• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler that doesn't require a tune?

TheFarm845

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder LTX LE
Hey guys, are there any safe options for a good muffler that doesn't require a tune? It'd be nice to shed a few pounds and have a nicer tone to the sled, but I also don't want to void warranty by having to tune the sled. Looking at a Sandale 3" trail muffler, but I think that requires a tune? Thanks

Almost every muffler requires a tune especially the 3 inch sandale. Be careful. Stock lower hp tunes from Hurricane or TD 225-250 hp range are pretty flawless. Not much worry about problems. My Powertrail tune has been flawless for 3 years now.

Almost every muffler requires a tune especially the 3 inch sandale. Be careful. Stock lower hp tunes from Hurricane or TD 225-250 hp range are pretty flawless. Not much worry about problems. My Powertrail tune has been flawless for 3 years now.
What muffler do you have? Does it drone bad? That's another concern of mine, I've had some big exhausts on diesel trucks over the years and some droned so bad, I could hardly stand it

A mild tune and a performance muffler from TD or Hurricane would be a good choice if your looking for some more sound. I know its a tune but they are very reasonable and give you some 'tone". I like the performance mufflers as I can get at the chain adjuster bolt and shed many pounds.. Running TD tune with Turbo force 2.5.. I would consider this to be slightly loud.. Very close and or over sound level laws depending what state or area. Nice tone though

you can run the hurricane mufflers trail or mountain with out a tune. Dave told me that personally. I’m not sure I’d do but that’s what he claims

The trail doesn’t shed that much weight

Not a lot of difference in sound level between the two, I have both in service with tunes

They sound real good but are louder than stock

Stock almost sounds like an electric car to me

Hurricane has one muffler that does not require a tune. This is the only one out there that has been dyno tested and confirmed to not need a tune, but know that its sound is loud and gets even louder when the packing burns out. I think he calls it a mountain muffler now. Its a Hindle core muffler. It wont overboost and go lean like all the other mufflers that do require a tune, the reason is because of the way the flange is designed on it.

Can't believe a guy would want a sled to be louder just because. Any muffler designed for more power is plain and simply going to be louder.

you can run the hurricane mufflers trail or mountain with out a tune. Dave told me that personally. I’m not sure I’d do but that’s what he claims

The trail doesn’t shed that much weight

Not a lot of difference in sound level between the two, I have both in service with tunes

They sound real good but are louder than stock

Stock almost sounds like an electric car to me
David emailed me back on the 3" trail muffler and said it needs a tune

David emailed me back on the 3" trail muffler and said it needs a tune

Yes, the 3" absolutely need a tune. The Mountain lite exhaust does not. That was his first and only one that didn't require a tune.

I don’t find it any louder than his trail muffler, not his 3”. Like I said I have both running on sleds

It is louder than stock and sound sweet

But “loud “ is a personal thing

I find it odd that it can be run without a tune yet his trail can’t be but who am I to question the experts

I don’t find it any louder than his trail muffler, not his 3”. Like I said I have both running on sleds

It is louder than stock and sound sweet

But “loud “ is a personal thing

I find it odd that it can be run without a tune yet his trail can’t be but who am I to question the experts

Different flange on them. The flange on the Mountain can is what makes the difference.

Typically performance mufflers will overboost and run lean on the stock engine tune.

Looks like MBRP, GGB, and SSI all have trail exhausts that don't require tunes. Have any of you guys used any of those mufflers? I have a SSI can on my 2018 ZR8000 and the quality is top notch

Your asking for trouble....like knapp said " it will over boost and run lean". It's easy to say no tune needed but ask them about there warranty on a $5,000. crate motor if you have a problem.

Anyone looking to buy a muffler only to save weight should have a few less big macs. On a 600lb plus sled, a few pounds on the exhaust can does not mean a whole lot. If they ever build a pure 9000 series mountain sled with the single rail on the ascender platform, the weight difference may be worth looking at.

Anyone looking to buy a muffler only to save weight should have a few less big macs. On a 600lb plus sled, a few pounds on the exhaust can does not mean a whole lot. If they ever build a pure 9000 series mountain sled with the single rail on the ascender platform, the weight difference may be worth looking at.
I also mentioned sound. And an extra 10-20hp wouldn't hurt. Just sayin

Back