• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New bearing loose

thetruck454

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
In the middle of doing all the bearings for the first time at 12k miles and the last one is the jackshaft bearing pressed in the frame/bulkhead. I knocked out the old bearing and it feels as tight as can be, but the new one rattles slightly when you shake it. Think I got a bad one?

Makes you wonder if the bearing was ever pre-greased as they will rattle without any grease. I'd almost be inclinded to every so gently lift up the seal and inspect unless you're able to return/exchange.

It's not a sealed bearing. The side to the bulkhead has a separate oil seal pressed in the housing and the side towards the chain case is open to get the chaincase oil on it.

My bad, I was thinking of the bearing on the other side; not one within the chain case. I would think if the bearing is OEM or equivalent with the same fit and tolerances, then maybe it is a bad one.

Could be the brand. I go with NTN on the important less accessible bearings. And I also always add more synthetic grease as they are usually cheap with the initial fill.

OEM bearing should be a Koyo, although I have used plenty of NTN’s in that location over the years with no issues.

Back