• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil change question oil gallery bolt 06 apex

and yes I know what kind of bolt it is . the term of this certain bolt is called a gallery bolt in the manual. I actually never heard of this type I just called it that because that's what they call it in the manual, maybe because of its location im not sure.

Last edited:

Never seen that before but i will never do that. I'd never take the risk of damaging the motor just to get a few onces a of oil out. not sure if that is the same on the newer Apex's

and yes I know what kind of bolt it is . the term of this certain bolt is called a gallery bolt in the manual. I actually never heard of this type I just called it that because that's what they call it in the manual, maybe because of its location im not sure.
06_apex, I think it's a type-o in the manual. It should read, "oil galley." I believe this is a pressurized port straight from the oil pump. The only time I've ever heard of someone opening this port is at start-up after a re-build or the sled has been laid over and lost oil prime. I guess a guy could crack the plug if oil pump operation was in question though?

You are correct; the seat and gas tank would need to come off, unless you can remove the secondary and get a wrench/socket on it?

Last edited:
I didnt think it was the drain plug I figured it was some thing like this thanks for posting. I have never touched that bolt in all my apexes and have done every oil change my self if you dont get oil pressure the gauge cluster will let you know in fact on innital start up it will show low oil pressure and it will go away in less then 30 seconds. if low oil pressure reading dont go away in guage cluster then i would look into that.

ok perfect thanks for the info guys appreciate it

Yep I would say another one of those instructions for engine rebuild and restart.

People still insist on dumping oil into the engine after changing the oil. Earlier someone said they dump oil into the PVC tube. Its a dry sump all oil comes from the tank to the oil pump. Dumping oil into the motor is pointless and does nothing to ensure oil pressure. High pressure pump that is your engines life giver feeds from the tank.

the motor will get oil pressure faster on startup if you add 3/4 of a quart to the engine .
I've done hundreds of them and you can hear a little rattle on startup if you don't.
but not a huge deal for most people

It will not get oil pressure any faster. Its a dry sump, oil to the engine comes from the tank. It does not come from the engine like your car!

Back