• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Phazer Burnt to a pile of ashes this weekend

Brent_P said:
P1310012.jpg

how do you think the internal motor parts held up? as in the upper chaincase area? do you think its toast?

i dont see any yellow snow, if it were me and there was 6 guys id be peein like a motherfer.

phaze5 said:
how do you think the internal motor parts held up? as in the upper chaincase area? do you think its toast?

i dont see any yellow snow, if it were me and there was 6 guys id be peein like a motherfer.

I plan to tow it out of the hills this weekend and break it down to see what is salvageable, with any luck the motor is in good shape... pistons, rings, connecting rods, crank, chaincase... pretty much anything not aluminum im hoping will be in good shape and will be going up for sale. I have a number of things going up for sale for sale which I had recently removed from the sled and replaced with new. Check the classifieds for more info.

Currently I have the following for sale, more to follow:
White Ski Loops
Yamaha MTX cover
Stock Rear Shock
Stock Rear Torsion Spring
FBomb Better Boards (brand new never installed)
Silver OEM rear idler wheels
Tool Kit
Rear plastic storage box and all hardware

Oh Man I feel for you! That REALLY sucks! It is too bad that the dealer that did your install is not trying to help you out at all.

i actually had a fire under my hood last season, it wasn't even close to being as severe as I am still riding my phazer, what happened to me was the brake caliper had ceased, anyways when it locked up the binder wasn't quite all the way closed so the engine could easily power through it with all the torque these things put out, anyways the wireing harness was replaced as well as the calipers and rotors, yami also gave me a new battery and relay box. there is still disticnt signs of a fire under my hood but all is funtioning 2000kms later.... anyways i had a legitimate mechanical failure so i got warranteed almost right away. sorry to here that you wont be getting the same treatment. in anycase the breather for the gas tank you asked about runs down the clutch side just infront of the left hand running board....should be far enough away from any heat source to cause any problems.

Any chance you recently had an oil change?

Bummer! I'm familiar with the gut wrenching feeling you must have. I almost burned mine to the ground. Per the service manual I removed the weep hole bolt near the exhaust manifold to verify oil pressure after I changed the oil. Well oil got all over the insulation that is part of the exhaust heat shields. Even though I cleaned everything up good it still caught on fire just idling in the garage. Fire extinguisher didn't work for me either - luckily the garden hose was still hooked up and I was able to get the panels off quick. The even funnier thing is the heat shields are on back order. I wonder if they are the culprit? Why else would they be on backorder? The flames shooting out from my sled were exactly as you describe.

I have to say that this whole thing scares the crap out of me. My Phazer has caught fire 3 times and is running soooo hot that the fuel is expanding and trying to vent thru the overflow line... The temperature light has only ever come on once.

We have re-routed the fuel lines and the fire issue seems to be solved. Although, I did roll it on myself this weekend and my foot was trapped under the track. The sled was tipped to the left and running because I couldnt get to the kill switch when fire came out the tailpipe... Fire #4! I have been thru one tank bag and a pair of snowpants so far... what else do I need to worry about???

This is the 5th incidence of Phazer-fire I have read on the internet forums. Although, I have to say, yours is the most serious I have seen. It just makes me wonder if there is a bigger, unseen issue? We were at our local Yammie dealership and there was an '07 T'Phazer there for sale with the identical scorch marks on the left plastic panel that mine has... maybe this is why it is for sale???

I am currently re-reading my insurance policy. I too have a turbo, so I won't be expecting any help from Yamaha if the issue persists...

If you learn anything more about the cause(s) of your fire, we Phazer owners would love to know of any preventative steps we might take to avoid the same fate...

Good luck :)

YamaMamma said:
I have to say that this whole thing scares the crap out of me. My Phazer has caught fire 3 times and is running soooo hot that the fuel is expanding and trying to vent thru the overflow line... The temperature light has only ever come on once.

We have re-routed the fuel lines and the fire issue seems to be solved. Although, I did roll it on myself this weekend and my foot was trapped under the track. The sled was tipped to the left and running because I couldnt get to the kill switch when fire came out the tailpipe... Fire #4! I have been thru one tank bag and a pair of snowpants so far... what else do I need to worry about???

This is the 5th incidence of Phazer-fire I have read on the internet forums. Although, I have to say, yours is the most serious I have seen. It just makes me wonder if there is a bigger, unseen issue? We were at our local Yammie dealership and there was an '07 T'Phazer there for sale with the identical scorch marks on the left plastic panel that mine has... maybe this is why it is for sale???

I am currently re-reading my insurance policy. I too have a turbo, so I won't be expecting any help from Yamaha if the issue persists...

If you learn anything more about the cause(s) of your fire, we Phazer owners would love to know of any preventative steps we might take to avoid the same fate...

Good luck :)

So which fire number are you waiting for? Seems silly to talk of being so scared, but yet talk of all the fires you are seeing with your Phazer? Pictures would be nice?

sounds like a turbo specific problem to me. imho the tighter engine compartment leads to dangerous line routing. its kind of silly to blame anything related to these fires on yamaha or you're dealers. the ones you all need to be going after are the turbo manufacturers. but that's just me thinking out loud sorry if it offends anyone.

Back