• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nitro Hand Warmer fix

Installed the RSI warmers and grips last night. So far so good. It was about 15 degrees and I had the heaters on 2 bars and my hands were HOT!!! My buddy is a Doo tech and we put them on in his shop.

The only thing we have done different is put the Doo cork wrap on the bars and put the heater elements over top of them. The cork on the bars was Doos fix for thier hand warmer issue on the new XPs last year.....Yamaha isn't the only one with hand warmer issues! When we finished with my XTX, we put the same RSI warmers and grips on his 09 XR Gade to see if he can cure his frozen hand syndrome. :moon:

I put on a pair of the PowerMadd handlebar muffs and they certainly do work. Access to the bars is pretty open and now I actually have to turn them down. They do fit over the handguards, but very snug. For those that have them (or planning on getting them), and find it difficult to install, slip the elastic straps around the handguards first, and then pull the muff inward and slip the handguard into the inner pocket. This is opposite of what they say in the directions, but worked for me.

I don't want to mess with my existing hand warmer setup just yet, as I'm still holding onto some hope that Yamaha will provide a fix/update, however that hope is fading.

Longnecker said:
Guys if you sit on the sled with your hands on the bars you will notice that the air travels under the hand guards and into your fingers.

If you swap hand guards, putting the LH left on the right side and RH right on the left side, the protection is much better to the fingers and the grips feel warmer.

Longnecker

I tried this simple tip and found it very effective. Not only did it improve the warmers but also reduced the need for them. It cost me nothing and took about 10 minutes to do. No side effects, no "down" side, just improved comfort for my hands and the ability to wear lighter gloves. Bye, bye gauntlets. Thanks!

Stewart

Installed the RSI's this past weekend.... Ahhhh warm hands at last. I really don't care what all the "potenital" issues are with running the blue and red wires together. I think it is all a bunch over cautious theory actually. Have you seen the guage of the wires in question, I am fairly certain that the guage of wire used to conduct the current to the grips would melt away long before any real damage occured to a substantial mechanical part.

My two cents. If I didn't do the RSI fix, or similar, I would have sold the sled. Having good handwarmers on a sled, not to mention $11k sled, is about as integral and important to the sport as making sure a four wheeler could get dirty.

Back