• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL Change

I think most people, including me, would be inclined to say yes. And give all sorts of reasons why it's a good idea. That being said, I'll bet you could never change the oil in one of these and the motor would still far outlast the rest of the sled. If you don't feel like changing it, don't bother.

I say Change it as acids happen, moisture gets in over summer and additives loose there punch and who knows what else.

You should always change your oil after storage in everything you own.
your engine contaminates your oil in a lot of ways. get rid of it.

idahorider said:

Actually, you should change the oil before storage so that all those contaminants aren't sitting in there all off-season.

snerkman said:
idahorider said:

Actually, you should change the oil before storage so that all those contaminants aren't sitting in there all off-season.

Thats very debateable. If you change your oil before storage then it sits in the oil tank and engine all spring, summer, and fall while the temp goes up and down constantly and creates condensation that, inturn ends up in the oil. So then you have old, watered down, oil in your sled when its time to ride and your engine is running 10,600 RPM... On the other hand if you don't change it before storage, you leave contaminants in the oil all summer. HOWEVER... I figure I might need to start my sled during the summer to move it or whatever.. If you start it and don't ride it you don't load the plugs, and therefor you contaminate the oil more... So if I allready have old oil in my sled during summer, then If I need to start it during the summer for some reason, Im only contaminateing old oil that is gunna be changed in the fall anyway..

Thats my theory, everyone has their own but thats mine.. Its a toss up but I feel its better to have fresh, clean oil in the motor when its running 10,600 RPM rather than oil that has been sitting in a metal tank for 6-8 months...

We are all guility

I love this forum but it is funny that a lot of the questions on here are already answered by Yamaha. I am just as guility as anyone but we all ask al lot of questions that Yamaha has told us what to do - in the manual they advise changing the oil at the end of the season. They made the product and supply the warranty so I am going with what they say.

Have a great day everyone!

Mark

LOL.. You'd be surprised how much of what yamaha has told us to do is WRONG or not the best option. They have lots of other motives when they "answer our questions" I know what fluctuation in ambient temperature does inside a metal tank, so Im changing my oil in the fall....

This site has alot better information than you could get from yamaha, IMO. The people on here are not trying to sell you something, they are speaking from experience... To me, thats better information than yamaha is gunna give us... To each his own...

See ya....

Common sense says don't store a engine with used oil, best to store will new clean oil.

Change it, run is for 15 min. and park it.

every year before i put them away for the season, oil & filter change, chain case gear oil changed, sled cleaned and waxed, greased, all idler wheels off and re-packed with grease, lightly spray everything with w/d 40 except clutch area,fog motor, take belt off, take battery out, block all areas so animals can't get in, give her a hug, cover her up.....saves a lot of time in the fall

If my engine is so senative to the intangible amount of moisture and acids in the oil when deciding whether or not to change it before or after the season, then I guess mines gonnal blow. There she blows.........

jf

I now it is just me but I always change the oil and filter annually on both my Apex and Nytro whether it needs it or not. In the off season my son and I basically strip the sleds, remove the skids, and inspect, clean, paint, and replace anything that looks worn. Great Bonding project (LOL) and can be perfomed at your leisure.

:rocks:

Z15 said:
Common sense says don't store a engine with used oil, best to store will new clean oil.

Change it, run is for 15 min. and park it.

I think common sense says don't run an engine at 10,800 rpm for several minutes at a time, for 3-4 months of riding with old, watered down oil in it.. Id much rather store it with some minute amounts of acids in the oil than run my engine all season on oil that has sat in the tank and engine for 8 months and gained a significant amount of condensation..

When I want my oil to be at its freshest and best is when Im running the motor, not when its sitting in my shed...

Not to mention, when you store your sled most of the oil is in the tank, What little bit is left in the engine is all in the base of the engine and not touching many of the engines internal parts.... And if you do change it in the spring, what happens if you need to start the sled in the off season??? Can't do it?? or what??

Think about it...

I change my oil before the season,but i don't let the machine sit,i start it 2-3 times a month,on a stand in off season--keeps seals wet,injectors pumping, fuel flowing.i do that with all my stuff inc saws, wackers,mowers,quads,bikes etc just not the boat or waverunners..everything runs smooth when ready to go.so i change my oil before i use it.im sure you would of been ok to leave it in and run it a full tank of fuel then change it.Amsoil's good oil imo..

Back