• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro fuel tank size?

How much does/did the Nyrto's fuel tank size affect your decision to buy?

• 1. It NEEDS a larger tank before I would buy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. The small tank SUCKS but I love the sled so maybe?

• 3. I would LIKE a larger tank but I would/did still buy it.

• 4. The tank size is FINE and not an issue for me.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 5. I think the tank needs to be SMALLER.

• Total voters

GYTRules!!!

Extreme
This seems to be a pretty big issue so I am curious as to just how much this could/did affect the sales of the Nytro especially now that Yamaha is marketing this sled to a much larger demographic?

80 ponies said:
I am only getting around 40-50 miles per tank. 100 miles as of 2-night. Hope it gets better.
That's about 6 MPG. That's not normal at all! I would definatly take it back to the dealer to see what's up.

The tank needs to be smaller!! I cant believe no one lurking from the other site to pick that one!! lol

:drink: :drink:

I have the short-track standard FX Nytro. After a day of riding in 2-3 feet of powder, I get approximately 60 miles per tank. After a day or riding hardpack trails, I get approximately 90-100 miles per tank. The sled has about 500 miles on it.

I am perfectly fine with the size tank it has :)

no4smoke said:
The tank needs to be smaller!! I cant believe no one lurking from the other site to pick that one!! lol

:drink: :drink:
LOL. I had to give those boys something to pick to be completely fair but honestly the impression I'm getting from a lot of them is that this might just be THE sled if it weren't for a couple minor issues, like...the fuel tank!!!

acesfan05 said:
I have the short-track standard FX Nytro. After a day of riding in 2-3 feet of powder, I get approximately 60 miles per tank. After a day or riding hardpack trails, I get approximately 90-100 miles per tank. The sled has about 500 miles on it.

I am perfectly fine with the size tank it has :)
That's a variance of approximately 5 MPG depending on conditions...WOW! My apex will vary about 1-2 MPG going from lots of hammering to cruising with the wife. This much of a variance would play heavily on my mind while riding far from fuel.

Our trips usually consist of riding 20-30 miles of ungroomed trails the we climb thousands of feet to get to the powder and mountains to climb, and 20-30 miles of flat out wide open throttle in the deep powder and climbing.

I can probably get 70-75 miles on a tank with this riding type. So its never been an issue for me and I have a ski-doo jerry can on the back anyway which gives me 3 more gallons.

Most I talked to are getting from 13-14 mpg.

90-100 miles range

Looking for gas at 75-90 miles.

Thats crazy in this day and age!!!

:o|

BR

Wow, I had no idea the range on these could be that short! 70 miles is roughly half a tank for me and I wouldn't mind a little more just for the added range/security. I voted for #2 but after hearing about how far these will go under fairly normal riding conditions I would like to change my vote to #1 because that just would not work for me...at all!!!

If I were Yamaha looking at the results of this poll so far I would be very concerned if not totally alarmed at the percentage of potential customers this is hindering from buying or at least affecting their decision to buy this machine. As of right now with 57 total votes 33% would NOT buy this sled due to the insufficient fuel tank. That represents 1/3 of what I would consider serious potential buyers! If you add to that the people that are having a real hard time deciding because of the small tank it rises to 52%. So that means over half of the potential buyers either would NOT buy this machine or have a SERIOUS problem with the lack of range this machine offers! Now add the 28% who would LIKE a larger tank and that’s 80% of the best Yamaha people on the Net :rocks: that would at the very least PREFER a larger tank! This SMALL tank is a BIG issue.

I am looking real hard at the X-TX for next year but that tank size is keeping from making the change back to Yamaha. I would think that the longer track X-TX would get less MPG than the RTX. I've been very please with the crossover type sleds and would love one with a 4-stroke from Yamaha...If Doo puts that 1200 in a Renegade it could be the deciding factor even though i don't want to be a BRP tester again. I really don't want a 10 gallon tank to make up my mind...Knowing in certain conditions i may only get 80 miles per tank will have me nervous all day and and would hope that i never get lost on the trails either..I like a security blanket...Yamaha, give us a larger tank and i'm buying!!

IMO, Yamaha missed the mark on this sled because of the small tank.

I voted #1, but in all honesty I could consider buying one if I could pick up a large aftermarket tank combined with a large tourbuddy tank before the sled even hit the snow.

It is a ridiculous screw up for Yamaha when you consider how many potential sales they are missing out on because of the tiny gas tank.

With the crossover and mountain sleds especially, Yamaha should have a huge tank as well as Yamaha accessory fuel storage that we can buy. For anyone looking at using the Nytro as a long distance trail sled they also need that same large fuel storage.

Hopefully with Yamaha's next sled they'll smarten up and include a really big tank.

I know many Apex owners are happy with the fuel range with their sleds, but really the Apex needs a bigger tank also. Right now the REV-XP 800R will travel a lot farther when trail riding than an Apex on a tank. It has both a larger tank and gets better fuel economy.

Yamaha's idea that using a small tank will make the sled "seem" lighter is out of touch with what the market really wants (we do want lighter, but not at the sacrifice of fuel range - heck we can always fill a tank 1/2 full to keep the weight down if we wanted to).

ReX said:

Hopefully with Yamaha's next sled they'll smarten up and include a really big tank.

Yamaha's idea that using a small tank will make the sled "seem" lighter is out of touch with what the market really wants (we do want lighter, but not at the sacrifice of fuel range - heck we can always fill a tank 1/2 full to keep the weight down if we wanted to).

I hope they dont think we are that stupid that they hoped to win the wet weight challenge so we would buy their products. This is the sled I wanted and was looking forward to snow checking for next year! I just will not do it without the correct size tank. Its almost time for my new truck but you can bet your #*$&@ that if it only comes with a fifteen gallon tank it will not be in my garage! :o| :o|

no4smoke said:
ReX said:

I hope they dont think we are that stupid that they hoped to win the wet weight challenge so we would buy their products. This is the sled I wanted and was looking forward to snow checking for next year! I just will not do it without the correct size tank. Its almost time for my new truck but you can bet your #*$&@ that if it only comes with a fifteen gallon tank it will not be in my garage! :o| :o|
I think you guys nailed the real reason why they did this and IMO it's just plain MADNESS!!! Maybye the Doo camp really is "getting to" Yamaha. I sure hope not but the signs are there. :o| If they would just listen to more of us (their customers and fans) and less of them (the haters) Yamaha truley would be in a class of it's own. :-o

We purchased a Nytro MTX mid January, and I'm not sure what the big deal is about the smaller fuel tank is, at least for mountain riding. My wife rides the MTX and I ride a AC 800 1M with a 151. The MTX has way more range than the 800 does. Why carry extra weight you do not need. When your high marking, you usually try and shed as much weight as possible anyways. I'm talking jerry cans, hoods, seats.

Back