• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Suspension- Need help getting a softer ride

As like some other bought the sled to ride ditches and rough back trails, I a have owned all snowcross sled before this and was thinking after the first ride that what i should have got. The center shock is waaay to soft for me , looking for a spring as we speak, the front was really good. Trying to get the REV twichyness out of this and not to be scared of this . I can really notice the weight of the sled. With that being said I do not uassally comment on these topics but sit back and read, but so far after 250 miles not very happy. Love the motor and 4 stoke but not sure what to do. Going to try different skis and se what happens. About thr stiffness, I do not beleive you can have your cake and eat it too. Do my own shocks for 20 years now and try to get them soft on small and not to bottom on big pretty tough.

ROD

I've ridden with 82srx500 pretty much from the day we got our snowmobile safety certifcate at age 12. I can tell you that he is one of the most agressive and proficient riders on the trail. His RTX has gotten considerably better in terms of handling over the course of the last week due to a lot of help and input from lots of folks, but its not where he wants it yet. He's pretty frustrated with it, and that's pretty unusual for a guy with blue blood and Yamaha underwear. I think that gormleyflyer2002 said it best that the Apex and/or sit down guys might be better off on well, an Apex. I just found it pretty unusual for Yamaha to deliver a sled that was so poorly set up out of the box--that thing was borderline unrideable if not dangerous for trail riding as delivered from the dealer.

MrSled said:
This is just an FYI but some of the Nytro have been coming set either way on the hard side or like mine way on the bottom end of the soft side. I would suggest pulling your manual out and set everything in the standard settings and ride it. Then fine tune from there. It made a world of difference for me. I hated the sled when 1 st started riding it and now its awesome.... Floats are set at 50lbs.

Also when setting you floats the sled front has to be hanging to set and check pressure.

I could not agree more Mr. Sled...the first 200 miles I was thinking of ditching my FX Nytro at the end of the year instead of my Apex...completely rethunk that!! After applying gormleyflyer2002's set-up ideas, I was amazed how much I like this sled... EXACTLY what I love about this site :rocks:

bluetoysguy said:
I've ridden with 82srx500 pretty much from the day we got our snowmobile safety certifcate at age 12. I can tell you that he is one of the most agressive and proficient riders on the trail. His RTX has gotten considerably better in terms of handling over the course of the last week due to a lot of help and input from lots of folks, but its not where he wants it yet. He's pretty frustrated with it, and that's pretty unusual for a guy with blue blood and Yamaha underwear. I think that gormleyflyer2002 said it best that the Apex and/or sit down guys might be better off on well, an Apex. I just found it pretty unusual for Yamaha to deliver a sled that was so poorly set up out of the box--that thing was borderline unrideable if not dangerous for trail riding as delivered from the dealer.

EXCELLENT response bluetoysguy...like you read my mind...I agree with your comments wholeheartedly...

I will say though, being a "sit down riding Apex guy" that I now LOVE my RTX with gormelyflyer2002's set-up recommendations...

Sounds like too much high speed dampening and too little low speed dampening from the shocks. Why can't Yammi just mimic the valving specs from any late-model torsion sprung REV, Poo, Cat...

I think, before selling and giving up, I would see what competitive sled / suspension system you think rides good and matches your riding style, then have a local shock guy simply revalve your shocks to those specs. I might be way off base, but it seems to me a $150 service charge (revalve + new oil in the rear shocks) might be the only thing standing between you and happiness with your new sled.

[/code]

Metallicat said:
Sounds like too much high speed dampening and too little low speed dampening from the shocks. Why can't Yammi just mimic the valving specs from any late-model torsion sprung REV, Poo, Cat...

I think, before selling and giving up, I would see what competitive sled / suspension system you think rides good and matches your riding style, then have a local shock guy simply revalve your shocks to those specs. I might be way off base, but it seems to me a $150 service charge (revalve + new oil in the rear shocks) might be the only thing standing between you and happiness with your new sled.

[/code]

I've been out playing wih my RTX on some tight twisty bumpy trails today and the author of this thread does have an point. I take back what I said before. It does ride like an brick through the Tight twisties at slow speeds, Previously I had been only riding this on straight fast trails, some smooth some beat up, where it worked great and rails nicely especially with both straps pulled in two.

I think it is more Yammie just not knowing how to build an progressive Suspension. The first third of the travel is very stiff, before softening up. Cruising it's very stiff, but get on the gas and go through the first bit of travel and it's quite compliant. However in tight twisty bumpy trails that means you'll become very friendly with an lot of trees real quick.

I would suggest that if Yammie wants to Copy someone they should look at Cat. I have an 07 F1000 Sno-Pro and the rear end woks so much better than the RTX. Almost bottomless, as good at high speed, but far superior at low speed, very progressive.

I rode Both Sleds back to back over the same Junk trail in the last 24 hours. Now only if I could get an Yammie 4 EFI Stroke in that Cat chasis...

BTW the Nytro is handling really nice at high speeds, it's an lot of fun, just not the best at low speeds in the tight twisties.

Metallicat said:

[/code]
you mean it could be that simple? where would I get those specs?

Dont know what magic u are talking about. My REV800 bottomed like crazy with 440 snowcrosssprings and everything set on STIFF! And my friends Mach Z 1000 was eaven worse... Although the small stuff was smooth they couldnt be set up for taking any big ones..

Well, I am not an expert when it comes to revalving, but after playing around with different spring rates and valving patterns for the past 10 years on my previous sled, I pretty much came to the conclusion that a lot of low speed dampening (both compression and rebound) with moderate to light high speed valving makes for a pretty good ride with little trade-offs. Springs were just selected to control the ride height and nothing more. I was once "backwards" with my valving and experienced the same thing you guys are talking about - bucking on the stutters and severe bottoming in the big whoops. Too much spring rate combined too much high speed and not enough low speed dampening. There is a guy in the SE Michigan area...rebuilds a lot of shocks for local racers...lako.com is his web addy I believe...he does good work but I would pick his brain for answeres and possible solutions.

RSD said:
you mean it could be that simple? where would I get those specs?

http://www.lako.com/foxtalk.html

His website sucks, but if you send him an email message he'll get right back to you. I don't remember his name....anyway I visited him last fall because my dad's XC600 needed some major valving changes. We had a long chat - he started his business because he used to race 440 XC sleds and he would send his shocks out for a revalve and they would come back so messed up that he would almost kill himself on the race course. So now he mostly rebuilds and revalves shocks for the local racers out of his garage. Does like 90% of his work for racers, 10% for trail riders now. He has a 2 year guarantee that the shock will not blow, and I think he will also revalve again for free if you're not satisfied. Anyway, just something I thought I would throw out there - his services are not cheap either - I think the XC6 valving was around $160 for both rear shocks with his "quad valve" stack. Dude does nice work. Not a bad guy to hook up with if your in the SE Michigan area.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Forearm pump means you're using muscles more than usual, which in turn means you're riding hard, so that's good ! I recommend you start going to the gym... :tg: JK Yamahnator....
No seriously, I've been training since 93, competed in bodybuilding 3 times, MuscleMag International Bio in 01, and I still get arm pump like a SOB. It sucks, the more muscle you have, the more sore you get, the more calories you burn, and the more food you require/eat, which all adds up to $$$$. I should have been a runner... :o| :exc:

Ask any motocrosser....arm pump is mental, has nothing to do with how strong you are.....

Now I am starting to worry,I ride pretty agreesive and I am about 180 with gear on. I hope this sled is not going to be to heavy.

Don't sweat it....the sled has SO many adjustments to make it right for you! The trick is to be patient enough to figure out what works best for you!

Back