the strap allow the drive cogs on the track to catch the strap tearing it between the holes. I run my limiter all the way out. If you don't run it all the way out, the holes are in a different position in relation to the top of the arm. The Phazer and Nytro have metal guards to prevent the strap from deflecting into the track.

I may try to install the new ones in reverse so the adjustment holes aren't over the top of the swing arm. That way when the track hits the straps there will be a smooth surface rather than one full of holes down the center.

Looking carefully at mine it looks to me like the holes are just the weak spot. Stretches there and starts to fray. Will take some pics. Definitely need to watch this since if they go shock goes too. We know where we run them. Maybe hole less straps would be worthwhile

I am in second hole. Last hole doesn't put hardly any tension on shock after straps have stretched so didn't want to chance shock ripping itself apart if it acts like limiter. That is real common to have happen. Anyhow you can see the hole on tube is stretched almost double size. Now it was run in last hole for 2 seasons. Maybe just sucking it in one hole helps. It's barely noticeable ride or transfer wise at least after straps have stretched
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I tightened mine one hole, 3300 miles and still looks new.

If you look at my photos, you can see where the drive cogs on the track have been rubbing on the limiter. You can see it in both photos, but the second one shows it best. Even with the straps damaged and stretched, I sill had quit a bit of load on the shock.

Talking with Yamahaguys, the XTX has the wire guards that prevent the limiter from deflecting up into the track. Wonder why they don't think the RTX and LTX need them....

I'm thinking straps deflect up under heavy compression, and the track cogs eventually catch the edge of the hole gradually making the strap tear. Running in the last hole would allow more strap length increasing the likelihood of contact.

Will have to keep an eye on it next year and see if it comes back.

Yes I reported this 2 yrs ago and if you have the added power of a turbo be prepared!

View attachment 118376
I recall your post, but that is a different problem. Damage that I am referring to is on the top of the arm where its much harder to see with the skid in. I didn't notice it until I pulled the skid. Maybe a dental mirror and flashlight could be use without pulling the skid, but something to watch for.

Back