• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need help with tors code 84

jremps

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
08 Nytro 40th anniversary
hey guys,
I did a 370km run last weekend. Trails were smooth for the most part but got rough in the afternoon. On the last 100km my tors started acting up. Didn't matter what speed i slowed down from, when i was off the throttle the code would come on and coming to a stop the sled wanted to stall or hunt for idle. Once i got going again it went away and the sled ran good on throttle. Now in the garage i have checked my cable which is not obstructed in any way and is routed like factory. I have 4.3mm of play in the cable at the throttle. When i run the sled in the shop at idle the code and engine light is on and it idles very rough. If i hold the throttle so that it idles up a bit but does not engage the clutch (pretty much taking the slack out of the throttle cable and engaging the tors switch) the code goes away and the sled runs fine, but as soon as i let off the throttle the code comes right back. I've tried adjusting the the cable for more slack but that didn't make a difference. Is it possible my throttle bodies are dirty and not fully returning to closed when i'm off throttle? Could it be my throttle cable? There is some play at the engine side of the cable where the cable plastic covering meets the metal adjusting part of the cable. I wonder if something shook loose on the rough trail. I've checked the electrical connectors by the headlight and they are all in perfect condition.
Sorry for the long explanation, any help would be appreciated

I believe the TORS. switch is on the pivot point of the throttle. Did the throttle get rotated if the ruff stuff . Something hitting on that ?

The throttle is a bit loose on the handle bars but it doesn't matter the position the code stays on until I physically move the throttle to engage the tors switch

Code 84 is tors related, but the tps sounds like it's on the way out even though you don't have code 15, I had code 84 flash on my vk pro, I checked everything to spec and changed my t.p.s and problem gone, even though I didn't have the 15, in the venture lite and multi purpose section there is a list of fault codes and possible things to check for. hope this helps! but I would definitely go through the whole list of possible causes before replacing the t.p.s as they can be costly! cheers!

I think you have to tighten up your throttle cable. Over 4mm is too much. The free play should be 2-3mm.

thanks for the reply's,
I'll adjust the freeplay tighter although it says in my owners manual between 3-4mm so i don't think i'm far off

just an update,
I went thru the freeplay again, set it to factory specs, tightened my thottle on the handlebars so it would not move. The code was there before i tightened the throttle on the bars. When i did tighten it i also checked some of the ground connectors on the passenger side above the throttle body by the radiator. There are 4-5 connectors there. i inspected those and wiggled them a bit. Turned the key and code was gone. Put 400km on this weekend with no problems. Not sure if it is a ground issue or not. I had an issue with one of those connectors earlier in the year when the sled had multiple codes and backfired while trying to start.
Has anyone done anything different with these connectors? i have heard and seen some cut the connectors off and solder the wires together for a solid connection

Attachments

• IMAG1277.jpg
    IMAG1277.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 344
I would look at rerouting the wiring harness to give some slack in the wiring harness when turning the bars. Those connectors are usually a sob to get apart! hard wiring them in will fix that problem, but will lead to a problem somewhere else! Just a suggestion!

Bypass it. I finally had enough of mine giving fits at random times. There is a connector inside engine bay that you just have to hook them together. It's been talked about on here before. I wouldn't do this without a tether installed and being used.

jremps, I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my 08 Phazer RTX. I'm wondering if the wire/ground issue was a permanent fix or did the problem reoccur?
Thanks,

There is a ground block TSB out there. I heard about it and talked to my dealer and he just handed me the kit. It replaces the original one which has too many grounds tied into it and eventually melts.

Yes sir! Just the Phasers Doc. Sanctioned drag race this weekend on Cold Lake. Come check it out.
Maybe I'll let you try my turbo kitty...........:rolleyes:

I am on call this weekend or maybe we would ride out. The Meadow Lake Park has decent (not awesome) snow. If my buddies ever caught me riding a cat I would never hear the end of it lol.

Back