• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need help with my first blown belt ever

kidastra

Pro
Well as the subject implies I blew a belt during a WOT lake run, thread/yarn everywhere! took about 45 minutes to just get the yarn untangled from the clutches.

Few questions I'm hoping I can get help with.

1. why does this happen?
2. is it normal for it to happen on occasion?
3. my brp buddies (I'm the only yammy) tell me I need to adjust for a new belt, no clue what he means. I assume it has to do with my next question.
4. never adjusted or understood alignment and belt deflection, could someone give me a dummy proof "how to"
5. what should I look for after this blown belt (damages)

Thanks

Most of the time when a belt blows like that its due to heat. Remove both clutch's and wash them with hot soapy water like dawn dish soap and wash the new belt too. Blow dry the clutch's and let the belt air dry in the house. After putting the new belt on ride the sled slower for the first few miles.

Check the matel plate that covers the coolant hose to see if its loose.

What model sled and how many miles are on it and the former belt?

thank Apex06 I had to install the spare on the lake, was afraid to go fast after that cause I was 50km from my trailer, other end of town. I know i'll need to clean out the clutch just cause I'm 80% sure there is yarn inside still
Journeyman, I knew I forgot something. 07 Attak GT, 5000km no idea age of the belt, rode 2 short seasons with it (maybe 1500km) but I bought the sled used and didn't change the belt, checked it in December no cracks or signs of age have done about 800km since december

Chances are you just got an old worn belt to hot, out making hard passes on the lake. I have had 13 of the Yamaha 4-stroke sleds over the years and have only had 1 belt failure out of all of them. And it wasn't even on my Supercharged sled. Was on a 2005 2-up venture. Clean it up, put on a new belt and you should be good for many years. Have a great winter.

You can put in a vent kit on clutch side panel, i just cut in 2 oval fogzskin kit on my kids nytro, he was having belt failures, after the install no more blown belts.

Way over thinking this. Old belts on high speed runs do this, just very rarely with Yamis clutching. Get the threads out, ride and enjoy now if it happens soon again the check alignment etc

Yamadoo

One thing nobody has mentioned as yet, check your primary sheaves for grooves about halfway or more up the faces.....this happens frequently when people tend to cruise at one speed all the time. 8DN belts are a very hard compound and can wear these grooves in clutch faces......you can have them reground or if not too bad some emery cloth and a flat edge can clean them up.

Wonder how I might know this????

kidastra said:
figured I was, but having my brp buddies telling me I need to adjust my clutches now had me worried

Actually, your BRP bud's were not necessarily steering you wrong.

If your new belt squeals on take off you will need to adjust the secondary. If it doesn't you are good to go after cleaning up the mess.

Riceburner said:
kidastra said:
figured I was, but having my brp buddies telling me I need to adjust my clutches now had me worried

Actually, your BRP bud's were not necessarily steering you wrong.

If your new belt squeals on take off you will need to adjust the secondary. If it doesn't you are good to go after cleaning up the mess.

I only noticed the squeal when I let off the throttle

You better check the adjustment screws on the back of the secondary. I believe there are three of them. They get worn on the tips and if left too long they can ruin the threads when you try and remove them. I left mine too long and they messed up the threads. Luckily the threads were still good enough.

You adjust the belt height by adding or subtracting washers behind these bolts/screws. This helps eliminate the dreaded belt squeel.

I also remove the belt and start the sled. CAREFULLY use a green Scotchbrite pad and clean the surface of the primary. I wash the belt with Simple Green or similar product. Scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad and let dry.

Sounds like you just got full wear out of your belt. Old belts and high speed runs usually end this way.

thinksnow said:
You better check the adjustment screws on the back of the secondary. I believe there are three of them. They get worn on the tips and if left too long they can ruin the threads when you try and remove them. I left mine too long and they messed up the threads. Luckily the threads were still good enough.

You adjust the belt height by adding or subtracting washers behind these bolts/screws. This helps eliminate the dreaded belt squeel.

I also remove the belt and start the sled. CAREFULLY use a green Scotchbrite pad and clean the surface of the primary. I wash the belt with Simple Green or similar product. Scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad and let dry.

Sounds like you just got full wear out of your belt. Old belts and high speed runs usually end this way.

is that what belt deflection is?

thinksnow said:
I also remove the belt and start the sled. CAREFULLY use a green Scotchbrite pad and clean the surface of the primary.

Seriously?? What DE FAWK??

You sir are gonna be known as "Leftie" in your town, as your right one will be plucked from your wrist after that clutch grabs it & won't let go until it's done. If your lucky, it will only be your hand too.

Darwin factor X10 with you. :drink:

Back