• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro fuel tank size?

How much does/did the Nyrto's fuel tank size affect your decision to buy?

• 1. It NEEDS a larger tank before I would buy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. The small tank SUCKS but I love the sled so maybe?

• 3. I would LIKE a larger tank but I would/did still buy it.

• 4. The tank size is FINE and not an issue for me.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 5. I think the tank needs to be SMALLER.

• Total voters

Yamahnator said:
I keep hearing this "you're paying 10k for this sled you shouldn't need..." blah blah blah. You know what, if you're paying that much then you should be making your purchase knowing that you're going to want to customize it, because the sled comes like it is for the AVERAGE rider, NOT FOR YOU. I could whine and moan about the stock ski's, because they suck donkey imo. I don't, because no matter what the make, I would buy aggressive ski's. I go into the purchase knowing that. Like tourers go into the purchase knowing they will need to buy their saddlebags, or people who like deeper lug tracks instead of studs buying their tracks. It would mean that for the last several years I should make a myriad of posts about risers, because they never make a post that's tall enough for me. Or if I had a Doo, that I had to buy knee pads cause the riding position it forces you in is harder on the knees without them. You could go on and on. The name of the game is customization of YOUR sled. The manufacturer will never make a sled that you are 100% happy with. That's just part of sledding and something that people can't seem to get their minds around.

GYTRules!!! said:
Yamahnator, there is a fundamental difference between your opinion and the other opinions (that apparently you can't see). You are being critical of the people DOING the "complaining" (this is how bickering starts and how these threads go to hell) while the others are being critical of the issue CAUSING the "complaining" (this helps keep "complaining" to a minimum because things actually get resolved). Get it???

GYTRules!!! said:
What I am really trying to understand is why do some people that don't have a problem with the small tank take offense to the people that would like and/or need a larger tank.

I'm 100% certian you will never understand what I am seeing/saying so let's agree to disagree!:jack:

COLDONE said:
Has anyone installed the aftermarket tank yet?

How are they?

BR

I'm guessing you are talking about the 10 gallon tank. They are due to be available Feb 18th I believe, and I am guessing there is now a waiting list.

I installed a tour buddy and it works great.

I accepted the fact that I would need a solution to the small tank when I purchased my sled. It was just one of those things you need to factor in when you make a purchase.

However, I do believe that I was led to believe through Yamaha's promotional material that I could expect a range of 100 plus miles on a 28 litre tank. I believe that this expectation is overly optimistic for the most part.

To date I have installed a tour buddy and I will consider adding the aftermarket 10 gallon tank. I'll first see how I make out the rest of this season.

I'm in Newfoundland Canada and the majority of time the next chance to get gas is when I get back home, so it's kind of bring what you need or go home early.

If I knew then what I know now, I would still buy the Nytro.

i have 530 miles on my nytro 40th mtx and still only get 10-11 mpg. so i have to pack gas on every ride. I do not see how poeple are getting better milage. i will buy a bigger tank once i can order one. i do not mind packing gas when going on a long ride or when we get a lot of new snow. When i'm on a trail ride i should be able go with out packing gas need to have a min. of a 85 mile range and the range mean you can get to the truck with out running out of gas or the low gas lite on.
:yam:
I love the sled and would not trade it for anything but need bigger tank.

Also if Yamaha wants us to pack gas then they should not put a warning label on the tunnel that say do not put any weight on this. :o|

I can somewhat understand Yamaha puting the smaller tank on the shorty FX Nytros. As it was designed, it is an the edge of acceptable range for trail riding on the big groomed trails in Canada. I say this because in my experience that is where available gas seems to be the furthest apart. However, I'm not sure those are the trails Yamaha had in mind when designing the Nytro. I think Yamaha had trails like you encounter in the Tug Hill Area of NY. Those trails get abused at times and if you like to ride those trails hard, the FX Nytro shorty may be the perfect sled for you as it was designed. Surely you would have opportunity to get gas within 75 miles without too much burden. I have never ridden in that area, so if I'm wrong let me know. If that was the end of the story, then kudos to Yamaha sticking to their design criteria.

BUT, that is not where the story ends. Yamaha offered the same FX Nytro in a mountain sled version to be ridden in deep snow where gas usage is significantly higher. This is where Yamaha's design of a trail sled being made into a Mtn. sled. IMHO, "Yamaha's Twin Peaks" philosophy that Chris talks about on his blog on Yamaha Talk is their philosphy, they need to add a third peak for the crossover/mountain deep snow sled category. Those sleds certainly have different design requirements especially fuel capacity.

So in a rare case, everyone's opinion is correct and valid because you ride your sled where you ride your sled and how you ride it. IMHO Yamaha made a mistake in that they are trying to take a sled that was designed to perform in one arena and try to make it fit in all arenas.

This one is on Yamaha. They would never set out to design a mountain sled with such little fuel capacity, but yet they made one with the FX Nytro MTN. They need to add capacity and my guess it will be done in 2010. What benefit does anybody get by having a smaller gas tank?

GYTRules!!! said:
Yamahnator said:
I keep hearing this "you're paying 10k for this sled you shouldn't need..." blah blah blah. You know what, if you're paying that much then you should be making your purchase knowing that you're going to want to customize it, because the sled comes like it is for the AVERAGE rider, NOT FOR YOU. I could whine and moan about the stock ski's, because they suck donkey imo. I don't, because no matter what the make, I would buy aggressive ski's. I go into the purchase knowing that. Like tourers go into the purchase knowing they will need to buy their saddlebags, or people who like deeper lug tracks instead of studs buying their tracks. It would mean that for the last several years I should make a myriad of posts about risers, because they never make a post that's tall enough for me. Or if I had a Doo, that I had to buy knee pads cause the riding position it forces you in is harder on the knees without them. You could go on and on. The name of the game is customization of YOUR sled. The manufacturer will never make a sled that you are 100% happy with. That's just part of sledding and something that people can't seem to get their minds around.

GYTRules!!! said:
Yamahnator, there is a fundamental difference between your opinion and the other opinions (that apparently you can't see). You are being critical of the people DOING the "complaining" (this is how bickering starts and how these threads go to hell) while the others are being critical of the issue CAUSING the "complaining" (this helps keep "complaining" to a minimum because things actually get resolved). Get it???

GYTRules!!! said:
What I am really trying to understand is why do some people that don't have a problem with the small tank take offense to the people that would like and/or need a larger tank.

I'm 100% certian you will never understand what I am seeing/saying so let's agree to disagree!:jack:

So because I said that one should go into any sled purchase knowing that there will be things they want to customize (which by the way I'm not the only one in this thread saying that), I'm now telling people not to complain? Does logic work different in PA?

Anyway I guess we do agree to disagree. And that's fine. Next time put in the header that you only want one certain opinion though ;)!

I responded to this thread as a mountain rider to voice my opinion on the tank size issue. Personally I ride the Rocky Mountains of south western Alberta and south eastern British Columbia pretty much exclusively, with occasional trips to places such as Revelstoke B.C. I can fully understand why a trail rider would in general want to carry as much fuel as possible, but there are aftermarket accessories for carrying extra fuel. (ie: tour buddy)
From my personal experience, a 40 to 50 mile day in the mountains is a big one and as I mentioned before it is all about the range and whom you are riding with.
I remember riding with one group which was comprised mainly of Ski Doo’s and they had more range than I did, so I carried a jerry can, then I had a lot more range then they had, but the kicker was they would not carry jerry cans for fear of bending the tunnel. This was a no win situation.
The Nytro MTX is a really well balanced sled, for not being a sled developed exclusively for mountain use like some of the other manufacturers do and I would personally hate for Yamaha to screw up the sled balance by adding a couple of extra gallons of fuel. On a personal note, I would like to see them address some other items on the mountain sleds long before they worry about the fuel tank size issue, such as lack of storage on the sled, weak running boards, a better all round track for varying snow conditions, clean up the rear skid area (there is to much stuff back there for snow to collect on), port the track, bigger rear wheels in the rear skid frame, ditch the sway bar, etc.

I'm of the strong opinion that Yamaha screwed up with using a 7.4 gal tank. I'd need to research the blog, but the milage estimates they had for the Nytro have proven to be optomistic. I've not been able to get even 100 miles out of a tank.

Seems like some guys get all bent out of shape because they feel their manhood is threatened or something since they ride slow and get better mpg and feel like they need to defend the 7.4 gal tank. Had Yamaha put a 10 gallon on like they did on their previous 1000cc sleds this discussion wouldn't even be taking place. If you don't want the added weight of extra gas, then don't put it in your tank to begin with. But, don't penialize those of us who don't ride on groomed trail systems where gas stations are convienently located.

I agree with the view that the 7.4 gal tank is simply to bring down the wet weight of the Nytro, nothing more. Thing is, even the new injected 2-strokers with big tanks are getting the same or better range than a Nytro. The 7.4 is a step backwards and it appears they are blindly heading into '09 with the same mistake.

Personally, I hope it costs them some sales to the new 4 stroke Ski-Doo. I'm not happy about having to fork out another $300+ for an aftermarket tank just so Yamaha marketing guys can play weight games. I'll add that to my bill for better quality a-arm bushings and ball joints.

As far as the short tracks go I get an honest 14.5+ on a pretty regular basis. I was concerned on my first few rides but I'm O.K. now with the 7.4 gallon tank.

Just for reference here is a comparison between My friends Dragon 700 vs My Nytro on the same run.

Dragon ran 98 miles and put in 9.7 gallons.
Nytro ran 97 miles and put in 6.7 gallons.

I had considered buying the 10 gallon aftermarket tank at the beginning of the season but I don't think I'm going to waste the money now. I start looking for gas between the 80-90 miles mark on My trip odometer. There isn't a gas gap that big in Michigan. i'm going to assume for you Canada and Alaska riders that is cutting it too close or just won't make it for some of the spans you guys ride.

supermans got it 3 gallons less but both are mt. i rode one this weekend with some slow trail riders,like 35 mph, got 22 per gallon. it was better than the vector that was with. granted that was the longest lasting 240 miles i went in along time and hopefully not again :o| for a long time.

Back