• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to Yamaha

Sledhunter

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I just came back from Lake Geneva where I was able to look over the new Sidewinder. I am currently riding another brand which I will keep to myself in all fairness to my question. I am strictly a trail rider and ditch banger. I am a short track fan but with that amount of HP I am looking at the L-TX LE model. What are some thoughts and options on this machine as well as Yamaha in general? I would greatly appreciate your input.

You may want to grab yourself a tall drink and a snack and head on over to the Viper and Sidewinder forums.
Lots of good reading over there. I would first start in the Viper forums.
The Sidewinder is the same chassis as the Viper and seeing that no on has seat time on a Sidewinder the Viper is the best comparison.
Read lots first and then formulate your well educated questions.
Have fun.;)!

I was riding another brand for about 12yrs (suppossovly #1 sled) before riding Yamaha now for around 5yrs. The difference imo is that the ride, handling, and overall feel of the Yamaha snowmachiene is night and day better. Also at the end end of a ride be it one day or four days there's much less fatigue. And the repairs are hands down almost non existent. Overall my experience has been much better than any other other "brand". But like said above read up on them this site is #1 and there's a lot of info here.

I will comment on the LTX track I feel it is an improvement over the 121
I have a Vector LTX and will never go back to the short track.
Now on the Viper/Sidewinder I don't know if the 129 is enough to make a difference or not.

137 all the way. Rides better and you will need the additional track to hook up that much HP. If you are a ditch banger the se or the le is what you are looking for. I chose the le because of the better center shock.

i would say most important variable is shock package ....qs3 is good,qs3r better but has been said too stiff. float3 are bad choice imo. regular coil over ok for trail but not ditchbanging. 137 inch better but 129 with better track could be good

Personally I feel with the extra power you will be making it harder to make a corner with longer track. I am not a fan of the 137-141-144+ tracks on trail as they feel sluggish in corners. If you just wanna cruise down trails and then maybe a bit in the fields in powder and straight line through ditches you'll be ok. Just feel wig the power the longer track and extra speed you might try to corner with you will be regretting longer track.

There's a good read over in the dootalk General forum about a guy that's been riding Doo's for years. Switched from an XRS to a Cat 800 (same chassis as Viper). Liked the procross better. It's a great non biased review.

The sidewinder will be heavier than a 800 2S but in most trail situation the power will mask the weight.

I like riding aggressive trails as well. And to be honest I still haven't found anything that goes through the bumps better than a well setup Nytro. That being said I haven't spent much time on a Axis.

sledhunter, I would check the nachos specials in your area and get ready to start reading......

Personally I feel with the extra power you will be making it harder to make a corner with longer track. I am not a fan of the 137-141-144+ tracks on trail as they feel sluggish in corners. If you just wanna cruise down trails and then maybe a bit in the fields in powder and straight line through ditches you'll be ok. Just feel wig the power the longer track and extra speed you might try to corner with you will be regretting longer track.

I would not be to hasty in that assumption. There are many of out here riding the 141" as trail burners and I can say they handle just as well and the track length is not noticeable at all. And with the power of the sidewinder at 204 planting that will best be done with a few additions to the uncoupled XTX suspension.

This one is just playing with a guy riding a Polaris ProS 800 flat out as fast as he could. I am barely in the throttle and did not want to piss him off

This one I am riding with a group of 9 guys all 10 or more years younger than me and they are on everything from Rev 800's to nytros and old style polaris

Then when it finally snows you don't need no stinkin trails on the XTX it will go through anything

If track length were like privacy fences, you want to get the biggest one . Grande!
BTW yamadog, nice ride!

Last edited:
Size does matter. Track length is like a diamond ring, the bigger the better. Don't you agree, Sledhunter

Back