• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need help with shimming skis

vicman

Extreme
I have a 2006 Apex RTX and the front of the carbides are completly worn out already!!! The back 3/4 of the carbide is still perfect???? is there something that is wrong or somthing i can do to shim the ski so it sits flat again?

Hey vicman,

If you have the Yamaha skis you will need to use a 1/4 shim to start with,

Anything that is hard will work..

I shimed both the 08 apex and the 10 apexltx. I found the 08 with woodys duallys are really grabbing hold of the trail, feels locked right in, steering effort a tad heavier, not bad though, and turns real well at most speeds and conditions. On the 2010 I still feel a bit of unsureness(likely not a word) on corners, especially in some slop. It is much easier to turn than the other but I still found it made an improvement overall,should wear more even if nothing else, oh and this sled has woodys slim jims, not sure if that matters much or not.

Thanks for the help guys. Will shim them tonight. And FYI i have never had any luck with the search on this site. I dont think asking for an answer to a question you cant find the answer to is an issue but maybe thats just me.

In your case where you are getting wear to the front of the ski, you need to shim the front of the ski rubber, not the back like usual. In Apex if it's that bad, shim at least 1/4 inch of maybe 5/16th's of in t he front of the mounting rubber......

If you don't believe me, pm Viper Dave or get ahold of Bergstron.......

Super Sled said:
In your case where you are getting wear to the front of the ski, you need to shim the front of the ski rubber, not the back like usual. In Apex if it's that bad, shim at least 1/4 inch of maybe 5/16th's of in t he front of the mounting rubber......

Hey are you sure? Wouldn't shimming the front tilt the ski even more forward? shimming the back would raise the front.

apex55 said:
Super Sled said:

Hey are you sure? Wouldn't shimming the front tilt the ski even more forward? shimming the back would raise the front.
I was thinking the same, but didn't want to accuse anyone of mis-information without support. The shimming under the rear rubber lifted the front of my carbides a little higer off the ground.

Bergstrom told me some apex really wear down the front of Carbides bad. On those ones, he recs shimming the fronts of the rubbers -- only for Apex's/ Attaks. That's what he said. I know Viper Dave shims his Apex's skis on the front of the rubbers on his skis.

But I'm in your camp and I prefer to shim the rear. I have Simmons and they are shimmed 1/4" in the rear and yes, that makes the fronts stick up more. I can't explain Bergstrom's logic any better.

Just passing on what I remember being told by Bergstrom last summer in my 2 hour long "tutorial", with topic such as "ski dynamics over snow", "how to properly move snow with your snowmobile's skis", and of course "the lost art of shimming"....

No intentions of negligently leading anybody astray at all!

Back